Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Spider-Man now with spoilers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think it's totally unimaginative and it will reach a point where a stupid explanation/solution will be needed. Then the writer who fixes it will be considered lame. This is the finest example of selfish and sloppy writing/editing/ whatever.

If you have tocome to the point to take an eye out of your biggest gun just to have people talking, you really are in trouble.

Between the Gwen/Norman affair, Gwen's kids, organic webshooters, losing an eye etc, it seems pretty evident they have no intension to write good Spider-Man stories, they only aim to shock the audience.

I will definetely pass....

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

OK, here's my response to whoever it was above that defended this maiming of Spider-Man by saying it should have "long-lasting" effects:

Wrong.  It just means someday another writer will have to write a corny story about how Peter was able to grow back his eyeball.... or how it wasn't really Peter it was a clone/actor/alien....or how SHIELD or Mr. Fantastic was able to create a synthetic eyeball that is just as good as a real one so there's no need to reference it anymore.

No one at MARVEL seems to get the idea that they are playing with other peoples' toys....they continue to break them.....I believe more than ever that soon there will be no toys to play with and no one to really care about it anyway.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
Ahem... excuse me, but there was no slippage... editorial
directive at the time... I HATED having stories continue
from one book to the next!

Im glad to know that Howard.  That was the only thing that bothered me when reading Amazing. 

But I want to compliment you.  I really enjoyed your writing on the book.  You really went along way to fiing many of the problems that had plagued Spider-Man.  Such as managing to make him seem younger. 

You had the right balance of making him seem like a young man, but someone who had been around the block before.  

Back to Top profile | search

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm just glad they're continuing to make sure my kids can't read Spider-Man. Imagine if Spider-Man was family-friendly. How uncool would that be? Not to mention opening the title up to a much, much larger market. That would be so stupid.

And if the stories hadn't crossed over, they wouldn't be able to reprint the same issues at least twice in at least two different Essentials runs, like X-Men and X-Factor and Thor and Power Pack. I mean, I know these books are cheap, but I read half these issues last month.

IMP.

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

And if someone pulls out your eye, do you scream,"Noooo!" or do you scream like a girl and lose consciousness? Since we're being all adult and stuff.

IMP.

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

It's Freudian slip, since the only people people screaming...

" NOOOOOOOO!!! "

...Are the people buying this drivel.

Hey. As long as they don't have to be forced to come up with stories well told and content, it's fine by me. "Just think about it knowing what you know about Wanda".

Man, i swear, if i tried to wipe my ass off with this garbage it'd actually fight me back and punch me in the face.

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

OK, here's my response to whoever it was above that defended this maiming of Spider-Man by saying it should have "long-lasting" effects:

Wrong.  It just means someday another writer will have to write a corny story about how Peter was able to grow back his eyeball.... or how it wasn't really Peter it was a clone/actor/alien....or how SHIELD or Mr. Fantastic was able to create a synthetic eyeball that is just as good as a real one so there's no need to reference it anymore.

No one at MARVEL seems to get the idea that they are playing with other peoples' toys....they continue to break them.....I believe more than ever that soon there will be no toys to play with and no one to really care about it anyway.
********************************************************** ********************************
The short-term consequences of Spider-Man losing his eye will be learning to get used to living without them. The long-term consequences (even if his eye is repaired- which will almost certainly happen) will have him remembering how much he can lose every time he puts on the costume in a way no physical injury has managed to do..

I think the maiming of Spider-Man is a great idea. Even better would be him losing the "family jewels". Imagine the endless story possibilities:

Peter: "I'm not half the man I used to be."

Mary-Jane: "Oh Peter, I'll still love you."

Peter: "Do you really mean that, MJ? Could you still love a man who fights super-villains but can't take care of your ... needs?"

Mary-Jane: "You still have those cute organic web-shooters."

Peter: "Why yeah, I didn't think of ..."

Wolverine: "Hey Red, I'm ridin' out. You coming?"

Mary-Jane: "Be right there, Mr. Logan!"

Peter: "sigh."
********************************************************** *******************************
While the Underwhelming Spider-eunuch does have a ring to it, and it would add poignancy to every flashback in which Peter gets lucky,  it would make you look at the character too differently. Yes, I am responding too seriously to a sarcastic (and funny) comment.

Which part of his abilities doesn't rely on depth perception?

Leaping - oops, into that wall.
Swinging - oops, into that truck.
Shooting - oops, missed that flagpole entirely.

Unless he gets a bionic replacement, they grow a clone eye, it heals, or it's a dream sequence, then they've just destroyed the character.
********************************************************** ***********************
The eye will be fixed soon enough. And this may just result in him using his spider sense more, so the loss of depth perception may not be that important.

Between the Gwen/Norman affair, Gwen's kids, organic webshooters, losing an eye etc, it seems pretty evident they have no intension to write good Spider-Man stories, they only aim to shock the audience.

I will definetely pass....
********************************************************** ************************
Marvel has published some good Spider-Man stories in the last year. See Spider-Man/ Human Torch. There are many other great stories, but they're not as universally beloved.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

The sound effect is funny... "squitch".

F.

Brian Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

Spidey's detatched eye grows up to be "The Other".   His name is Squitch.  Meanwhile, Morlun continues to be a lame villain.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

But...Morlun must be a major threat, since he ate a piece of Spider-Man, and no one else has ever done that. Right?

Brian Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

I dunno.  Spidey's fought vampires before...hasn't one of them taken a chunk out of him?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2005 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

I lost interest in Spider-Man during this era and stopped buying (with the exception of the short-lived Webspinners Tales of Spider-Man). The Byrne and Romita Jr art was as great as always, but I didn't like the direction the stories were taking. The Gathering of the Five/The Final Chapter was a huge letdown after the long and tense build up the Norman Osborn plot had. I understand the reasoning for bringing aunt May back but didn't like the way she was brought back.

A lot of pre-Gathering plot threads didn't get the resolutions they deserved, which bothered me at the time.

Spider-Man was definitely in need of a fix (and is even more so nowadays), but this run didn't seem to fix things so much as just change them. To be fair though, I don't think it's even possible to properly fix Spider-Man without making him a teenager again. It's a shame that idea never took off.

QUOTE:
The only thing that jumps to my mind is... it's gotta be a clone! Aren't they doing some sort of "other"
storyline... hasn't their been Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider
refs on the covers?

Who wrote this? Who was the editor?

The storyline is a crossover that's running through all 3 Spider-Man series. JMS seems to be the mastermind behind it. The three writers of the main titles are writing, but each doing three consecutive parts rather than just sticking to their series. So the first month has been Peter David (Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man writer) writing all three titles, the second month is Reg Hudlin (Marvel Knights: Spider-Man writer) writing all three titles and the third month is JMS (Amazing Spider-Man writer) writing all three titles. Then I think there's going to be an epilogue fourth month, not sure how that will work. Then everything goes back to normal.

The second printing covers of the "The Other" storyline have all been the same image, but with Spider-Man in a different costume. So far there's been the classic costume, black costume, Bag-Man, Ben Reilly and Scarlet Spider. The theme is "alternate Spider-Man costumes", rather than anything directly clone related.

If there is a "clone", it would probably tie in to that Avengers Disassembled "tie-in" where, apparently, Peter turned into a giant spider and then gave birth to himself but with organic webshooters and the ability to communicate with bugs.

*sigh*

If only Marvel would go back to something resembling Steve Ditko and Stan Lee's Spider-Man.

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version