Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Spider-Man now with spoilers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 1  

" Chapter One has been pretty much forgotten (it hasn't been reprinted, and its developments haven't been used in the last few years) and Doom Patrol was recently cancelled, so I'm not sure if they're the best examples."

Not very good in the eyes of fandom, but the few hundred thousand fans aren't what CO or DP were soley meant for. These are fun stories and retellings that casual readers would enjoy, but unfortunately the market is too small to reach such people.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 2  

I finally looked at the page where Spideys eye was ripped out.  That is the stupidest thing they have ever done.  Looking at it, I have to what the hell is wrong with these idiots.  
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 3  

I hasn't taken too many posts in this thread to underline exactly what I was talking about when I noted that the Shaper reboot probably wouldn't work. Notice how we are already seeing "debates" about what would be the "proper point" from which the reboot would proceed -- as if this is a literal "rewind". Already you can sense people imagining that the same stories would then be retold -- but seeing great problems because the "proper point" for Spider-Man might not be the "proper point" for the FF, which might not be the "proper point" for the X-Men, and so on and so on. (This was, I felt, a fatal flaw in UNTOLD TALES -- the literalizing of the time and place. Unlike SUPERBOY, which simply took place "when Superman was a boy", UNTOLD TALES strove to fit the stories into specific "gaps", between panels, between issues. Which meant that, immediately, it was caught in the same current as the regular monthlies, and was being pulled along at the same speed.)

The Shaper reboot looks at the whole Marvel Universe and says "when was it at its best?" Most would agree this was in the late 1960s, with Lee and Kirby on FF, Lee and Ditko/Romita on SPIDER-MAN, etc. So that would be the general condition that would be recreated, to the extent modern talent is capable. Not the actual time (it would not be 1966 again), and not the actual stories. "Mood", if you will.

But there are too many anal-retentives on both sides of the counter for this ever to come off as intended.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 4  

My favorite time was the 80s-in stories and quality.  If there was a Shaper reboot, that is the time I'd like to be recreated.  Although I am not in general in favor of said reboot.

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 28 November 2005 at 9:48am

Jeff Gillmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 5  

Here's a radical idea.  How about comic companies just make their superhero books about heroes that are heroic?  Not turning on each other.  Not going mad and killing their friends.  Not losing body parts.

Wouldn't that be a concept???

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 6  

You'll never work in this town!

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wonder what would have happened if Stan Lee had actually gone through with buying Marvel before his dot-com ran out of money?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

How would the reboot of worked exactly?   Would it have wiped out villians like the Hobgoblin, or would it of happened, but Peter was in high school instead?

Im very sorry I couldn't phrase that better.  

Joe Gravel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

Strayed into this thread a bit late, but I have to say that page of Spider-Man losing an eye was appalling. I'm not squeamish when it comes to graphic violence – when it's in a place I expect to find it, like a Tarantino film, for example. When I pick up a Spider-Man comic I expect a comic book slugfest, not the mutilation of the main character.  

Seeing a favorite character treated this way is disheartening to say the least.  

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

So what is the next issue gonna be called :

"That's Why God Gave You Two of Them Son?"

"An Aye for an Eye?" 

"Socket to me?"

"Geepers, Creepers! Where The Hell's Yer Peeper?"

" Let Eye-gones be Bygones?"

Edited by Emery Calame on 28 November 2005 at 6:15pm

Mike Romero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Let Eye-gones be Bygones" is the one that got me to laugh.

Andrew Old
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2005 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

If thine eye offends?

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version