Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think Marvel does need to hit the rest button. If they did, and brought in new creators that understood the characters, as well as older favorites, and stop the padded storytelling, I'd give them another shot. How many readers, like me, would they re-gain? They'll never know at this rate.

I've felt for awhile now that marrying off Spider-Man and Superman was a major mistake. The yearning for normalcy, acceptance, and that illusive "soul mate", was a major mythos component for both characters. These characters are not supposed to change that much. There is a basic model that should be stretched, but never broken out of. If creators and fans that can no longer accept the status quo of corporate icons would simply move on to creator owned or independent stuff (of course you can enjoy and do both), the industry would be in a much better place.
Back to Top profile | search

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

Maybe the next big crossover evenet should be Marvel/DC Exorcism: Out Out Damn Spot!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thomas Mets: I believe the Clone Saga/ relaunch were better examples of bad stories that drove readers away than anything JMS has done

Not for me!  I stuck it out through the Clone Saga, because there were elements of Spider-Man there that I still liked, and I knew in the back of my mind that eventually, everything would be put back in order.  Plus, there was some great John Romita Jr and Mark Bagley artwork to at least keep me interested on the artistic side.

With JMS doing his Spider-Totem nonsense, and then the Gwen Stacy/Norman Osborn tryst, I was finally pushed over an edge I never thought I'd go.  I haven't picked up any of the mainstream Spider-Man comics in over a year.  That has never happened before.  And because of the inmates running the asylum right now, I don't feel that eventually everything will be put back in order.  If nothing else, it'll probably get worse.  Oh wait, what's this I hear about an eye being eaten?

Yeah...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm with Robert. The decisions that led to these characters being married were spurred by needs that had nothing whatsoever to do with the books themselves. In the case of Spider-Man, Stan Lee wanted to get them married in the daily comic strip-- God only knows why. The Man should have known better.

As for Superman, Lois and Clark were getting married in the TV show Lois and Clark, after he revealed his secret identity to her. WB probably put some pressure on DC to ensure the books would match their series, which folded about a year later when viewers realized that (duh!) a married L&C were pretty damn dull.

In both cases, the decision to get the characters married played to an aging fanboy mentality (golly, wouldn't it be kewl if L&C and P&MJ finally tied the knot? woohoo!) but betrayed fundamentals upon which the characters were based.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

As for Superman, Lois and Clark were getting married in the TV show Lois and Clark

To clarify, the marriage was supposed to happen until LOIS AND CLARK.  When L&C happened, they asked DC to hold off on the marriage.  Trying to think of something else big instead, they decided to kill him.

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 6  

"The Batman titles started selling a lot better once
Dark Knight was published, then got another boost
from the national media attention of Death in the
Family, and then got a giant push with the 1989
Batman movie, so I'd say that's more a case of
Batman gaining in popularity than Spider-Man
nose-diving."

I don't think that's the case.  Bat-sales (like other DC books) improved and stabilized somewhat after CRISIS, but I believe Bat-titles were still selling about half what Amazing Spider-Man was.  All comic sales fell after the speculator boom/bust, but Spider-Man fell more than other titles because it had more readers to lose.

The point I'm trying to make sales-wise is that Spider-Man used to be read by the same sort of folks who read Hulk or Iron Man or Thor, and it was read by some folks who didn't read those books.  Spider-Man has not only lost the same sort of readers every other comic has lost, it's lost those readers who didn't read other comics.

Mike

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 7  

"I still think JMS has handled Peter and MJ well as a married couple--in
some areas, he's probably handled them the best. It's all the other stuff
he's done with the series that drove me away."

That's the sort of thing that really makes it frustrating as a comic reader today.  There are things that guys like JMS and Bendis do so well but then there are things they do so poorly and doing that poor stuff is just as intentional as the good stuff.  It's not like I can keep reading creators like that and hope they're going to get better.  What's that computer expression - it's a function, not a bug?

Mike 

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

Spider-Man has not only lost the same sort of readers every other comic has lost, it's lost those readers who didn't read other comics.

That might be true, but then, there's a host of reasons casual readers abandoned the industry.

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

there's a host of reasons casual readers abandoned the industry.

Most of my friends who abandoned the comics (most of them) argue the
same reason... To many crossovers, lateness and bad stories, even those
who where in love with the Ultimate Universe are flying away.

In Spider-Man case... In México Amazing Spider-Man was the only comic
published almost non-stop since 1980, first with a weekly schedule later
biweekly so that created a very faithful herd of fans... That's until the clone
saga...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 10  

So Spider-Man married goes against the very idea of the character, but having a 20 year marriage negated by a cosmic reality shift doesn't?  Interesting...

After the marriage, sales were doing pretty well - heck, Spider-Man wound up with a fourth solo title.  Not like there was a plummeting readership.  What seemed to kill the books was the middle/tail end of the Clone Saga, which basically used "comic book" tropes in an effort to undo the marriage.  Didn't go over well. 

After that, there just really wasn't anything particularly great enough to convince readers to come back (and, all respect to Howard Mackie and the other writers, it really was a dumb idea to keep the architects of the Clone Saga around after TPTB at Marvel decided to divorce themselves from it).  Currently, the situations that seem to be driving Spider-Man readers away have nothing to do with the marriage.  It's having the dead girlfriend sleeping with his arch enemy retroactively, Mystic Warrior Spider-Man, etc.  Those stories would be crap no matter what his marital status was. 

Not saying that sales would be lower if he was single or anything like that, but blaming the marriage on every sales hit the Spider-Man books have taken over the last 20 years is just scapegoating.  Some people like it, some people hate it, and for others it's simply been the reality for as long as they've been alive.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 11  

Chatting with Howard Mackie a few minutes ago, we got to discussing a phenomenon that has long frustrated me. Back in the day when the truly anal fanboys were the minority -- and not a vocal minority, via the simple expedient of not printing their letters! -- there was a strange dichotemy in their thinking.

These were the people who seemed to be absolutely convinced that the characters were real. They respond to them as if real. They agonized about their lives. They worried about their precarious situations. BUT, when something "bad" happened to a character, they knew who to blame. When Frank Miller killed Elektra, it was Frank who got death threats, not Bullseye. When Chris and I killed Phoenix, it was we who were threatened with lynching.

Somehow, altho these decidedly odd ducks had convinced themselves that they were going to marry Elektra some day, they still understood enough of the mechanics that when she was killed it was the writer of the story that they blamed.

I confess, there are some segments of fandom that I will never understand -- and would probably prefer not to -- but this one.... this one mystifies me beyond measure.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 12  

all respect to Howard Mackie and the other writers, it really was a dumb idea to keep the architects of the Clone Saga around after TPTB at Marvel decided to divorce themselves from it

Marketing was the "architect" of the Clone Saga, not the writers.

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version