Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Spider-Man now with spoilers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Pitch" might be too strong a word -- tho not by much, granted.

Basically, I'd observed that we could, if we wished, use the Shaper of Worlds to turn back the clock (literally) on the Spider-Man titles. Parker wakes up one morning, and he's back in high school. And all the other Marvel titles could have joined in if they wanted to.

Given the deliberate sabotage embarked upon by some "professionals" I doubt that this would really have worked, even if it had been implemented.

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

Rebooting the entire Marvel line is hardly the worst idea I've ever heard.  (It would have to go along with cancelling the Ultimate line to truly work, I figure.) The trick would be to come up with new stories that are actually new , i.e. don't just retell the old stories, while remaining true to the characters as they were intended to be.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

You mean 1/10 the sales that Spider-Man used to do for decades? 1/10 the sales the Avengers did for decades? Or the sales with which Daredevil would've been cancelled in any other decade?

********************************************************** **************************
No, I believe he's believing to sales that better than the sales of any current Batman book without the words Frank Miller and/ or Jim Lee in the credits box.

No what I was really saying is:

Some guy said -Joe Q. only hires his friends.

I said, well, if you are referencing who i think you are, they are writing the best selling books today, for Marvel and the industry, so it is an unfair criticism. No one else is doing better.

Marvel is run as a public company now. If they weren't getting the results the bean counters wanted, someone else would be in there now.  Does joe Q/. sell as many books as say Jim Shooter? No.  No one else does either. Has he kept sales steady even increasing somewhat since he came aboard? i think so-I believe publishing is up. Could someone have done even better than he did? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not the Watcher-I don't have access to all alternate timelines. 

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 27 November 2005 at 2:07pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

Marvel already attempted the REBOOT gimmick.  Remember HEROES REBORN?  If M***** attempts to do this, which I doubt, who would be willing to step on Stan Lee's phenomenal work?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well, that's really no different from JB's work on Chapter One or Doom Patrol. There were those who thought by doing so, JB was stepping on Stan Lee, Arnold Drake, or Grant Morrison. Hey, we all enjoyed CO and DP, and guess what -- the old Spider-Man and Doom Patrol stories haven't been ruined in any way. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

Heroes Reborn was a "selective" reboot -- it rebooted a few select characters,  without declaring the previous Universe to be "over." The sort of reboot I was talking about would be a total reboot -- the entire Marvel Universe would start over as if none of the characters had ever existed before.

And no, I can't imagine "M*****" doing this. There would have to be a new EiC, because I can't imagine Quesada waking up one day and going "God, we've been doing everything wrong for years!"

Edited by Jason Schulman on 27 November 2005 at 3:50pm

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

This is just another example of just how far astray Marvel has gone. You would need a scorched-earth approach to even begin to get these titles back to where they should be. However, twenty years ago, the scorched-earth approach DC took with its titles was arguably overkill -- the characters weren't so far gone that you couldn't "do a JB" and put them back where they should within a storyarc (as he did with the FF).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

Marvel already attempted the REBOOT gimmick.  Remember HEROES REBORN?  If M***** attempts to do this, which I doubt, who would be willing to step on Stan Lee's phenomenal work?

Stepping on? or is it preserving his legacy.

The idea would be to reboot the characters so that they would once more have the look and feel of  what Stan Lee had created.

Edited by Darren De Vouge on 27 November 2005 at 5:11pm

Brian Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 9  

Okay, if we're going to reboot the M***** characters with creators who are with us today, then its JB on FF, Sal Buscema on Hulk, J.R. Jr. on Spidey, Walt Simonson on Thor, Perez on Avengers, Frank Miller on Daredevil, Bob Layton on Iron Man...all written by Stan Lee (in the Mighty Marvel Manner)  'Nuff Said!

