Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Spider-Man now with spoilers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 1  

"Apparently, the grand JMS idea for the FF..."

Please, for the love of god, tell me you're joking.

WHAT IS IT WITH JMS MAKING EVERYONE'S ORIGIN SOME BIG MASTER PLAN SPANNING THE DECADES?!  Spider-Man's origin was an accident.  The Fantastic Four's origin was an accident.  That's what they were back in the '60s and- despite some speculation (as in Claremont's first X-Men/FF mini)- that's the way they always were...'til JMS "improved" them.

JMS wrote nearly every episode of Babylon 5 and kept a close eye on the spin-off material.  He still pines for a B5 movie.  Obviously, the concept and characters are very important to him.  So how would he feel if Warner Brothers hired some guy to "reveal" that the Shadows were gay, or that Sheridan was really a Narn, or something equally ludicrious?  I loved the show, but I'm finding it increasingly hard to respect its creator when he shows zero respect for the creations of others.   

Back to Top profile | search

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 2  

What I don't understand (among things already noted here) about JMS's FF is why the Thing is making such a big deal about being rich. It;s not as if he ahd been poor up to that point. He has the same kind of money he always had, one fourth of the FF properties!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Paul Leyland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 3  

David Blot said:

"If I remember well, there was some kinda same panel in your FF run
during the Negative Zone saga, where Ben & Johnny interrupted our
happy couple doing what your imagination were allowing to think - True
there was no dialogue. (again : I hope I remember fine. I'm sure plenty of
people will contradict me if I'm wrong, but please, dont be agressive :) ) "

I won't be.  John's "sex scene" showed the happy couple post coital with Reed pulling on his boots and Sue still in bed (the Masque of Mandragora issues I think).  There was nothing there an average kid wouldn't see his parents doing (ie Mom and Dad in bed together).  He didn't show Reed's "o face" like JMS did with Norman Osborne (thanks for that image) nor did John have Sue comment on Reed's prowess.  Perhaps more importantly, John showing this was a plot point - not just a creator showing us that a married couple have sex!

Anyway, The Other has made me drop the Spider-Books and I ditched FF this week and picked up The Thing instead.  I liked B5 just fine but the more comics the guy writes the more I'm disliking his work.  His arrogance regarding his own abilities always put me off, but his belief that a character is only any good if he's allowed to do what he wants with them is appalling.

Andy

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 4  

Remember: JMS is that guy that got all bitchy that his Rising Stars comic was going to have a movie (or was it TV?) adaptation where he wouldn't be involved, so he refused to write the last few issues of the series (designed since the beginning as a FINITE series) for years! I don't even know if he has done them by now or if he is still at that. His readers paid for the sins of the publisher.

But when HE did the TV adaptation of the european comic Jeremiah (by eurocomics master Hermann Huppen, who has more talent on a fingernail than JMS in his whole body), he crapped all over the source material and never once TRIED to ask the creator of the comic series what was his opinion!

Double-standard, anyone?

So, since that man hasn't the slightest respect for the work of other people, I don't have any respect for him. Simple as that!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

I didn't care much for Waid's take on FF, so I thought maybe JMS's might work. So far it's been dull and I'm getting worried. Someone give Karl Kesel a shot at the FF, he seems to have a nice take on them.
JMS's Spider-Man is making me more worried for the future of the character now,  than when I dropped the book during the clone years.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Please, for the love of god, tell me you're joking.

WHAT IS IT WITH JMS MAKING EVERYONE'S ORIGIN SOME BIG MASTER PLAN SPANNING THE DECADES?!  Spider-Man's origin was an accident.  The Fantastic Four's origin was an accident

It is a little more complicated and unconcsiously done. I could spell out more, but they are too boring to re-read right now.

The rich Thing though seemed fun to me-it was one of the few fun things in the book.

I thought the sex thing was relatively bengn.  If you get it, you're old enough to read it and probably thought of it.  If not, it won't hurt none.

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

Sue's dialog looks like it's being spoken by Torgo from Manos: Hands of Fate.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hah! I have that MST3K episode on VHS somewhere.

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't exactly have a problem with Ben being rich, but I do have a big problem with Ben suddenly realising he's rich and changing his entirely personality because he's rich.  Either one of three things is going on here:

a) The USAF, Avengers, Unlimited Class Wrestling, Project Pegasus, the Fantastic Four, etc. pay shit, and while Ben saves every penny, he's still been poor 'til Reed recently revealed that he's been setting money aside for Ben.

b) The USAF, Avengers, Unlimited Class Wrestling, Project Pegasus, the Fantastic Four, etc. pay just fine, but Ben spends every last penny the second he gets paid and it's only due to Reed's wisdom and kindness that Ben is not broke.

c) JMS ignored the Thing's history and threw common sense out the window just so that he could tell the story he wanted to tell.

Based on his work on Spider-Man, guess which answer I choose?

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

Gregg, that is the point I was trying to make about the rich Thing. I have no problem he is rich, but that he suddenly discovered it under JMS. I don't think anyone kept money from Ben in the past or that he was stupid and didn't realize what kind of money he had.

JMS completely changed the character with this stupid plot. The worst part is that JMS probably doesn't even realize that and is quite happy with the new theme he discovered....

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Old
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

Quote: Here's a discussion challenge to those who do not have a problem with Squitch the ingested eyeball.  Is there any act of violence which would make you criticize the writer as going over a line?  In other words, when it comes to violence, do you have a line for Spider-Man?
A little tangential perhaps, but my wife and Father-in-Law both used to read James Patterson, but have recently stopped because he's gone over the line (in their opinion). There's definitely a point where you wonder if something's shown for the sake of the story, for the sake of being horrific, or because the writer's a bit twisted.
Don't want to speculate on Brad Metzler too much, but I don't think anyone needed to see Dr Light's knuckles tensing over Sue's hands. To me that's just sick, and not something for comics.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeff Palm
Byrne Robotics Member
Fake Name

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

Maybe Spider-man could get a blood transfusion from Matt Murdock and become the Amazing Spider-Devil, or from Curt Connors, thus becoming The friendly neighborhood Spider-Lizard.  I am just joking of course,  but the damage can be undone.

What I find surprising is that Marvel editorial is letting these things happen to their characters.  New readers,  that search out comics based on seeing movies and playing video games,  will not find anything recognizable in the comics.

9:30 time to watch Spider-man on Toon Disney. 

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version