Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 1  

Seriously, I can't understand the whole anti-JB thing. He writes well, he draws well, and his comics always come out on time. I've read enough of his work to be able to distinguish the distinct voices he gives each of his characters, and I consider myself intelligent enough to realise that maybe none of them reflect JB's own thoughts or opinions. Superman is different from the Thing, who is different from Wonder Woman, who is different from the Demon, etc.

Just because the characters act in a certain way, negative or positive, it doesn't automatically reflect  the author's P.O.V. or lifestyle, does it? Or else we might be locking up the Clive Barkers, Stephen Kings, Anne Rices, and yes the Alan Moores of the world (Swamp THing alone . . .)  wouldn't we?  John Byrne has the most excellent job in the world, and I think he's done an excellent job of entertaining readers of his books. What more need be said? It's not like he's Jack Chick.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 2  

It always amuses me when a reviewer calls a book "literary". Well, duh.

Especially when they use the word to describe a graphic novel. What, were all those plain old comic books "illiterate"?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 3  

Steve, Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines "literature" as:

"writings having excellence of form or expression and expressing ideas of permanent or universal interest."

Not expressing an opinion one way or the other about Lost Girls, since I'm not particularly interested in reading it, but describing something as "literary" does mean more than just "a book".

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 12:54am | IP Logged | 4  

Floyd Kermode: There are many delightful threads here and JB's art has brought pleasure to many, but this place frequently gives the impression of a forum that is run by a troll.

If you think this place is run by a troll, then I wonder how you feel about most other comic-related message boards?  You must not visit many of them because most of what I see out there is nothing more than verbal masturbation, bolstered by frequent expletives and elitist garbage.  That this place has more than a modicum of civility to it, and that it does not suffer the fools lightly, makes it a decent and enjoyable place to come to.

To me, this place is like going out to dinner with long-lost friends and spending the evening catching up.  Most other message boards are like visiting a run-down crack house full of feces-slinging monkeys (no offense to feces-slinging monkeys).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 5  

Dave Farabee wrote:
Mike, how do you know this? Do you have an advance copy we don't know about?

Why do people keep saying this?  Hasn't at least half this book been previously published?  Didn't Moore begin this project over a decade ago?  One could ask if someone has read what has been published, but I think it's totally without merit to ask if someone has an advance copy.

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Why do people keep saying this?  Hasn't at least half this book been previously published?  Didn't Moore begin this project over a decade ago?  One could ask if someone has read what has been published, but I think it's totally without merit to ask if someone has an advance copy.

It's one thing to question Moore's rationale, but Mike was assessing the book as if he'd read it ("Lost Girls is like Madonna's Sex book"). I'd like to know if he has. Or, sure, even if he's read the early chapters.

Of course, given Mike's decision to condemn the ENTIRE medium of comics outside of Byrne's work, I have to admit - I don't know that I could give his assessment much credence. His is a level of radicalism I can't wrap my mind around.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 7  

Nope

Edited by Mike O'Brien on 03 July 2006 at 1:33am

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 8  

Ok I read Moores rational. Cant say I agree with it. Sometimesa cigar is just a cigar. Though using those characters does provide a hook for the story and the reader. The story could be told with original characters, but would lack that hook and the free publicity it causes.

Edited by Mike Norris on 03 July 2006 at 1:20am

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:30am | IP Logged | 9  

Comparisons to Hitler, NAMBLA, and serial killers all in one paragraph. That's great, Mike. Way to disprove the radicalism I mentioned in my last post.

Matt, you jumped on me for asking Mike if he'd read a book. You okay with him likening me to Hitler and the worst examples of humanity ever to walk the earth? Where's that fall on the sliding scale of causes to defend? 'Cause I think it's a little more egregious than asking if someone's read a book.

Keith Elder
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 10  

...like Madonna's Sex book - you can't really stroke to it...

Wait... you can't?  What a waste of fifty bucks...

Anyway...

I think the biggest problem is that the world is full of Goddamn Pansies who get absolutely horrified if somebody bluntly denounces one of their sacred cows as... Stupid.  Bad.  Trivial.  Those are weak people, who elevate their feelings about a matter over the truth of things.  Disagree with JB.  Argue with JB.  That's all good.  But get your feelings hurt, pitch a fit, and start rumours?  My twelve year old has outgrown that stage.

JB looks at things, makes up his mind, and says what he thinks.  And that's the reason I like this forum.  I don't always agree with what JB says... but I would rather disagree with him than agree with some weasel that is trying to be 'sensitive' about my feelings.

The older I get, the more I enjoy crotchety people.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 11  

Never mind.

Edited by Mike O'Brien on 03 July 2006 at 1:32am

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 12  

I take back all the nice things I said about you - you're bending over backward to slavishly support your fucking master, a creep who writes smut.

Jesus Christ, you sicken me.

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version