Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Christopher Priest about the comic industry (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 1  

Heck, there's me trying to be polite and not spell the word out and I get dissed for using an extra *. Oh, f***! Is that better? Then again there's worse things to be criicised for on the Internet.

Joe Z got my point - when creating something like a comic book, an artist or writer can't be looking to the future about his legacy, he/she should only be concerned with doing the best work the can in the here and now, and let history worry about where the chips fall. Marvel and DC are not museums whose job is to preserve the past. It is to make comics and money now and hopefully in the future.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Günther Seydlitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 2  

Marvel and DC are not museums whose job is to
preserve the past.

They should better be.
Marvel and DC are not publishing companies known
for their wide variety of genres or topics. All they do is
living off the legacy. Once the legacy is gone, the
American comic book industry will be gone.
Back to Top profile | search

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:

.. It is to make comics and money now and hopefully in the future.

Too bad they are doing such a shitty job at it.  

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 4  

Please delete.

Edited by Glenn Greenberg on 15 January 2006 at 9:38am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 5  

Tell that to the Bucky fans who saw their icon murdered, the Human Torch fans who saw their favorite android reimagined as a teenage boy, and the Namor fans who saw him remade into a villain & Atlantis destroyed.

By the 1960s, those people represented a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of the total audience. Most readers, like myself, were totally unaware that there was a Captain America in the 1950s, or an android Human Torch.

As to Namor, you demonstrate a rather profound ignorance of the character if you think the guy who turned up in FF4 was substantially different from the Golden Age version.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

If people want to write cutting edge, sophisticated storylines that shatter old stereotypes of comics I am all for it. However, create your own fucking characters to do so and leave the icons alone! When animators create something that breaks the mold they make The Simpsons, South Park, or Ren and Stimpy. They don't go to work for Disney and fuck up their money making characters.

Comic book fans are a funny lot. On one hand we scream that we don't want the same old comic book stories but we refuse to leave our childhood favorites when they don't supply us with something different. We want to read Spider-Man but complain when he battles Doc Ock too many times. We expect the comics to be transformed for our enjoyment because we are too lazy to stop collecting certain titles and find new titles that might quench our thirst for something different. In case they haven't noticed for the last forty years there has been an independent market putting out comic books that are filled with off beat superheroes, non- superhero, adult storylines, and some even done that are of high quality.

The selfish fan reading X-Men doesn't want to grow up and away from his Wolverine fix so he demands that Marvel change the character to keep him happy. What Marvel and DC doesn't understand is that those guys are too selfish to even stop collecting if they never catered to their demands. The companies became so scared to lose the comic fans left after the crash they failed to realize the audience that was left were the lifers who would keep on buying if the market was strong or weak. By changing the comics for the outspoken fans they alienated all the fans that didn't whine and complain and were happy. Worse yet they cut off accessability for a new audience to join the ranks of comics collecting. Worst of all a great deal of these outspoken fans took over as creators, editors, and publishers.

Edited by Paul Greer on 15 January 2006 at 1:44pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

One of my longest "Voice Crying in the Wilderness" rants has been simply this: when you start to find the stories "boring" and "predictable", when the reaction engendered by the latest issue of CAPTAIN FONEBONE is one of staggering ennui, IT'S TIME TO STOP READING THE #%$#ING COMIC BOOKS!!!

In no other form of entertainment -- NO OTHER FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT!!! -- are the characters and storylines expected to "mature" along with the audience. (Setting aside that this expectation in said audience is a sure sign of immaturity.) Christopher Robin is not expected to grow up and have kids of his own. Peter Pan is not expected to get over his childish ways and get a real job. Harry Potter fans do not demand that he age in "real time". Outisde of a few idiots at TV GUIDE, no one seems to think Bart Simpson should have graduated university my now (with a law degree, of course!)

Why are superhero comics, arguably the least "realistic" of any of these forms, the one with a clutch of fans who cannot get over themselves and move on to something else? Fans who DON'T GET IT.

