Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Do we need a new Superman? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

Often however, I hear from the civilian population that Superman's costume is silly, in particular his "wearing his underwear on the outside". I'm sure many of you have heard similar things.

The costume has been updated several times over the years and honestly I don't think removing the red trunks is that big of a departure.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd care either and I'm sure there's a better design out there. But you're talking about changing one of the most recognizable characters on the planet that is already massively successful for no real gain. Superman with a new costume might spike comic sales briefly, but it won't have an overall effect anywhere else and could likely have a "New Coke" reaction from the masses in general. There's simply not much to be gained for DC, and as a business decision, I'd advise against it.

And, as you said, you ended up liking Superman in spite of the trunks. So, they apparently don't matter much anyway.

Back to Top profile | search

Rance Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

I like him regardless, as a matter of fact he is my favorite comic book character. If there really was a strong negative reaction to the change in outfit they could always change it back however. Besides, Batman got a costume redo a few years back, why not Superman?

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

Batman? Looks like the same costume as always, with a slightly different chest logo.

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

There's plenty of black and white pics of Superman out there - why don't
someone color it up?

Me, I can see it in my mind and it doesn't fit. What he has now works.

Rance Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

James, they made Batman's suit all black a few years ago. They've gone back to the black and grey version lately and then of course there is the blue and grey version from several years ago.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

Bat-Man doe too have red trucks,
but those he wears under his costume. ;-)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

"By some among us comic geeks, yes. So what? "

You take a single line of my post out of context, and ask "so what?" -- when the rest of my post explained the "so what?"  I don't get it.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

Grant Morrison has done some clever stories in the past, and I've had an up and down appreciation for his work. Up on the counter JLA story, a wavering up and down on X-Men (it started out with a number of interesting ideas but tanked at the end)

All- Star Superman has been a real joy to read. It has been a near perfect call back to the glory days of DC. The essentials of a Mort Weisenberg story are still there, in the DNA of the stories, presented as fresh as new. It's been everything people would say was outdated but it works fantastically well. I know it can't last, Grant has a way of breaking his toys in the end. But I still think these characters even, or I should say ESPECIALLY those that are "outdated" have plenty of life in them.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 12:02am | IP Logged | 9  

"It was long before my time, but "Man of Tomorrow" makes me think that at some point in his career Superman was thought of as a futuristic and/or forward thinking hero, while today he's almost always thought of in retro-terms."

Coca-cola has been around forever and no-one thinks of it as retro. Same with Superman in American culture. Who cares how a few comic geeks obsess about Superman and his trunks.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 06 February 2007 at 12:02am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Tuma
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 10  

Who is to say the red is underwear or swimtrunks anyway? It could just be a band of red color across that part of the costume couldn't it? The Christopher Reeve suit looked like it was all one stitched garment, and the belt was just a decorative afterthought.

Carl Dompok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 11  

I believe that Superman should never deviate from the red,blue and yellow suit because that's what sets him apart from the rest besides his character.A red, blue and black combination suit looks good but forgetable.

To press my point even further; another character who shares the same colour scheme and endurance as an easily recognisable character.....Noddy....

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 12  

Keep the red panties. No changes. Superman should be the easiest character to write in all of comicdom. I love how everyone whines that there's nothing big enough to challenge Superman with. All that is required is a sense of proposing new threats that are stronger than Superman. That's not difficult. "Justice League Unlimited" has nailed how this can be done. Why address Superman's pushing planets around when Marvel has Spider-Man lifting cars but he can't knock out Doc Ock with one punch?

Superman does not under any circumstance need to be updated. Almost the whole draw of the character for me is that he belongs to a different time, before cell phones and computers and reality television turned the whole world into a simpering mass of boredom-killing humanoids. Superman is the moral/ethical compass for an entire civilization. That's what he represents. Leave him that way.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version