Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

Sure... That's why Peter Parker should wake up one day and find himself out
of that nightmare!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't know. FOr a long time MJ was always named top supporting character in fan polls and there was a lot of complaints when she was removed from the book.

I think they have a significant audience for both keeping and removing MJ and that is a problem for them.  Though maybe less so now that Ultimate and the movies have also established MJ, even more than the real Spidey-verse did for years.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

Peter isn't in a nightmare. He's married to a beautiful woman. Why would he want to wake up?

Mike is right in what he says - most fans (and Quesada) think the marriage is not conducive to good stories. How do you get Peter out of the marriage without alienating fans? Kill MJ (maybe she could be raped before she is whacked, that would be a cool and novel idea for superhero comics); divorce Peter as he is a) secretly gay, b) not so secretly a spider pretending to be a man or c) she's fallen in love with Steve Rogers (I'd put my money on the last one); or pretend it was all a dream and send Peter back to when he was 16, obviously this is the most stupid idea of them all.

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Hee hee! That's the one I like!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

Spider-Man as currently written is kind of like how Superman was prior to JB's Man of Steel: the core concept that made the character so appealing to the general public has been burdened, smothered by layers of junk that decades of lesser talent have tacked on. The marriage to MJ, the Clone Saga, and now this Spider-Totem stuff is more of the same burden. 

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm not sure how the Clone Saga affects him at all anymore. It isn't a barnacle.

The marriage is there-like i said i approve of it when written right and I think it can be and still be true to the character.

Spider-totem? Well, sometimes even JMS ignored it. Seems to me it is something that will be ignored come later writers.

Superman had dropped in popularit. Spider-man -compared to the other sales on the market-has not on a relative basis all that much. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

Lots of things can be written to be "true to the character", yet make Peter harder to relate to for the greater audience. What we are missing are stories and new story elements that are true to the tone of the original, best stories featuring Spider-Man.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 04 January 2006 at 4:31pm

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'll admit JMS's act has worn thin.  I am hoping Peter David might be able to do some fun stories though. Although Spider-man has starred in plenty of good dark stories over the years.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm still in the "Peter Parker should stay 16 forever" camp, which is, of
course, by default the "should never have been married to a hot supermodel"
camp.

And yet I can't bring myself to read Ultimate Spider-Man anymore. I wonder
why that is?

Oh yeah.

Nine panels to fall off a bed.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

This is where the whole "real time" and "aging" bugaboo comes to the fore. If Parker is 16 and has money troubles and sometimes behaves recklessly -- well, that's called "being a teenager". If he's 28 and still dealing with the same stuff (in the same way!) that's called "being a loser".

I remember feeling this way as a kid when I learned that Sting (then still with The Police -- yes, I'm old) was married with kids -- suddenly all those "nobody loves me" and "nobody understands me" songs felt wrong.

I'm not sure how the Clone Saga affects him at all anymore. It isn't a barnacle.

The clone saga is very "illusion of change." You can just ignore it. You can't ignore that Peter is married (a situation that is unfixable unless Mary Jane is revealed to be a clone) or that Aunt May knows his identity. These are drive-by violations of the character.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

I liked the Dan Jurgens Spider-Man with Ben Reilly, because it had the elements of Spider-Man that first got me interested in the character. He was struggling with making it to his job on time and dealing with romantic problems in his civilian identity, while fighting crime as Spider-Man.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

I liked the Dan Jurgens Spider-Man with Ben Reilly, because it had the elements of Spider-Man that first got me interested in the character. He was struggling with making it to his job on time and dealing with romantic problems in his civilian identity, while fighting crime as Spider-Man.

Yet doomed for two reasons: Ben wasn't Peter Parker. The name "Peter Parker" is up there with "Bruce Wayne" and "Clark Kent." As long as he's not using that name, he's going to be considered a "fake." You also lost the great supporting cast if he can't be "Peter" and since he'd been established as having lost five years of his life, it would be hard for him to ever really seamlessly go back to it.

Again: Mary Jane should have been the clone. You solve everything there. Put Peter back in college and never mention his age or marriage again and just start writing him as a teen.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version