Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
...a long history of interacting on the internet

You make it sound so tawdry, Mike.

I've posted casually on Byrne's board going back maybe a year or two into the days of the Magnus board. I've agreed with his points quite often, even if I don't always post to say, "Right on," and argued vehemently on a few issues with which I disagree with him. Personally, I don't think I've crossed the line into "damn the facts, damn common sense" territory, but if the host of the board thinks I have (and yeah, I recognize that he didn't call me out specifically in this thread)...hey, it's his world, I just find enough to enjoy here to keep posting in it.

That said, I've never thought of myself as having any "history" with JB. I'm a poster on his board who disagrees with him sometimes. "History" makes it all sound so melodramatic, and as I near a thousand posts, I want to say you could probably look back through 'em all and you'd find only disagreements - not the "troublemaking" you seem to be implying but tiptoeing around.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 2  

Let's all be honest here. If JB were twenty years younger, and was pen pal's with Joey the Q and Bendis, his persona would be considered to be cool.

Myself, I like interesting people with backbone more than I do people overly concerned with perceived image. Having a temper and speaking your mind, and being a truly bad person, are two completely different things. Occasionally JB will be angered by things that puzzles me, but often I can see were he's coming from.

Unlike some, I originally came to the boards because I was a fan of his work.
Back to Top profile | search

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 3  

Well, that's fair, too, Dave, but it's not like you're a stranger, and it's not like you've never disagreed with him.

I guess the way I see it is that it wasn't worth all the "outrage" when he said it to you - it was a shrug inducing incident at best.  There are other people, even regulars here, where it would be a more odious crime, but it was, at best, a "meh" moment.

But that's easy for me to say - I'm not the guy he called an asshole... so, let's put the shoe on the other foot - since you, like me, have been around going back to at least the Magnus board days, I think we can agree that there are things that Byrne is pretty clear on, and it's pretty clear what he likes, doesn't like, etc.

Thus, you have the complete fredom to bring up said topics (one notes, despite rumors to the contrary, you are not banned, and you are allowed to think differently), but you are also expected to face the consequences of your actions.

Which, in this case, was that you were called an asshole.  

I keep coming back to this in most discussions about Byrne's on-line behavior, but... let's say I know you don't like eating meat.  Let's say you invite me over to your house.  Let's say I start going on and on about how savory meat is.  Let's say we've had this song and dance before....

Can you look me in the eye and say that you'd smile, hug me, shake my hand, buy me a car, fall to your knees and fellate me?

No, I'd pretty much be expecting to be called an asshole at that point.

I'm not saying you're an asshole, Dave.  I've always gotten along with you... but you're certainly not some innocent victim here.

I often wonder where the outrage is when our own Joe Zhang is called an asshole all over the internet, including on this very board.  I also wonder why, when charges of racism are tossed at Byrne, people "forget" the infamous con flyer that went around whereby the "artist" used some radom Asian guy as Joe.  Our Joe Zhang didn't even rate a real face.  He's just some Asian guy. 

The hypocracy of Byrne's detractors is sickening.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 4  

smell roses in spain, you lover

Edited by Mike O'Brien on 03 July 2006 at 2:17am

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
...but likewise, are you concerned with the fact that you've been made a martyr all over the interweb?

I have to confess: I'm mostly just bemused. Seems like it's the best way for my brain to process the surreality of my name being splashed over message boards everywhere alongside a dismissal from one of the creators most responsible for me getting into comics.

Are the quotes being taken out of context? Yeah, a bit, but you'll have to forgive me if I don't rush out to try to put out the brushfires that erupted when I was called an asshole! It just seems a bit much to expect, y'know? Just 'cause I wasn't particularly mortified by it doesn't mean I see myself as a frontline fighter in defending it.

Honestly, I try to avoid internet drama, so my role in this strange, mildy amusing internet meme is to ignore it and let it pass into last week's news.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 6  

Scratch an offendee, find an offender.

Sean Mulligan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 7  

"I don't call people idiots or assholes until they have given their absolute best effort to proving the appelation to be accurate."

I didn't say that you didn't.  I don't doubt that you have seen every instance as being justified.  My point was that the casual reader probably won't see it that way. 

I like a good argument as much as the next person, and I understand how tempers can flare, and things can be said that are uncalled for. But if you can look at some of your posts objectively, as someone without an awareness of any history between you and the other poster, and tell me that you don't come off as a bit harsh, than I honestly don't know what else to say. 

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 8  

Here's the thing -- the very fact that Dave understood where JB came from
in that comment and can shrug off being called an asshole for his differing
opinion on a quite volatile subject and continue to interact civilly and
contribute to this internet community speaks volumes about his character
and
the character of those who may be outraged of offended on his
behalf outside of this community.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 9  

"I often wonder where the outrage is when our own Joe Zhang is called an asshole all over the internet, including on this very board.  I also wonder why, when charges of racism are tossed at Byrne, people "forget" the infamous con flyer that went around whereby the "artist" used some radom Asian guy as Joe.  Our Joe Zhang didn't even rate a real face.  He's just some Asian guy. "

Thanks for mentioning that, Mike. I wasn't upset or suprised, in fact I was in fanboy heaven in a perverse sort of way. But I did feel concerned about the person they took the face from. He's a real person and didn't deserve that.

As for being called an asshole, I admittedly do behave like one at times. But never inappropriately.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 10  

Actually Dave was quite upset, bringing up the matter again a day later. I don't blame him. On the other hand, I don't read pedophile comic books. 

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 11  

Of course the biggest mistake with casting a random Asian guy as Joe is that he's really a Japanese schoolgirl. We've all seen the picture.

Edited by Taavi Suhonen on 02 July 2006 at 10:01am

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 12  

I think what's really needed is a giant group hug. We should all meet at a neutral site, say somewhere in Nebraska, hug each other, cry, and let it all out until all ill will and misunderstanding is cast to the wind never to return to sully our lives.

(And let me clear up something I said earlier that, in retrospect, seems harsh. I don’t for one second blame Christopher Reeves for trying to find a cure for his disability. I just wanted to be clear on that. )

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version