Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: When/Where did everyone begin Collecting/Buying? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

I had various comics and digests that my parents randomly bought for me when I was little, but the first comic I bought with my own money was G.I. Joe #49, which introduced Serpentor in the comic continuity. I think this issue was advertised after the cartoon, which was what prompted me to buy it.
Back to Top profile | search

Brett C. Flechaus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

I had had around 10 or 15 comics already, because my dad would
occasionally bring one home.   But at some point around 1975, I took
my first trip alone to  a candy store in the Tanglewood strip mall in
Yonkers NY( next to Nathans ).   I picked up Avengers 151, which
was the second part of their membership drive.  The issue retold
the membership's entire in's & outs and served as a tour of almost
the entire Marvel U.   I was mesmerized.  Later that year, I moved
across the Hudson River, & met a fellow 6th grader who actually
shopped each week for his comics & I became a collector from that
point on.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

Found a bunch of old comics at my grandmothers house. They belonged to my dad and uncles. Mostly DC from the early Silver Age and prior. When I got home I went to the local Stop-n-Go ( San Antonio, Texas) and picked up a comic. I think it was this one: 

I'm old.

Edited by Mike Norris on 10 January 2006 at 4:38pm

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

I started on Harvey Comics in 1975. Richie Rich, Hot Stuff, Casper and Wendy, etc. I had a little suitcase I kept them in, must have been over 50 of them, and read them all over and over during a three day bus trip from Arizona to Ohio. I had a few Batman Comics too because I loved the TV show and Adam West's Batman was my hero. I tried a few Supermans after I saw the movie, but could never get into them. Then, it was 1978, I think, I stumbled upon this little gem in a King's department store in Lancaster, Ohio, and was instantly hooked by this John Byrne guy's artwork. Been a reader and an avid collector ever since, though I took a break from reading comics for a few years between ages 13 to 18.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Cross
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hmm. store of my first purchases was Lawton's Drugs, Windsor, Nova Scotia

First story i bought with my own money was Spectacular Spider-man #46 with Jack O'Lantern

First comic i remember having was an issue of Batman Family from circa 1977, only things i remember was that it was like a "future" issue with everyone sitting around a coach reminiscing about years ago, the cover had future versions of Clark Kent, Dick Grayson and some assorted femals..

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was given the first few Star Wars comics collected into a single issue for an early birthday, probably 1977 or 78.  Other than a few Archie comics, the fever didn't really take until I received GI Joe #13 on my 10th birthday, then found Alpha Flight #11 in a Waldenbooks sometime later.  My first superhero comic, it made a lifelong fan.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

I grew up with comics in the house. Mostly DCs, Disney ducks, and Harvey titles.
The DCs were bought by my dad, everything else by my mom or grandmother. I always credit comics with my love of reading.
The first book I bought with my own money ( I was nine years old ) was this one:

When I discovered girls, cars, and other diversions I gave up comics with Amazing Spider-Man #140 being the last comic I would ever buy.

Yeah,
Until I saw this:

I would have been about twenty three then.
Damn funny books have had me ever since.

John Price
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

All this talk of spinner racks makes me sad I never found one to put in my comic book room for nostalgia.

Ronald Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

The 7-11 in Yuba City, CA. Far enough from Grand-Dads to get into trouble. Not far enough to escape punishment.
The punishment: "You sit in the car unitl we are ready to leave!"
I had bought an Incredible Hulk and the comic pictured here.
I didn't pay attention to how long I was in the car.
I just kept looking over every panel with glee.

John OConnor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

Charlton comics --the ultimate in failsafe books. There was *always* some Charlton Comics by me -- alot of good ones at that.....

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

The first comic I can remember selecting off the spinner rack for my mom to buy for me was Amazing Spider-Man #80, at a department store called Shopper's City in a suburb of Minneapolis.  I would have been just three at the time.  I know I'd been exposed to other comics before that (I can remember thinking how different Spider-Man was than Superman or Batman) but this issue is the first one I can specifically remember, and I still have the issue (beat-up and coverless, of course).

Amazingly, Shopper's City actually had TWO spinner racks, one located in their grocery area and one in the pharmacy area.  If my memory serves me, for some reason the Marvels and DCs were segregated, with the Marvels being on the pharmacy rack and the DCs in the grocery area. Two spinner racks in one store...  and now spinner racks have pretty much gone the way of the tube tester.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 10 January 2006 at 7:47pm

Sean Hollenhors
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

The hooks sank in during Junior High health class when Pat Racine gave me these:

In Salem, Oregon, where I grew up, there were two comic shops: Rictor's and Rackafratz. Rictor's was downtown by the capitol building and was that lovely kind of dark and crusty comic book store that sort of smelled funny and had old Playboys behind black curtins underneath the back issue bins. They also had Batman #3 in a glass case. Rackafratz was owned by this guy, who upon reflection looked kinda like Todd McFarlane. He was kind of a jerk and always scoffed at people buying comics instead of the sports cards he favored. Both places are looong gone.

Edited by Sean Hollenhors on 10 January 2006 at 8:30pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version