Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 1  

Thank you for saying exactly what I was trying to say in my last post, and in
a clear and informed manner, JB.
Back to Top profile | search

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 2  

But he wasn't it under Michelinie. Under Michelinie he was an adult.

Like I already said my Spiderman matured corectly under Stan Lee, Roger Stern and David Michelinie.

It was Parker/Spiderman at 3 ages of his life.

The problems came after the Departure of Michelinie when the teen temper was mixed with the adult life. Then he became a loser. Cause he stoped to be a character and became a caricature.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 3  

Stéphane, just because you enjoyed something doesn't mean it was good for
and served the character, it just means your subjective aesthetic was
appealed to. I enjoyed the Roger Stern run on Spider-Man in the '80s very
much, but I still think the character should have stayed a 16 year old. And
for that matter, I'm in the very small minority on this board who actually
enjoyed Identity Crisis, but I'll be the first to admit that the darkness of the
story was misplaced for characters created as general audience mainstream
characters, and will probably reassess my position should the result of all
this Infinite Crisis stuff end up not returning light and honor and heroism
back into DC's heroes.

Do you see the difference?

Eran Aviani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 4  

Peter Parker's "loser" status can be seen as a direct result of trying to juggle two identities.  His inability to hold a decent job is no different than his failing in his studies back in his college years or running off in the middle of a battle with the Green Goblin in order to visit his sick aunt in the hospital.  Truth is, if Peter had not become Spider-man, odds are he'd be quite successful today (in a way, that's the premise of Amazing Spider-man #50).

Fact remains that the average non-comics reader doesn't know the first thing about Peter Parker or Spidey's origins, and that is NOT what is meant to attract new, and especially young, readers.

What you're saying is that it's ok to lose the aging readers in order to attract newer, younger readers.  I say a moderate, well executed progression can provide a richer book that can still be appealing to new comers.  The real problem is that these days, the so-called "growth" is neither moderate nor well executed.  No kid would want to read a comic where Peter Parker whines and sulks about this and that for 80%-90% of it.  But give him thrilling (and not over the top) Spidey heroics and he might find the few pages depicting Peter Parker's personal life and struggles a welcome bonus.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 5  

I think that when it is well done, like the mariage of Spiderman under Michelinie it serve the character. The problem was that the following writers didn't seem to know how to write the character anymore. they didn't really addapt to the change. And all these crossovers didn't help.

Under Michelinie the mariage was interesting, the relation between pete and MJ cleverly explored. That's true too for Kraven's last hunt by De Mateis. But most of the other writers, no matter how talented they were (and I include later spiderman stuff robot-writen by DeMateis), didn't seem to know what to do with the maried Spiderman.

I enjoy Infinite Crisis: because of the last page. (near 20 years that I'm waiting for that!)

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 6  

To John Mietus:

Yes I see the difference but I don't agree. For 16 year old Spiderman we have the Lee/Dilto version. We need reprints, no imitations, no weaker version.

I'm happy that spiderman became an adult.

John Griggs Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 7  

Dude its Spider-Man, the Spidermans are the nice jewish couple that live down the street.

Günther Seydlitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 8  

I never liked the concept of change in a serial character. It
destroys the very essence of a character.
I remember reading a couple of letters exchanged between
'Dune' author Frank Herbert and his editor.
The editor did love the first book of the Dune series, but the two
sequels had disappointed him. He argued that the main
character, Paul Atreides, had become too old and thus
changed too much. The editor thought, that a human being with
superpowers could only be portrayed as a young man or a
teenager, since his powers have not completely grown and he
must be very unsure of himself.
I think there are two reasons superhero characters change:
1) It is always easier for a writer to come up with something
new, by making the character older (like Peter Parkers leaving
high school and going to college). The change appears
meaningful, but it is only a cheap trick.
2) The comic companies realized, that their audience did stick
with the books and became older. In order to keep the books
meaningful to their readers, they made them older. I'm not sure,
whether that was even a conscious decision. It probably just
happened. Once they started it, they couldn't go back.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 9  

We need reprints, no imitations, no weaker version.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Who are those "we"? Talk about yourself alone, if you please.

I'm happy that spiderman became an adult.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There, much better! "You" are happy, even though there is little significance to your statement.If you are currently 20something, that means that the medium appeals to you but probabaly loses a lot more potential new readers of a lot younger age.