You know -- the next time I go to Burger King, I think I will complain to the manager that they don't serve filet mignon and a good gin and tonic!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

…write and draw comics that you love and that you think fans will love.  But NEW FANS.  Don't mock, condescend, and wink at your crony fans.  Write an awesome story for a 14 year old, with a decent story (or healthy portion thereof) in each issue.

The "wink" is perhaps the biggest problem of all, as it is surely the most basic. Just the other day, Paul Kupperberg and I were discussing the various attempts we had seen in recent years, by different writers, to do "Silver Age" style stories -- and how badly most of them missed.

Why did they miss? Because the writers could not resist that "wink" to the audience. "Hey! Isn't this goofy shit, man? Those old stories were so goofy! Haven't I captured that just exactly?"

Well, no, bonehead, you haven't. Because those stories weren't goofy. Not to the people writing them. Read as many Golden and Silver Age stories as you like, and you will find nary a "wink", nary a page or panel, caption or balloon, that says "Well, we're really so much better than this material, so laugh along with us, you fellow sohisticates!"

When I did the 1958 chapter in G1, "Strange Days", featuring Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite, I knew I would fall flat on my face -- deservedly so -- if there was even the whisper of a suggestion that my story was being presented with a mocking tone. I knew I had to make it as "goofy" as I could -- but play it absolutely straight. As did Gardner Fox, and John Broome, and even pre "Marvel Age" Stan Lee.

The rot set in around the early 1980s, when more and more fans-turned-pro came in and steadfastly refused to treat the characters with respect, and the books as anything but their private little fanzines. People claiming great love for the "good old days" -- and then taking every opportunity to tear that stuff apart. At the time, I said it was if a whole new "generation" had come in (tho some actually preceded me) whose philosphy was "Remember those great old stories? Let's not do that!"

feh

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2006 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

One of my longest "Voice Crying in the Wilderness" rants has been simply this: when you start to find the stories "boring" and "predictable", when the reaction engendered by the latest issue of CAPTAIN FONEBONE is one of staggering ennui, IT'S TIME TO STOP READING THE #%$#ING COMIC BOOKS!!!

The amazing thing is that so many of these fans *only* read comics and *only* read superhero comics. I'd given up on recommending novels to a fellow comics fan because I know he won't read them. He wouldn't even read stuff like Cerebus or Optic Nerve. No, it's Batman, X-Men, and Spider-Man for him, which is fine, but if it's your end-all/be-all, of course, you're going to unsatisfied. I like McDonald's on (rare) occasion, but if ate every meal there, then... well we all saw that movie.

Because these fans won't grow or change themselves, they force this genre to grow or change. My favorite bar when I was in my twenties isn't the right fit for me now that I'm in my thirties, but if  they'll just make it quieter, clean it up a bit, and serve some twelve-year-old scotch instead of Pabst, it would be perfect!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Günther Seydlitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2006 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 10  

If people want to write cutting edge, sophisticated
storylines that shatter old stereotypes of comics I am
all for it. However, create your own fucking characters
to do so and leave the icons alone!

Nuff said!

By changing the comics for the outspoken fans
they alienated all the fans that didn't whine and
complain and were happy.

It is not just that. The Problem really started in the
70's, when the fans began to take over the industry.
These people did not join the industry to create great
comics or new iconic characters, they joined to play
with their favourite toys, like Spider-Man or the FF ect.
From that point on it was incest all the way.

Jay Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2006 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 11  

Stephen Robinson wrote:
The amazing thing is that so many of these fans *only* read comics and *only* read superhero comics. I'd given up on recommending novels to a fellow comics fan because I know he won't read them.

I hope this is not generally the case, but I'm beginning to suspect it is.  I've always thought the natural progression of a comic fan is to read comic books, then to read science fiction or fantasy novels, and from there the hunger for quality literature and history books.

The real "guilty pleasure" issue is whether you continue to read comic books also, not whether you just read comic books.

Even in a heavy week, I get about 30 minutes worth of reading out of comic books.  Are these non-reader comic fans building birdhouses in all the spare time?

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 12  

Jay Matthews wrote:
Are these non-reader comic fans building birdhouses in all the spare time?

They're imagining what Captain Fonebone's sex life is like.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version