Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: "Growth and Change" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne wrote: so you think that a kid should learn that as an adult you should constantly place yourself and your loved ones in jeopardy while you shirk the real responsabilities of adulthood.

You can work in the police and be adult. Thats not really different.

I'm more talking about how adults reacts to un-wanted problems and how they deal with civil life too. I think that can interest children to see it in comics. private life was always a part of the Spider-man fun, then to explore an other side of it with mariage is interesting. And don't forget that kids are curious of how it is to be adult.

sometime maturity is more interesting to read about than naivety, even when the readers are kids. I always prefered Jean/Scott under Chris Claremont and you than under Lee/Kirby.

Of course superheroes are adventurers too and there's place for the fun in comics

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 07 November 2005 at 12:48pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

…meaningful growth does occur in a positive way in comics, it just has nothing to do with "aging". 

What far too many fans and pros alike fail to comprehend -- beyond, apparently, the most obvious fact that these characters are fictional -- is that there is, apart from flashes forward and back, only one time in superhero comics, and that is NOW. Not for nothing are these stories traditionally told in the present tense. Sure, Spider-Man can go thru the most staggering events of his life, and learn from this an important "lesson" -- but next issue, it's business as usual.

Or, at least, that used to be the case. Howard Mackie has noted -- and I fully agree -- that what went wrong was the death of Gwen Stacy. This is what pushed Spider-Man off the cliff, and pulled the rest of Marvel with him. And, of course, where goes Marvel, goes the industry.

The death of Gwen drew a line in the sand, but much, much more than most comicbook deaths. We'd seen Thomas and Martha Wayne die. We'd seen Jonathan and Martha Kent die. Heck, we'd even seen Gwen's father die. But these were not events that created a Moment In Time for the characters. For Spider-Man (and the rest of Marvel), from the moment Gwent died there was B.G.D. and A.G.D. -- and writers felt that forever they must refer to the Great Tragedy of Gwen's death. And this is not unrealistic. Something like this would, indeed, leave a long lasting scar on Peter. Problem is, these comics are not meant to be "realistic". Not in that way.

Think of it like this: how often does Liz Allen get mentioned? Betty Brant? These were women who were every bit as important in Peter's life as was Gwen --- I might argue that Betty, as an "older woman", had an even greater impact on Peter's development --- but those relationship merely wound down. There was no great tragedy that tore them out of Peter's life. If this had been how Gwen left -- if she simply moved away -- she would not be the demarcation point for the book, the character, and the whole industry. She would not have created that Moment that every anal fanboy (and writer) must revisit and measure, time and time again, so that we see how long ago it was (THIRTY YEARS, people!!!) and that, therefore, many years "must" have passed for Peter.

This is how superhero comics got destroyed, basically. They fell into the hands of people who simply did not understand the most simple conceits and structures of the form.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 3  

…so you think that a kid should learn that as an adult you should constantly place yourself and your loved ones in jeopardy while you shirk the real responsabilities of adulthood.

++++

You can work in the police and be adult. Thats not really different.

It's official! You're an idiot! And I don't waste time discussing things with idiots.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

I would just like to take a moment and point out that as far as I understand
it, M***** considers Peter Parker to presently be in his early 30s

What is the evidence of this?  I don't see it myself (not that it couldn't be true, but I see nothing that says it has to be true). 

In fact, I believe that it was stated Norman osborn was "dead" for 7 years.

Which would make Peter, what 26 at the end of the (second) Clone Saga?

Not that I think they are bound to one story that might have said that.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

There was discussion of this about three "Peter Parker should have stayed a
16-year-old"/"No he shouldn't have" threads ago. I don't remember the
original source.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

Y'know, I'd really (in my most unrealistic moments) hoped that House of M would somehow hit the Reset button on the MU in a huge way... that Spider-Man would wake up in his bed back in Queens, a teenager once again, with Mary Jane the girl next door, while the Avengers were that "not the Fantastic Four" team with a newly revived Captain America and the Hulk was a hinterlands legend that the Army was busy denying (and chasing). And, of course, that some young PhD named Xavier was just revving up a school in Westchester for a quintet of exceptional youngsters...

Ah well. One can always dream.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

Then anybody that disagree with you is an idiot?

I'll put this use of "idiot" and "stupid" on the well known Byrne temper and wont call it a "bad Byrne story". But frankly that wasn't very kind.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

I had argued before that i thought the characters should age or rather there was nothing wrong with it. I had changed my stance some what after reading some of what J.B. had said about the characters as well as thinking about how i perfered the TOS Star Trek over the films. It wasn't until i understood the reason for that was these fictional characters which i liked so much had aged and I couldn't see them hoping around the galaxy doing the same things they did when they were younger.
  That is what made me open my eyes to what J.B. was saying.That being said i do believe that there is room for growth and change with in the realm of comics. If it is handled properly. Growth and change can be handled thru proper evolution of a character.

Now I don't think all characters should change. Some should remain as they were intended to be when they were created. But if a creator has the intentions of having a character grow and change thats fine as long as that is always understood. Even with the way time is handled in comics eventually the character would have to get older and die or evolve into something else.

Characters like Spider-Man, Superman or The Batman those characters should remain as close to the original source as they can be.

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

"The death of Gwen drew a line in the sand, but much, much more than most comicbook deaths. We'd seen Thomas and Martha Wayne die. We'd seen Jonathan and Martha Kent die. Heck, we'd even seen Gwen's father die. But these were not events that created a Moment In Time for the characters. For Spider-Man (and the rest of Marvel), from the moment Gwent died there was B.G.D. and A.G.D. -- and writers felt that forever they must refer to the Great Tragedy of Gwen's death. And this is not unrealistic. Something like this would, indeed, leave a long lasting scar on Peter. Problem is, these comics are not meant to be "realistic". Not in that way.

Think of it like this: how often does Liz Allen get mentioned? Betty Brant?"

How soon did that attitude take hold in the comics, as opposed to the fans?  I started reading Spider-Man as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s and I can't recall Gwen's death being a really big deal until maybe the late 80s.  Did it take that long for the "fan-pros" to supplant the professionals in the industry?

Mike

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

that Spider-Man would wake up in his bed back in Queens, a teenager once again, with Mary Jane the girl next door,

Well, if you check out the Ultimate Universe.......

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

Rob H: Well, if you check out the Ultimate Universe...

Very true, which is why I read Ultimate U. I still wish that writers over the past few decades had managed to resist pushing the characters forward age-wise. At some point, there'll be a Marvel version of the Crisis and we'll see what comes of it...

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2005 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

If every writer wrote like Bendis, the characters could age in real-time, since he takes 22 pages to show a character walk across a room / eat a sandwich / wipe his ass.

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version