Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:12am | IP Logged | 1  

>>They're not only "of African descent." They are African (which does give them some similarities.) And here am I defending a story I'm probably not going to read (just not a fan of Milligan's X-Men, or Hudlin's Black Panther.)<<

T'Challa is African, but Storm is of African Descent, not African. Ororo is from Manhatten, and her father was American, while  her mother was African. As far as their getting married, i wonder how much EARTH X, which showed them as married, is a factor in this.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeff Gillmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 2  

Africa is a continent, not a country!  Using the excuse that 'They're not only "of African descent." They are African' is along the lines of saying someone from Indonesia has things in common and should marry someone from Mongolia.  Both are in Asia.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 3  

Africa is a continent, not a country!  Using the excuse that 'They're not only "of African descent." They are African' is along the lines of saying someone from Indonesia has things in common and should marry someone from Mongolia.  Both are in Asia.

Ah, but isn't this precisely what we do with our insane PC rearranging of terms? Black Americans become "Afro-Americans", even tho Arabs have just as much claim to "African descent" as those from the sub-Saharan part of the continent. Chinese and Japanese both become "Asian", tho you would not likely find too many of them who would encourage the idea that they are the same people!

My personal least favorite of these foolish terms is "Native American". Aside from the fact that there are two Americas (North and South)*, and that there is no truly indigenous people in either, to be "native" one simply has to be born somewhere. I will never be "native American", but my children would be!

* Our seemingly relentless drive to carve the human race into ever smaller portions, increasing rather than discouraging divisiveness, gives us what I consider one of the oddest fairly recent developments, referencing Hispanic peoples as if they belong to a separate "race". Hispanic refers to people of Spanish decent living in Latin America, most usually Cuba, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Spanish is a nationality, not a "race". Unless we are going to decide that the French, Germans, Swiss, Italians, etc are all different "races", we really need to get over this. Hispanic peoples are Caucasian.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 4  

Rather than encourage dividiveness we abhor it. We recoil from that which is different, rather than embrace it and seek it out to learn from. Instead of being a sine qua non en route to our homogenizing of the populous we seem to want to sweep divergences under the carpet!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 5  

I used to think there were three distinct races - Cauacazoid, Negroid and Mongoloid, and that every person either "fit" into one category or was some sort of a blend of two or all three.  However, I have worked with Hispanic students who bristled if referred to as Black (though they may have coloring and features akin to Alfonso Soriano) or who were equally (if not more) offended if you referred to them as White (though they have coloring and features similar to Marilyn Milian).  Most of them also preferred Latino or Latina to Hispanic.

Too bad we can't just do the "Humanoid" thing and call it a day...

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 04 January 2006 at 8:14am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 6  

In Italy there is a saying, "Africa begins at Naples." The true range of skin tones in the Caucasian race puts the lie every time to the term "white". Unless we are albinoes, none of us are white, and those who share the term "Caucasian" range from dark brown to pale pink. So, in fact, do those who are called "black". I have never quite understood why some Hispanic people want to be considered a distinct "race", but, well, wishes and horses, right?

Bottom line -- anything that splits us up more than we already are ("we" meaning humans) is wrong.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 7  

The inanity of some of our racial categories really hit home for me when my girlfriend, who hails from Malaysia, showed me a movie from back home. It was a love story between an ethnic Malay girl and an ethnic Chinese boy. Here I was, watching a movie about an "interracial" relationship, involving racial differences almost any Westerner would have to strain to even notice. I guess people are just really stupid, whatever part of the globe you're from.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 8  

JB: Hispanic refers to people of Spanish descent living in Latin America, most usually Cuba, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Spanish is a nationality, not a "race". Unless we are going to decide that the French, Germans, Swiss, Italians, etc are all different "races", we really need to get over this. Hispanic peoples are Caucasian.

Ethnically, the Spanish may be generally Caucasian but some part of the population traces its ancestry back to the Moorish occupation of the peninsula up to the High Middle Ages; IIRC, the Moors were dark-complected African Muslims. (This is not to dispute JB's point but to affirm that Spain is a mingling of ethnicities from many centuries past.)

Similarly, the intermarriage of Spanish with native Central and South American people resulted in the ethnic subgroup "Hispanic"-- they share some common blood, language and culture (esp. Catholicism) with Caucasians but have more in common (in terms of physical characteristics) with American Indians. I wouldn't suggest that they are a different "race" at all, but are more accurately grouped with the pre-Western settlers of North, Central and South America.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 04 January 2006 at 9:36am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 9  

If demographic trends persist in the direction they seem to be going, eventually (i.e., millennia) there won't be such a thing as "race" at all; there will be less genetic variation in the general population and only isolated examples (throwbacks) of previous traits like light complexions, etc. Unless, of course, we perfect genetic engineering and choose to retain those traits in far-future generations.

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 10  

Is funny to think in those new divisions of races, here in México most of
all have a Spanish ancestor no matter in what time period. There's almost
no single "aborigine" last name left, in only 485 years or so. In the last
century many Arabs groups came to México and now you can see that in
the faces of many Mexicans.

Here in México, in difference with the rest of Latin America, were very few
black slaves during colonial times, most of the slaves were the indigenous
people and the Spanish usually filled their barracks with bastards. Some
times that missed ingredient is what causes a difference when you see a
Mexican, a Colombian, a Brazilian and a Puerto Rican, but it doesn't
matter now that somebody labeled us all as Latinos (personally I hate that
label).

And what JB says is true; Hispanics are Caucasians and Arabs too. Moors
were of darker features but Caucasians.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 11  

Ethnically, the Spanish may be generally Caucasian but some part of the population traces its ancestry back to the Moorish occupation of the peninsula up to the High Middle Ages; IIRC, the Moors were dark-complected African Muslims. (This is not to dispute JB's point but to affirm that Spain is a mingling of ethnicities from many centuries past.)

This is true -- but it is also in the same category as Americans who claim to be 16th Cherokee or some other such nonsense. It's like an insane ghost of the "one drop" rule that permeated the South before (and, to be accurate, after) the Civil War -- the notion that if you had "one drop" of Black blood, you were Black. (I recall reading of a fairly notorious case in which a woman was sold at auction who was 1/64th Black!!)

In any case, the dark caste of Spanish skin, hair and eyes predates the Moors.

As to the intermarriage with "natives" of South America -- these peoples, too, are considered Caucasian. (It has long struck me as decidedly ironic that some of the most racist ideas have sprung up within that race -- Caucasian -- which is easily the most mongrelized of the three!)

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

This is true -- but it is also in the same category as Americans who claim to be 16th Cherokee or some other such nonsense. It's like an insane ghost of the "one drop" rule that permeated the South before (and, to be accurate, after) the Civil War -- the notion that if you had "one drop" of Black blood, you were Black. (I recall reading of a fairly notorious case in which a woman was sold at auction who was 1/64th Black!!)

Talk about "white" slavery! You can sort of wrap your mind around the xenophobia that allowed whites to view blacks as "other" but that sort of thing is even more mind-boggling. You're going to treat as furniture someone who doesn't look that different from your own sister.

A lot of white supremacists will talk about the destruction of the white race, but at lot of the "blame" lies at their own feet. If you keep kicking out members, you're gonna have a pretty empty club.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version