Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: "Growth and Change" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Auto-Contrarian

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

John Mietus said: The trick should be to draw a thirteen year old girl who's hot to thirteen year olds.

And how would you define that? 

I remember being 13 years old and quite frankly, it was the older girls (15 and up) who I and my friends thought where the "hottest," because they had developed.

On the other hand, there are some girls who, at the age of 13, look 18 or older for obvious reasons.  Although we might not like it, it isn't impossible that Cassie is a 13 or 14 year old girl who looks older. 

Or it could just be that most artists aren't good enough to draw 13 year old girls, but are comfortable with making them look 16.  Take your pick.  Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to go wash myself. 

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

…drawing a "hot" 13 year old Wonder Girl would be kinda pervy, as I said.

But why should she be "hot"? The important point being missed (by fans and pros alike) is that the original Teen Titans were not created to be read by teenagers, any more than Superman was created to be read by 29 year olds. TEEN TITANS was aimed at kids younger than the characters -- just as Spider-Man and Johnny Storm, both teenagers, were nonetheless older than I was, when I started reading their adventures. And I, at roughly 11, 12, 13, was precisely the audience for which those comics were intended. That there was (and here's the word again) layering which allowed the books to be read and enjoyed by older kids (and adults) in no way changed the demographic for which they were written.

This is something we have lost. The books are hardly ever written in layers any more --- and doubly sad, when they are, the loudest internet fanboys complain, claiming to be "confused".

Eran Aviani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

With all due respect.... WHAT?!

Spider-man should be a high school student again to appeal to new, younger readers?  I honestly do not believe that (and I've thought about this for a few hours before posting).  In order to appeal to a new, younger audience, Spider-man needs to put his colorful costume on, go out and fight some super villains.

Gene Colan once said that when he went back to drawing Daredevil a few years ago it just didn't make sense to him that he would draw whole issues without a single appearance of Daredevil.  That sums it up for me.

Yes, it's great that there are seemingly real people under the costumes with real lives and real problems, but that's a bonus, a plot twist.  Nothing more.  When a kid picks up a copy of Spider-man, is he really looking to find out what happenned to Puny Parker at school today?  Of course not!  He's looking for a wise-crackin' hero in a colorful outfit, swinging from buildings and punching Doc Ock's lights out.

Superman was always portrayed as an adult.  Did that keep kids from tying blankets or towels around their necks and running around the house pretending to fly?  I think not.

For the record, when I started collecting comics as a teen, Spidey was already an adult and married.  Neither that, nor his history, turned me off from his comics.  Instead, I was fascinated and sought to slowly learn about his past.  Having done that, btw, I think his college days are actually my favorite era of Spidey stories (might also have to do with the fact I'm a sucker for Gil Kane's Spider-man).  And here's another little fact, Peter Parker graduated from high school in the 60's, way back in the Lee/Ditko days, no where near any decline in his book's sales.

A little over a year ago, someone decided to translate Ultimate Spidey to hebrew so kids here would be able to start reading the book.  I was at his store when he tried selling the first issue to some kid.  Here was a story about a kid in school having a normal kid's problems, which should supposedly should have been very appealing, right?  Well, the kid didn't want it.  Why?  Spider-man was no where to be found in it (except on the cover, of course).  But then, i better not get started on the whole Ultimate rip-off.

The real problem with the whole aging and advancement deal is that it works for some characters better than for others.  I suppose it's not as ok for Johnny Storm to age as it was (IMO) for Peter Parker to age, but then we do want Franklin Richards to be born and not be a baby forever.  Maintaining the 'suspension of disbelief' for a whole universe of characters under those terms is problematic.  But then, why overthink it?  Does it really matter how old Peter is, or if he only ages to a certain point?  Does it matter Johnny Storm didn't age as much?  I say it doesn't, and if someone says it does then maybe that someone HAS aged past the point of collecting comics.  I never wondered if a bite from a radiated spider could give one super powers, why the gamma radiation didn't kill Bruce Banner, or if a lightning bolt (with the aid of certain chemicals) would increase one's metabolism either, for that matter.  Ultimately, that's a fairly negligible plot device that enables us to write stories of hulks and speedsters.

Having said all that, I do agree that changes and 'growth', just like everything else that doesn't fall under "thrilling super-heroic tales", should be done moderately, subtly and rarely.  It is not to be done simply to improve sales or give a creator a chance to 'make his mark' on a character.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 4  

Archie is one of the few survivors and they're a mere shadow of their former glory. 

