Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Official ACTION COMICS 828 thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2005 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 1  

Bill Lukash wrote:
 Joe Zhang wrote:
Here's just my speculation: the editor is asking the inker to change JB's art to look more like the styles of other pencillers.  

Joe, sorry, I totally misread this post the first time when I responded to it.  Note to self--stop taking crack before reading posts--

Hey no prob. Now that Gails confirmed this, I hope that the editors stop this nonsense. They put together a winning team and it would be a shame if they ruined it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 June 2005 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

Steve Merritt wrote:

...will there be any recaps that tell who that Black Adam guy and that Flash/look-alike were?  If not, does anyone know about these guys' backgrounds? 

Black Adam (Teth-Adam) has been a part of Captain Marvel's rogues for decades. He can most recently be found in the pages of JSA and VILLAINS UNITED.  The Flash look-alike is Zoom II. He was a profiler at the Keystone Police Dept., specifically Flash's Rogues Gallery. He can be found in recent issues of THE FLASH and VILLAINS UNITED.

Black Adam: http://www.answers.com/topic/black-adam

The Reverse-Flash (Zoom I): http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/zoom.html

Zoom II: http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/zoom2.html

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hilsmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2005 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

Reading over my first post I feel I may have been harder on Gail Simone than I intended to be, so here's my attempt to remedy that. To date I've read only 4 books written by her, but I'm intrigued by what she's doing on this book. Though I found the plotting and the pacing weak, I love the characterization and the dialogue on this book so far. Can anyone tell me if this the first appearance of Willis and Mr. Shuman? And is that a Jewish skull cap Shuman's wearing? I don't have a good fix on Perry White and how he's ordinarily portrayed -- he seems a mite more hard boiled and J. Jonah Jameson-like than I remember him --  but I love the fact that Jimmy isn't portrayed as a weasel and Lois isn't a bitch, which seems to be how they're often presented in the small number of Superman books I've read in the last 25 years. I also enjoy the cosmopolitan take on Superman we've got the last two issues. I was never a regular reader of the Superman books as a kid, so I'm enjoying this run so far. I hope Gail trains most of our attention on Superman and his supporting cast and keeps the guest appearances to a minimum the way Miller did on his Daredevil run. Restoring Superman and his cast to their roots, and maybe adding some cool new villains to his Rogue's Gallery would be more than enough to keep me reading this title. Here's looking forward to more from this creative team!

Edited by Andrew Hilsmann on 11 June 2005 at 5:48pm

Steve Merritt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2005 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks for the links, Matt.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2005 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

This is disconcerting.
How difficult is it for a professional creator or editor
to pick up a phone, or email a collaborator to give
a whiff that they want to go in a different direction,
even if just for a panel or two?  The man who drew
that final splash in 828 deserves a little more respect
than to be shut out of a discussion about his work
being changed. 

Oh, and Gail?
Could we see the full script?
That'd be a real treat to see how JB decides what
to put into each story.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Hilsmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2005 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 6  

The re-drawing aside -- of the half dozen other inkers JB has collaborated with in the past that I can think of -- Sinnott, Wiacek, Green, Ordway, Austin, Kesel, Giordano, Perez, and others -- I think this is the best JB's artwork has looked since Terry when JB's not inking himself. So I hope they can work something out. I'd be interested to see a blend of '70s Terry and '80s Bolland in terms of the cross hatching.

And wasn't the point of the experiment to make each book look as different as possible in terms of style? Subject matter, tone, pencils, inks, coloring, paper, etc. I admit to being a little disappointed that the artwork on BOTD has so little in terms of spotted blacks and noirish elements, especially for what is ostensibly a horror book (haven't seen #4 yet however).

Edited by Andrew Hilsmann on 12 June 2005 at 1:43am

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2005 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 7  

Gail Simone wrote:
I admit some of this whizzes right by me, so I'm semi-ignorant, but I think the end result is that the book looks fabulous. Definitely one of the best-looking books out there right now.  And that's all because of John, Nelson and Guy.

I agree with you, and I hope to see this creative team as long as possible. Great comics characters deserves great authors, and the current ACTION COMICS is a proof of this. Thank you, John and Nelson for the good work. It's great readin' Superman.

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2005 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 8  

DC is not thinking or assigning a new inker are they?

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2005 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 9  

The whole thing made me have a look at every single page of Action comics 827. I actually didn't notice ( every inker will have his own way of interpretation ). But this is beyond interpretations. Even some subtle changes can make a lot of difference like the asian guy in the car sequence or Superman and Lois in the bedroom. It changes some intentions of the artist. ( M. Byrne, you should be pXXXXed off! ).

I think it is OK to say that you are part of a chain of production, but the person after you should be there to enhance your work, not to hide it or destroy it.

Most of the changes made didn't bring a more interesting point of view.

As a graphic artist working for a big Hong Kong based company ( VTech Electronic toys ), I know what kind of problems designers have to face when being part of a chain. Here in HK, eventho we do products mainly for US market, because of cultural difference ( and I mean it! ), results can be... desastrous or just OK. But in your case, I think it is more about an inker's ego.

Nuf said!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Deans.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2005 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 10  

Finally read ACTION 828. Satisfying and far better inking than the prior
issue. There was more BYRNE visible in the final product and I suspect
many more of the faces were left alone. Not excellence yet but there's
clearly major movement to finding the right artistic niche for the book.

I love the two-page spread. The car-to-armor scene was nice and
distinct from Jefferies' bot in Alpha Flight. Suddenly I'm thinking he called
it Rog! But I digress.

A couple nits for Gail:
1. It would have been nice if the Spanish had been translated for the
English-only readers.
2. A clue to Black Adam for those who have no idea would've been
welcome. Hopefully he'll be back and it'll become self explanatory.

I like the scripting style; it's a bit different "voice" than I'm used to.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version