Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 1  

As a fan of Spider-Man, I have never disliked Aunt May. I always considered her to be an anchor to Peter.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

JB (And all of you too) do you have a theory why fans don't like Aunt May? I
always look at her like the heart of Spider-Man life. There where moment of
wisdom, of courage, of tenderness and above all love. I always cared about
the character but then I found that most of the younger fans didn't like her
and always claim for her blood... Is that a generational thing?

Aunt May represents responsiblity. She is a parental influence for Peter. Without her (if she's dead or living in Avengers Mansion), a great deal of what made Spider-Man interesting is lost.

Once the fanboys got in charge, they eliminated the "negative" aspects of Peter's life: No Flash Thompson, no Aunt May (in the sense of Peter living with her and having to explain himself to her), and of course the hot wife.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think it is a generational thing. For me, Aunt May is as integral a part of the Spider-Man mythos as anything else. There's an attitude among the younger sects out there in the entertainment industry to "get to the good stuff." These are the kinds of people that like the abilities or image of a character, but lack the ability to appreciate all the little things that make the character special.

This is the same kind of superficial attitude that allows some "fans" of J.R.R. Tolkien to actually wonder if LOTR's would have been better without Hobbits...

Edited by Robert White on 03 January 2006 at 12:44pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

Yeah, I never got the rancor Aunt May gets from a certain segment of fandom either, Victor.  And I think that's the case; it's a certain segment, not all fans of the character.  In any event, for younger fans she's the authority figure.  Kind, soft-spoken, and loving, but still the authority figure.  I think that maybe when these younger fans you speak of get older, they'll realize their folly in screaming for her head.  What I don't get are the older fans who scream for her death because "everything has already been written about her" or "what more can you say with Aunt May?" or "shouldn't she be, like, 150 years old now?"  Crazy talk from people who should, but don't, know better.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well little to nothing new, or at the very least GOOD, has been done with Spider-Man since the mid-80's...should we call for his head too?

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

Aunt May (with her husband, of course) made Peter Parker what he is.
The spider gave him the powers, but she gave him dignity and goodness. So, she is the most important member of the supporting cast. More than MJ, for me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

"I think it is a generational thing."

I think it's just a difference in when you start reading Spider-Man.  If you start when you're a kid (7-9 years old or so), you just accept Aunt May as a part of the book even if you don't understand the storytelling role she serves.  If you start reading Spider-Man as an adolescent (12 and up or so), Aunt May becomes a natural focus for how most normal adolescents are pissed off with the whole world.

Mike

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

I agree. My introduction to Aunt May was most likely in the very early 80's Spider-Man cartoons on NBC (in retrospect, the first 80's series was the best, Firestar and Iceman where fun, but man did it confuse my little head when finding out that, in the comics, they didn't pal around with Spider-Man or had a joint pad where their sofa and coffee table transformed into a supercomputer...). 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

Don't know where the rancor comes from, but I have
long thought that people who want to see an
innocent old lady killed just because they don't like
her pretty much define "sick f*ck" in my dictionary.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

I see this a lot, though. Readers today, ironically, seem far less tolerant of diversity with regards to characters of different ages and generational differences. I was reading another non-comic related board not long ago, and one poster actually stated that he would be glad when all the baby-boomers "died off." Sheesh.

I was never like this; I've never felt anything but admiration for the achievements of those generations that came before me (but not blind to their faults either). Then again, I've always loved history and tales of "the good old days" as much as I like new breakthroughs in science, ethics, and technology. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

"pretty much define "sick f*ck" in my dictionary."

LOL
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2006 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

I like how Strazinski pretty much shit on and pissed on both Spider-Man and Dr. Strange and M***** gave him full access to do so... I guess Steve Ditko never did anything for them in the first place

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version