Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

Nah, I don't think you are, Wallace.  I know a lot of people, myself included, that have always thought the idea of a married Peter Parker was a huge mistake.  He's married and he has instantly become successful.  No more Peter Parker who can't get a date, it's now a Peter Parker who comes home after a tough day of fighting super-villains to his hot wife.  Puh-leeze.
Back to Top profile | search

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

Put me in the "married equals mistake" camp too.  But it seems that this is the least of his problems currently.

WO

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 3  

...not to mention how much the situation Matt describes completely compromises Peter's convictions that make him Spider-Man!

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

When I was a kid reading comics, if I would've been offered the chance to marry a super-model or become a super-hero, I would've picked the latter before the question was even completely asked!

Well, I didn;t get too many dates as a youngster-well, ok until I was 14. Sure seemed like an eternity back then,.

Besides, as Spidey, I get to do both.

I think I was about 10 when he got married or 9. Was it 86-87? (First comic I ever read about in the newspaper and first I ever sent my mom to the stationary store to pick up the day it came out).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Rowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

I prefer the stories where Peter is single and has problems with his lovelife, but I think that's just because those are the stories I read first.  I think Peter married to a Mary Jane who is a struggling actress/model can work, but they decided to make her a supermodel and then a soap opera star right about the same time the marriage happened.  That's the part that didn't ring true to me. 

I do agree with a point made during the Clone saga, which is that if he had a child Peter would not continue with being a superhero.  I like how Tom DeFalco followed through with that in Spider-Girl, and had Peter join the police department to still meet his great responsibility.  He's still fighting crooks, but doing it in a way that he can take better care of his family.

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

How can a non-profit super-hero, free-lance photographer and, I think he
still is, high school teacher... pay the bills of a supermodel?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

As an aside, while Spidey was always my favorite, it was because I bought into the idea that he would be me if I was a superhero.

I never really had the wish fulfillment thing with Spider-man-private or superhero life, married or not, he never seemed to have a great life.  and his powers were never the powers I would have wished for.  Superman? Yeah. He seemed perfect-perfect powers, perfect life. Spider-man? No.  His powers were weird, even if useful and he could and did get beaten. The superhero who could be me, but not necessarily the Superhero I would wish to be.

That's why, as a kid, I always wanted him to get even more powerful-of course that seems stupid now, but Captain Universe Spidey didn;t seem like such a bad idea then ;)

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 8  

How can a non-profit super-hero, free-lance photographer and, I think he
still is, high school teacher... pay the bills of a supermodel?

When she was a supermodel, she usually paid her own bills, much to his consternation sometimes.  of course than she would lose her job due to some nut or something, and out they go.

Dave Carr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

When she was a supermodel, Peter was earning money from a book that was published of his Spider-Man photos. 

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

I was never sold on a married Peter Parker. Marriage moves the character one step further down life's road... and the soul-searching that a teen can do (with the attendant melodrama) comes off as whiny or worse when it's a 20-something established hero who has a hot, successful wife.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

I prefer the stories where Peter is single and has problems with his lovelife, but I think that's just because those are the stories I read first.  I think Peter married to a Mary Jane who is a struggling actress/model can work, but they decided to make her a supermodel and then a soap opera star right about the same time the marriage happened.  That's the part that didn't ring true to me. 

This is where the whole "real time" and "aging" bugaboo comes to the fore. If Parker is 16 and has money troubles and sometimes behaves recklessly -- well, that's called "being a teenager". If he's 28 and still dealing with the same stuff (in the same way!) that's called "being a loser".

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

"I'm also in the "Doesn't Work" camp when it comes to a married Spider-Man.  Looks like I'm in the minority yet again.  *sigh* "

I would not be at all surprised that if you took a poll you'd find a majority of Spider-Man readers (even in today's ariticially shrunken audience) who think the marriage "Doesn't Work".  I think the problem is that you'd find an even bigger majority that feel killing MJ or a Spider-divorce would work even less.

Mike

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version