Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: "Spider-Man 2" on Cable (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

Fine with me. As a result, you'll have to forgive me if I don't take much interest in your opinions about movies.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

'If it's popular it must be good is nearly (but not quite) as stupid as 'if it's popular it must be bad'

I still love this movie...after years of super-hero movies seen when I was growing up wherein the powers of the characters were played down because the cost of showing them was prohibitive, and where the fil makers didn't seem to have even read a comic book, it was refreshing, exhilarating and stranely moving to see Spider-man more or less as I had always dreamed he would be on the screen...my only caveat was that the movie came thirty years too late...the eleven year old me would have thought he had died and gone to heaven if he had been able to watch the two Spider-man movies

Back to Top profile | search

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

John Byrne wrote:
I thought Ock's Wife was hot.

So did Jean-Luc Picard. . .

What does the Captain have to do with Doc Ock's wife?

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

Brendan Howard wrote:

Fine with me. As a result, you'll have to forgive me if I don't take much interest in your opinions about movies.

This bothers me not at all.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

John Leach wrote:
 Brendan Howard wrote:

This bothers me not at all.

Don't hold back fellas.

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

Hey, we're nothing if not dignified.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wilson Mui wrote:

John Byrne wrote:
I thought Ock's Wife was hot.

So did Jean-Luc Picard. . .

What does the Captain have to do with Doc Ock's wife?

The same actress, Donna Murphy, captivated both Otto Octavius in Spider-Man 2, Captain Picard in Star Trek: Insurrection, and a few readers here, myself included.  I STILL think she looks like an older Maya Rudolph, tho.

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ian Evans wrote:

'If it's popular it must be good is nearly (but not quite) as stupid as 'if it's popular it must be bad'

I'd agree with this.  I've known plenty of people over the years who automatically dislike something just because it's popular, which bugs the crap out of me.  My sensibilities usually lead me away from popular opinion, but I'd much rather reach that conclusion after observation, not from some knee-jerk reaction.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Kevin Hagerman wrote:
...I STILL think she looks like an older Maya Rudolph, tho.

I just found out that Maya Rudolph's mother was Minnie Riperton, best known for her 1975 #1 pop hit "Lovin' You". Reportedly, at the end of the song, Riperton can be heard singing "Maya Maya, Maya Maya, ..."

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

John Leach wrote:
 Ian Evans wrote:

I'd agree with this.  I've known plenty of people over the years who automatically dislike something just because it's popular, which bugs the crap out of me.  My sensibilities usually lead me away from popular opinion, but I'd much rather reach that conclusion after observation, not from some knee-jerk reaction.

Seconded! (Or is that thirded?) Reflexive nonconformists aren't doing themselves any favors. I'm almost always willing to watch a film that has been overwhelmingly popular so I can have an opinion about it. Sometimes I am impressed (never saw GOODFELLAS until last year, and wow!) and sometimes I am puzzled (opposite reaction for SCENT OF A WOMAN).

It's always a joy to be surprised by a work that looks formulaic or lowest-common-denominator. That's how I felt when I saw AMERICAN PIE, MINORITY REPORT, THE MUMMY, FREAKY FRIDAY, UPTOWN GIRLS, and CHANGING LANES. While none of them are classics, I thought each one was a worthy effort that was much better than they had any right to be.

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

Matt Hawes wrote:
I just found out that Maya Rudolph's mother was Minnie Riperton, best known for her 1975 #1 pop hit "Lovin' You". Reportedly, at the end of the song, Riperton can be heard singing "Maya Maya, Maya Maya, ..."

Maya was also part of Matt Sharp's staggeringly underrated band the Rentals.

Andrew Hilsmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

Vincent Valenti wrote:
Huh? Since when does Spider-Man's powers give him the ability to survive a fall of 20 stories then land on a hard surface like a car roof? Like Aunt May said in the first movie, "you're not Superman, you know"
I rembember plenty of cliffhangers where he's falling from a great height
and either had no web fluid or nothing to swing to safety with. That wouldn't
be very suspenseful if the reader knew he could just hit the ground and walk
away with merely a bad back.

Lee & Ditko's The Amazing Spider-Man #7, pages 7-8. Read it and weep. Maybe saving John Jameson's space capsule would have made for a more convincing film. I enjoyed the movie, and most of the problems I had with it were the result of all the bad decisions of the first one, with the exception of the dumb unmasking scene. On again, off again powers are a staple of Marvel comics dating back to the 60s. Frank Miller used it during his run on Daredevil. Did it make for a bad story there? 

Edited by Andrew Hilsmann on 07 June 2005 at 6:01pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version