Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: OT Avatars (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

<---- Mine is from JB's cover of Magnitude # 1 (my upcoming book from
Ape Entertainment).

I'm glad someone made this thread... I've been wondering for a while why
people choose what they do for their avatars. Very cool!

-Greg

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ernest Degollado
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

I also tend to remember people on the JBF by their avatars so when someone changes it throws me off for a couple of posts. I chose mine because my high school friends used to call me Mr. Fantastic and I've always found JB's portrayal of Reed (both artistically and characterization) to be my favorite.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ernest Degollado
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 3  

Brian: If the CCA knew you better they might not approve! :)

John OConnor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've used 4, basically......a "solarized" version of the worst picture of me ever taken......

Then, two nicknames I've had for awhile.......

And finally, just to be different.......

Sorry about the size -- couldn't figure out how to resize.....

typo'd

Edited by John OConnor on 10 October 2006 at 6:21am
Back to Top profile | search

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 5  

mine is myself in front of a computer. In the larger version you couls see what was the website ( a site from one of my friends in the US ).

The rule was to use a photo of yourself, back then...

And I may consider to change it sometimes, maybe...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Dan Bowen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 6  

Mine is currently Biggie Smalls, cuz Biggie Smalls iz the illest.  I have had Obelix, Sam the Eagle and a demi-god from Star Trek.  I like changing them.

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 7  

I favour sticking with the same ones - I feel like someone is a little slippery when their avatar changes too often....illogical, I know, but it's like not trusting someone whose eyes are too close together. 

Mine is The Edge, because when I posted a photo of myself a while back Mike O said that's who I was. 

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 8  

James Hudson from Alpha Flight. 

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 2:09am | IP Logged | 9  

John Webb wrote (in response to my question on who Jack Straw is):
"he is one of our most left wing and Muslim friendly MP's who is in trouble for saying that Muslim women who totally cover the face with a burka can be difficult to read in conversation. Needless to say condemnation from 'community leaders' soon followed"

Thanks for sorting that out, John. And thanks for the link. Interesting.

Jo Harvatt wrote (on Jack Straw):
"He asked muslim women coming for advice if they would unveil because he found it uncomfortable talking to them when he couldn't see their full face. What a cissy!

I thought it rather presumptuous, myself and doubt his ingenuousness - does he ask people wearing tinted glasses or sunglasses to remove them when he is talking to them I wonder because personally I find it more unsettling when you can't make proper eye contact - the windows of the soul and all that."

Well, I can understand the notion of discomfort, seeing that we have such image ridden society. I do agree that the covered eyes is probably more sensitive in a way, but also think that a lot of doctors et al would ask someone to remove them. I know I probably would if I was having an important conversation (and unless there was an obvious immediate need for the sunglasses, like the person having to face the sun, that is).

You then have to add the cultural difference factor. From where a lot of us are coming, apart from superheroes who are rather absent in our reality, masked faces have a tendency to go with hooligans, criminals and terrorists, i.e. people who want to hide their identity for vicious purposes.
I don't think anyone would appreciate a man in a balaclava coming into a bank, and on one level the face covering veils, I think, can give the same signal (depending on context) even though it is not intended.
In today's sadly somewhat Islamophobic atmosphere, I would understand, though not condone, such a wariness towards women in veils seen as masked strangers.

As always, it's complicated stuff and with many layers.

Jo also wrote:
"Yes, as you will gather from my posts I am a pretty devout feminist, I just meant I wasn't religious."

Oki. So many things to be devout about though. ;)

Frank Lauro wrote:
"Mine is a head shot of Captain Benjamin Sisko, commanding officer the titular space station in STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE.  It's a show I liked (and continue to like, thanks to some overpriced DVDs)."

My favourite Star Trek show and Star Trek "captain". So Frank... should I call you "O Captain my Captain" from now on? ;)

Frank also wrote:
"That idea about changing avatars at 1,000 posts sounds interesting.  Hmmm..."

Indeed it is... it'd give me quite a while to think about it, since I just passed one hundred pretty recently.
It'd be sad to not see the Sisko face in the forum if you changed though.

On a totally different topic, or rather back to the main thread topic, as has been touched by many... the avatars are really part of what makes one recognise people in here, and as Ian Evans said, it doesn't instill too much trust if the avatar changes too often.
Then again, IRL I love playing around with having beard or not and the type of beard, so, maybe I'm changing too much to be trusted myself. ;)

L&B,
JJ3  a.k.a.  The Mad Swede

Edited by Joakim Jahlmar on 10 October 2006 at 2:10am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jo Harvatt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 2:55am | IP Logged | 10  

Frank wrote:
Great idea for a thread, Jo.  I often find myself wondering about the significance and origin of certain avatars.

greg wrote:
I'm glad someone made this thread... I've been wondering for a while why
people choose what they do for their avatars

Thank you kindly its nice to know that even mouthy attention grabbing females have their uses.

Actually John yes I am very protective of my photographed image but identity theft is a general concern, I am always surprised about the amount of personal information people will give out over the net - and it all adds up.

Jo Harvatt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 2:58am | IP Logged | 11  

Joakim, you are right the veil issue is complex.

I find it mildly ironic that I am in the position of defending the use of the veil when I totally abhor it's rationale, but that's life!

Jo Harvatt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2006 at 3:02am | IP Logged | 12  

Dan, didn't you used to have an avatar of a guy looking up to the right? Who was that guy?

It always made me laugh because it looked as if he was gazing up at the previous post in mild disbelief!

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version