Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Spider-Man now with spoilers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 1  

Why do you assume they don't?  Do you really think Byrnerobotics, or any message board, is representative of the audience?

If sales drop, whatever the cause, they'll reverse whatever happened.  or whatever. 

People act as if Marvel is stubbornly clinging to things that are causing it to lose readers-the readers were lost awhile ago.  However, Marvel still remains competive and usually beats DC-at least pre-Infinite Crisis.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

We're talking in the same forum, finding out that we are not the only ones bored sick of what Marvel is doing right now. That counts for something. 

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

"If sales drop, whatever the cause, they'll reverse whatever happened.  or whatever." 

Not necessarily.  The available figures show a substantial drop in sales of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN in the aftermath of the "Sins of the Past" storyline.  I believe it's something over 15 thousand readers.

Now, some have attibuted that to JRjr no longer doing the art, and there may be some truth to that.  But, JRjr left before "Sins of the Past" and the drop in sales didn't occur until after that storyline.  Which means readers stuck around and didn't like what they got, not that they were just JRjr fans.

But even though JMS' last big idea for Spider-Man resulted in a huge loss of audience, M****l decided to do a huge 12 part crossover based on another JMS big idea.

Mike

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

And just to bring up the same point I thought of with IDENTITY CRISIS, now that you've had a villain rip out Spider-Man's eye...what do you do the next time you want to "get people talking"?

After raping and murdering Sue Dibney, we found out what DC thought they had to do...blow Blue Beetle's head off in panel.

I wonder what M****l will come up with.

I also wonder if the people doing M****l comics today really think these comics won't be published 10 years from now, so what does it matter?

Mike

Jay Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

Rob Hewitt wrote:
If sales drop, whatever the cause, they'll reverse whatever happened.  or whatever.

The popularity thing doesn't quite capture it for me on this one.  I'm one of those who believe there's a right way to do it, and you can also have good sales.

I mean, if there was a highly publicized reality TV show where someone was going to gouge out an eye and eat it, wouldn't it get great ratings?

Edited by Jay Matthews on 25 November 2005 at 5:32pm

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Not necessarily.  The available figures show a substantial drop in sales of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN in the aftermath of the "Sins of the Past" storyline.  I believe it's something over 15 thousand readers.

Now, some have attibuted that to JRjr no longer doing the art, and there may be some truth to that.  But, JRjr left before "Sins of the Past" and the drop in sales didn't occur until after that storyline.  Which means readers stuck around and didn't like what they got, not that they were just JRjr fans.

Just out of curiosity, how many months after?  As I'm sure all of us here know, there's a gap between store orders and book publication.  Could the time lag account for at least some of it...the adjustment in orders for sell-through following JRJr's departure catching up with publication?

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

Why do you assume they don't?  Do you really think Byrnerobotics, or any message board, is representative of the audience?

Generally, I believe the same segment of the population that reads comics is also  one that is surfing the net and communicating on  message boards. (but not necessarily the reverse)  I see similar complaints on other boards as well.

Reversing what happened (yes, they WILL do that)  is exactly what I think is so "lame ass".  If the writers do reverse it, it becomes just another meaningless marketing exercise to sell more comics.  It just doesn't respect the audience (whether the audience realises it or not) because its just a meaningless shock tactic rather than an enjoyable story.  Too many of these and the audience will just feel cheated and look for the exit. 

Edited by Darren De Vouge on 25 November 2005 at 5:53pm

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

Generally, I believe the same segment of the population that reads comics is also the one that surfs the net and communicates on  message boards. (but not necessarily the reverse) 

Ok. I don't believe that though.  I think you generally have a minority of the comic reading public, often the same names, who are not necessarily representative of the overall audience, although more representatibve than if the audience was much larger.

Just like if you read Star Wars message boardm you'd think Star Wars was the most unpopular thing in the world.  and yet............

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

Darren,

Would you rather they keep Spider-Man missing an eye?

My feeling is, if they have a good, plausible way of reversing it, then I'm cool with it.

If JMS came up with a brilliant idea of how to reverse SINS PAST, I'd be the first person to salute him for it. (Oh, if only this would happen...)

Harve Bennett and co. killed Spock in STAR TREK II--amidst much controversy and fan outrage--and then they brought him back in STAR TREK III, in a manner that I (and most fans) felt was entertaining and acceptable. Most certainly not "lame-ass."

Edited by Glenn Greenberg on 25 November 2005 at 5:56pm

Brian Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 10  

Mig Da Silva: "So the current small sales of Amazing Spider-Man are gotten by these people 1), JMS fans 2), and completists (3, who'll buy it no matter how bad it is, even if they don't read it."

I fall in catagory 3 for Amazing Spidey and Hulk because I've been collecting these titles for YEARS and I have all the issues.  But I DO read the new issues, great or sucky as they may be, because I LIKE the characters.  Of course the creators make a world of difference.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ronald Pegram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yep, I know the name of the comic Mig.

Here's the thing though.

1st Scenario: Kids see comic. They tell mom "Look mom, it's Batman!" Mom says "Ok..." because it's Batman fighting a monster, albeit a demon. That's standard comic-book fare.

Kid reads comic. Villian has face missing. Kid wonders why. Finds out Demon (the titular hero) bit it off. Kid says "Cooooll...."

2nd Scenario: Kids see comic. They tell mom "Look mom, it's Spider-man!" Mom says "Ok..." because it's Spider-man fighting a monster, albeit one who looks like a man.

Kid reads comic. Villian eats Spider-man's eyeball. Kid says "Coooollll...."

You see some huge difference in the two but the TRUTH is your arguments would only work IF BOTD didn't have Superman and Batman chilling in the comic. Once you introduce all-ages characters to BOTD, it's an all-ages book, if for no other issue than that one.

Was this in bad taste? Of course. Is it dramatically different from what happens in comics. Nope. Comics have always had over the top violence.

Much ado over nothing. It's bad writing but it's not the comic apocalyse. Spider-Man will regain his eye if no other reason than Marvel doesn't want to refund licensing fees for people printing Spider-Man tees.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
If JMS came up with a brilliant idea of how to reverse SINS PAST, I'd be the first person to salute him for it. (Oh, if only this would happen...)

The other day I came up with a means of reverseing Sins Past without wiping it from continuity. Here it is. 

Norman hooked up Mary Jane to the old Winkler brainwashing device. Made her think that Gwen told her that she had Goblin sex with Norman.

He had the chance to do it during the Revelations story arc. If he had the nurse on his payroll, who is to say the whole staff wasnt answering to him.

The reason he did it, was to tarnish Gwen's memory.

About the twins.

Scenerio A: Norman's old buddy Miles Warren whipped them up in his lab.

Scenerio B: The twins didn't belong to Gwen at all. Norman found them during his exile in Europe and genetically modified them.

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 25 November 2005 at 6:09pm

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version