The phrase that you used above is exactly the selfish attidute JB described earlier. JB (and others in the forum) are expressing the idea that the benefit of the character, and ultimately the business, is to make the package more attractive to a wider pool of younger audience, which, might I add, will never dwindle. The current fanbase (the one we belong in) is becoming smaller and smaller everyday.

Of course, Marvel and DC have found alternative ways to collect money, through films and toys. How long this income will last is everybody's guess. Mine is that it won't. Once the films "die" (the movie goers lose interest, that is), the toys won't be far behind.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Richard Siegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 10  

One of the first characters to 'age' appreciably in comics was Supergirl. She started out as an barely teen girl, got adopted, finished high school and went onto college and then went out and got a series of "real" jobs.

Kara had aged realistically over a period of 6-8 years in the Wesinger era.

And yet her character tenet basically remained the same and yet dealt with the new changes in her life in a somewhat balanced matter. Which is probably why she was the biggest casualty (along with Barry Allen) of the Crisis

Edited by Richard Siegel on 07 November 2005 at 7:27am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roger Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 11  

Okay, you need to do some homework before this discussion can continue. Both Marvel and DC have tried on more than one occasion to make forays into the areas of the marketplace effectively "owned" by Archie, and both have failed. Archie is there because they got there first, and staked out a territory that is enormously popular for them today. But it's not a territory that allows for much "new material" -- especially when those trying to make those inroads have made no real efforts to understand the marketplace.

I am aware of sporadic attempts on the part of DC and Marvel to grab the same demographic, but neither seems to be putting any real muscle behind the attempt.  If the monthly Archie Comic really were pulling in 850,000 in sales, I think there would be a much more concerted push there, instead of the half-hearted attempt every decade or so. Those are numbers that would have made most publishers weak in the knees in the Golden Age.  Those are the sort of numbers that made Marvel publish super-heroes in the 60s.  Those are the sort of numbers that made DC & Marvel put foil and chromium on everything in the 90s.

And I have been Googling this throughout the night and I simply cannot find evidence that they're pulling in those types of numbers.  

I've got two sources for the 850,000 number.  One is from Newsarama, which only a short time before were quoting vastly lower numbers in the 100,000 range.  The other is from Archie's advertising information, which, by their nature, are as deceptive as humanly possible, and possibly confused by the company's name being the same as their longest running book.  Archie Comics may be selling 850,000 issues a month, but Archie Comics is selling advertising in seven books across their line.  If you divide 850,000 by 7, you get to a figure much more in line with Newsarama's earlier report.  And if we look on Archie Comics' web site, we can find that Newsarama article which states: "Archie Comics sells nearly one million single issues every month, roughly 100,000 copies of each series."  I haven't been able to find the second Newsarama article on their site.

And there are other sources I found for the lower number, although I can't seem to find one of their publishing statements, which would definitively answer the question.   Nostalgia Zine, which has recently done an over-view of comic sales through the decades, showed the monthly Archie book being passed up in sales by its more visible Digest companion in 1980. It's monthly sales already at the 100,000 mark.  More recently, it was reported at the Comic Journal that a recent Archie Digest had a print run of about 160,000 copies, but no information on what their returns were.  Neither of these are unimpeachable sources, so there is some doubt on my part as to their validity

If anyone here can find evidence (apart from their press kit, which I trust about as much as I do Richard Nixon) that they're selling substantially higher than what DC and Marvel are doing in the Direct Market, I would love to hear it; but I simply cannot find any evidence to support that claim on-line.  If anyone has access to a recent publisher statement for the Archie monthly, I would love to know what their actual sales are.

Edited by Roger Jackson on 07 November 2005 at 7:32am

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 12  

Thanos...

I'm 34 but even as a kid (I was 9/10 years old when I began superheroes comics) I liked to see the characters mature. One of the thing that I liked in the Claremont/Byrne X-men was that they were young adult (around 24 year old I think) and not imature teens. I liked too that Peter Parker became more adult than in the Lee/Dikto issues that I was reading in reprint all along with the Marv Wolfman Amazing (I began to buy each month with Len Wein last issue -the break up with MJ, "Big Wheel" etc... even if I had read some Wein and Conway issues before from friends) the Claremont/Byrne Marvel Team-Up and ocasionaly issues of the Stern/Romita JR Spectacular Spiderman.

I always liked some maturing in comics. And that's why I wasn't attracted at all by Superman: Always the same thing, always the same stories.I was a fan of Batman because of the detective side of the character and the great villains.

Superman at the time, I liked him only in the movies with Christopher Reeves or as a member of the Justice League. Supergirl was more interesting.

And I was a fan of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl.

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version