Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Question for JB: What is this? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 December 2005 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 1  

Francesco Vanagolli wrote:
 Eugene Nylander wrote:

That Francesco is such a tease

Er... What have I done, Eugene?

Eugene called you a tease because you found out the illustration is unpublished, but didn't share for what it was originally commissioned. Just a little good natured ribbing, that's all. 

Back to Top profile | search

Jon Juzan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2005 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

My first thought was Betty and Veronica for some reason.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2005 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

Found the website of the series creator (a 25-year old girl!). She has the first few issues online here:
http://digilander.libero.it/mirix/html/fumetti.htm

On a surface read, it seems to be about a girl who uses a sort of super rollerblade suit to fight a group of art thieves. The story gives much more space to the character's daily lives than their motivations. I wasn't able to get WHY she does that and where that suit came from (certainly not the creation of a bunch of teenagers!), but I might have overlooked something (hey, my italian is adequate at best). The art is still a bit raw, but improves slowly in the course of the issues that were on the site. Still below of what I would consider good enough for publication, though.

But what I REALLY don't know is why would anyone comission a JB cover for a small publisher book made by an artist still learning the ropes!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2005 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

To sell more copies of the book?

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 3:42am | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
course, now i'm thinking how cool a matchup would be of byrne doing a "nathan never", "martin mystery", or "dylan dog" comic.

Or Brad Barron. Yep, that's a good idea.

BB is a new series (actually, a 18 issue limited series) featuring Brad Barron, hero from WWII which now lives in the peaceful '50s with his wife and a child. One day, aliens called the Morbs arrive on the Earth and conquer the planet. One year later Brad, who now doesn't know where his wife and daughter are, escapes from a Morb prison, steal a weapon and begins to fight to destroy this new alien enemy. During his long travel through the States, he lives western, horror and strange adventures.

Not a masterpiece, but it's not bad. BB is the only Italian comic I'm reading now. It's a tribute to the American science fiction movies of the '50s, and I think that JB could do a good job on a sci-fi issue...

Issue #1 cover

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 6  

Am I crazy or does Brad Barron look like George Clooney?

By the way, Brad Barron reminds me of Tito Faraci and I recently got a couple of Diabolik issues he wrote. The stories were as good as any Faraci story I have seen, but Diabolik was a pussy on those issues! I mean, he only killed a couple of crooks and in one of the stories he not just let a trio of female thieves that stole the jewels he was trying to rob himself go away, but he GAVE them those jewels!

Diabolik giving something to anyone who isn't his beloved Eva Kant? What madness is this?

What happened to the evilest italian comic character? He wasn't the Diabolik I read when I was younger! Has Diabolik turned PC?

Edited because I forgot a couple of words

Edited by Pedro Bouça on 29 December 2005 at 4:32am

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 7  

Bonelli Editore's characters are often based on actors. Dylan Dog, for example, is Rupert Everett. So, yes, Brad is George Clooney.
BB has been created by Tito Faraci (who wrote the Spider-Man story produced here) and is drawn by several artists. Issue #1 featured artworks by one of our best artists, Bruno Brindisi.

About Diabolik: I don't know what to tell you. Indeed, I am probably the only Italian who hasn't ever read that comic book! I know the character, of course, but he never "hooked" me...

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 8  

i've not heard of brad barron. i've been to italy twice and picked up some of their comics. cannot read them but their interesting to look at. enjoyed the dark horse translations a few years back. however, art adams was the wrong artist for the nathan nevers covers, his style is too clean. mignola for dylan dog and dave gibbons for martin mystery  covers captured the moods of the comics perfectly.

i'd heard about dylan dog being rupert everett which comes full circle with rupert in a movie called "cemetary man" that was originally based on dylan dog (though apparently quickly morphed into something very different though just as strange).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 9  

Art Adams made Nathan Never look like a teenager on his covers! I thought they were quite bad (and I love Adams!).

It doesn't help that Nathan Never has probably the most consistently beautiful covers of any italian series...

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 10  

Franceso wrote:
Bonelli Editore's characters are often based on actors. Dylan Dog, for example, is Rupert Everett. So, yes, Brad is George Clooney.

Makes me wonder, was Martin Mystère (visually) based on an actor too?

Franceso wrote:
About Diabolik: I don't know what to tell you. Indeed, I am probably the only Italian who hasn't ever read that comic book! I know the character, of course, but he never "hooked" me...

Shame on you, man! Diabolik is an italian institution!

Well, at least classic murderous bastard Diabolik. Not the wuss that was on the couple of issues I read! The Giussani Sisters (*) must be rolling on her graves...

(*) Angela and Luciana Giussani created Diabolik some 45 years ago.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version