Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: When/Where did everyone begin Collecting/Buying? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ronald, that Space:1999 (#4) was my first JB comic, and a fairly early pickup for me, too.  However, I believe my first actual purchase was Flash 229 (100 pages for 60 cents).  It was a very fun 1974 issue with a golden Age Flash guest appearance and some decently chosen silver and golden age reprints.  I became so enamored with The Flash that I wound up getting all of the back issues from 105 - about 300.  I'm still missing about 15 or so of the Barry Allen issues between 300 and 350 (somehow, Infantino's triumphant return was not so for me, but it was the only time I didn't really enjoy the run.)  I've wondered if #229 had been a dud issue if I would have missed out on the 8,000 issues of Marvel and DC which followed.  It took a while to find, but my comic book store of choice back in Boston was definitely MILLION YEAR PICNIC; the glorious smell of incense and old comics from that place immediately fills my head whenever I think of it even now, 25 years later.

Edited by Rick Senger on 11 January 2006 at 2:33pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

Mine was a BATMAN with CATMAN on the cover done by DON NEWTON, who also did the interiors.

I'd read Batman quite a bit, but then followed GI JOE and TRANSFORMERS, but then back to BATMAN...especially AFTER reading BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS by Barr and Aparo.

MPH

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

The first comic I can remember buying from a spin-rack:

Incredible Hulk Annual, The #11 

I had various comics from younger days and didn't really start collecting with this issue. It wasn't until I started going to the rack looking for Uncanny X-Men that I became a serious comic book person. This was around numbers 172, 173.

Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version