But really, do you think all it would take is for a fan of 'old school' story-telling (providing they can write and/or draw)  to say 'nuff is enuff and start to whip M****** into shape?  I think it will continue to be higher-ups saying "go for the most shocking" because that's what will bring in the younger crowd (they have the most disposable income).  Wish I had that..

People in this  forum know that they want their comics to contain well written stories and excellent artwork.  We deserve it!   And I still buy comics I dislike because I have 'em all.  What a maroon.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

It didn't occur to me before, but if someone wants to revamp Marvel, they're going to need 2 things.
1) the best creators working in the indsutry today bringing their A-Game. Anything less would be an insult, and not good enough for the scope of the project. Seriously, if you want to put Peter Parker in high school, the early stories have to be better than EVERY story which had Peter out of high school .
2) creators willing to "step on" Stan lee's phenomenal work (and the work of later creators.)
I'm not sure if there are enough great creators willing to do that.

Well, that's really no different from JB's work on Chapter One or Doom Patrol. There were those who thought by doing so, JB was stepping on Stan Lee, Arnold Drake, or Grant Morrison. Hey, we all enjoyed CO and DP, and guess what -- the old Spider-Man and Doom Patrol stories haven't been ruined in any way.
Chapter One has been pretty much forgotten (it hasn't been reprinted, and its developments haven't been used in the last few years) and Doom Patrol was recently cancelled, so I'm not sure if they're the best examples.

Okay, if we're going to reboot the M***** characters with creators who are with us today, then its JB on FF, Sal Buscema on Hulk, J.R. Jr. on Spidey, Walt Simonson on Thor, Perez on Avengers, Frank Miller on Daredevil, Bob Layton on Iron Man...all written by Stan Lee (in the Mighty Marvel Manner)  'Nuff Said!

But really, do you think all it would take is for a fan of 'old school' story-telling (providing they can write and/or draw)  to say 'nuff is enuff and start to whip M****** into shape?  I think it will continue to be higher-ups saying "go for the most shocking" because that's what will bring in the younger crowd (they have the most disposable income).  Wish I had that..

People in this  forum know that they want their comics to contain well written stories and excellent artwork.  We deserve it!   And I still buy comics I dislike because I have 'em all.  What a maroon.
I'm sure others have made the point before, but you'd have more disposable income if you stopped buying books you didn't like. Given the hundreds of books published each month, I'm sure you'll find plenty of well contained stories with excellent artwork.
Some current recommendations: Spider-Man/ Human Torch (eight-dollar "digest'). Fell (a darker cop drama. Each issue costs 2 dollars, and tells a complete story. The Ultimates (although I understand why people on the forum don't like the book.) Infinite Crisis.Whatever Alan Moore's working on.
And I do believe Stan Lee's busy enough as it is.

Stepping on? or is it preserving his legacy.

The idea would be to reboot the characters so that they would once more have the look and feel of  what Stan Lee had created.
********************************************************** *********************
Not exactly. One of John Byrne's suggestions was having Peter waking up back in High School, when he graduated high school in Amazing Spider-Man #28. Stan Lee himself wrote many great stories with the character since then, including my favorite Lee-Ditko tale "The Final Chapter."
Any such reboot would be about getting the most profitable versions of the character (and If I'm not mistaken John Romita Sr's years on the book sold better than the Ditko years.)

Edited by Thomas Mets on 27 November 2005 at 7:11pm

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

Personally, I'm just glad Marvel has stopped kicking around Spider-Man's corpse. Good-bye Spider-Man. Hello Winky, the Robo-Spider!

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2005 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

Not exactly. One of John Byrne's suggestions was having Peter waking up back in High School, when he graduated high school in Amazing Spider-Man #28. Stan Lee himself wrote many great stories with the character since then, including my favorite Lee-Ditko tale "The Final Chapter."

Again, its more to do with just reestablishing the "look and feel" of the classic SM  than trying to calculate some proper point with a sliderule or a beancounter at which to restart the universe. The object is to simplify not needlessly complicate all over again.

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version