Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: What’d you get - Comics 10/26/05 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2005 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

CA has been awesome.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Siegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2005 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 2  

Mike Allred's SOLO ish (Doom Patrol vs Teen Titans! Batman A Go Go!) and The Simpsons ALL EC Treehouse of Terror with art & stories by Wein & Wrightson, Angelo Torres, John Severin et al

Yup I guess I do like funny books.

Edited by Richard Siegel on 30 October 2005 at 7:04am

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2005 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 3  

the captain america story has been building for quite some time, for about a year. i've been torn about it myself. the plot itself doesn't bother me overly much, it's not a sacred cow. what i've not cared for is 1) how long and drawn out it has been. i don't mind long story arcs if there's payoff in individual issues or smaller arcs that build up the bigger story such as robinson's starman, morrison's animal man, busiek's astro city. but, other than two interlude stories, this has been one long drawn out story with little payoff. 2) various retcons to make the story work and more believable instead of making the plot work with characters as they are. 3) not to mention people saying the changes to the characters make them more realistic while they are on the same page with a man from atlantis who flies via small wings on his ankles, a flaming android and a flaming youth and then defending the torches wearing coats in the winter time because they have been shown to be vulnerable to the cold in the comics. 4) in many ways the plot and story are cliche considering the uproar and speculation in the bat books even before brubaker started captain america and especially now, as well as the general style and theme of the book compared to what's going on at the two companies.

the difference is, it's being done very well. it's good enough to make me overlook my misgivings for now. it's intriguing and there is a cosmic cube involved, so there is so far a reset button in it. however, if i had known that the story would be this long, i'd have waited and bought the trade because as i said, the payoff isn't in the individual issues, it's in the larger story. by the same token, to read a story that goes on this long, to have it just reset everything at the end, you are then pretty much robbing it of any power. but it's the only bit of hope i can offer to someone that feels it is trampling over a sacred cow. i did skip the "house of m" crossover issue as it seemed a complete waste of time from reading just reading captain america.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2005 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks Ed and Rob for coming back on this, I still don't think I'll be picking up Captain America anytime soon (I don't read that many regular books as it is these days), at least M***** is drawing Bucky's face 'on model', enough for me to recognise it on the cover.

Dash

Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2005 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 5  

Re: MONSTERS ON THE PROWL

Duncan Fegredo is an incredibly underrated artist.  I can't think of a better choice of artist (with the possible exception of Mike Manley) for this issue.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2005 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 6  

I don;'t feel it is too drawn out. it is a long story, but there much happening each issue.  It's exciting.

I still don't think it is guaranteed it is you know who.  It has been exciting. Cap hasn't been a whiner, which is great for me.  THere' been action.  A mystery.  Some cool little interludes, and some surprises.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version