Excuse me? Last time I saw numbers, Archie Comics sold something like 850,000 units per month. Per month. And they sell thru venues like newsstands and grocery stores, when Marvel and DC have either given up or never even had a toehold.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

Does it really matter how old Peter is(?)

Yes.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

And here's another little fact, Peter Parker graduated from high school in the 60's, way back in the Lee/Ditko days, no where near any decline in his book's sales.

Yeah, and as soon as Stan figured out that Marvel wasn't going to dry up and blow away in three years, they completely halted the aging of the characters.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Still, the Industry had to change and it is now changing or trying to change (albeit on a small scale) so as to correct this problem."

And that's a big mistake. Marvel thinks that by simply making comics available in bookstores, adults who were never really interested in comics would become repeat customers. That's sort of like trying to build a second floor to a house despite skipping the foundations and the first floor --- if a second floor has been built then what's below should magically appear !
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

Mark Haslett: "So many times changes have come to brief excitement
followed by years of trouble -- Miller's "Born Again" arc on DD comes to
mind."

Interesting that you brought up that particular arc, it effectively "ended" DD
for me. After that I just felt that the story was told, and had no need to
follow his adventures anymore. Putting it down in written form like this
makes all look a bit weird, I guess.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

I remember being 13 years old and quite frankly, it was the older girls (15 and up) who I and my friends thought where the "hottest," because they had developed.

That's sort of the problem, though. I love Supergirl (Kara Zor-El) and something struck me when I was re-reading some of her classic ACTION COMICS appearances -- she was never depicted as "hot" -- more the girl next door, your approachable kid sister -- more Betty Cooper than Veronica Lodge. The current Supergirl, with her halter top costume, is a bit too obvious.

Does it really matter how old Peter is, or if he only ages to a certain point?

Yes. Peter Parker should be eternally a teenage high school student. For one thing, it's *unique* ("growth" is not about making a character less unique in my book). He was a teenager who lived with his aunt and had money problems. Now, nothing of that remains but the wise-cracking*, the money problems* (occasionally), and the powers.

You can age Peter but after a point, it reminds me of the film HOOK. Sure, that was Peter Pan, alright, and he flew and fought pirates, but boy did he look ridiculous.

*In the early comics, Peter's wisecracking was sort of a means of masking his own insecurity (a common teenage act). His doing that as an adult closing in on 30 is arguably immature. Same with the money problems. What teenager doesn't have money problems or feel that nothing goes right for him? When you're an adult with those same problems, you're not relatable, you're a loser.

Basically, Spider-Man suffers the most from "growth." Superman and Batman can have a long history behind them (though really, a 40 year old Batman, which is really what the comics are depicting now if Dick is in his mid-20s, strains credulity), but Spider-Man needs the ability to "screw up." A Spider-Man who is a "pro" or has years of experience just feels wrong.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
But why should she be "hot"?

The answer that immediately pops into my head is "it helps sell the comics," though I'm not sure if that's true (how well did Teen Titans sell in the 1960s?). My second, less serious answer is "because Nick Cardy excels at drawing attractive youth (of both sexes)." I know a female pro who had serious hots for Cardy's Robin way back when.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

The other reason Peter Parker should stay a teenager is that as a teenager,
he can have teenaged as well as adult problems and escape those problems
as Spider-Man and vice versa. Peter Parker is the loveable loser, the kid that
gets crapped on by life no matter what he does. As a teenager, that's okay
-- he's got Spider-Man to make up for it. He's also instantly relateable. As
an adult who is always a loser, he just becomes pathetic, and as an adult
who has a great life, he ceases to be Peter Parker as originally conceived.

Ed Deans.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2005 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

Since the cat is already out of the bag, how do you put it back without maintaining the tent-pole characters in two continuities: one for "mature" readers (the current audience, such as it is) and one for "all ages" or whatever the target is (12-16?) where Parker is a teen and Aunt May is hocking her a piece of her good silver to buy him a replacement Carl Zeiss lens for one broken when his camera bag fell during a battle with Green Goblin?

It appears you can't write an "all ages" book that's going to satisfy the "growing roses" and "decompressed writing" crowd as well as the 7, 10, 13 year olds you hope to reach to revive the industry.

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version