Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: "Spider-Man 2" on Cable (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 1  

I thought Ock's Wife was hot.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 2  

Joe Smith wrote:

I kept thinking she was Maya Rudolph from the future, and wondering why Maya Rudolph from the future would come back in time to be a plot device in Spider-Man 2.  :)

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 3  

So did Jean-Luc Picard. . .
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 4  

I immediately understood when watching the movie that his problems were psychosomatic, leaving certain involuntary stuff intact, like surviving a dangerous fall. I'm not even sure that "problem", which was more like a plot element, would warrant so much as a No-Prize.

++++

Huh? Since when does Spider-Man's powers give him the ability to survive a fall of 20 stories then land on a hard surface like a car roof? Like Aunt May said in the first movie, "you're not Superman, you know" I rembember plenty of cliffhangers where he's falling from a great height and either had no web fluid or nothing to swing to safety with. That wouldn't be very suspenseful if the reader knew he could just hit the ground and walk away with merely a bad back.

Precisely! Spider-Man is tough, but he is not invulnerable. (And, neither, by the way, is his costume, or Peter Parker's street clothes.) Yet thruout this movie he is constantly subjected to the kind of punishment that would kill a normal man, and leave Spider-Man black and blue and likely seriously broken! I mean, come on! Slammed into brick walls with such force that the bricks crack and crumble? "Not Superman" indeed -- but therein lies the problem. Sam Raimi isn't making a Spider-Man movie. He's making a generic superhero movie, and throwing in as many "cool bits" as he can -- swiping the Barry Allen's super speed stunt from the first FLASH story, giving Parker Superman's classic shirt-rip, playing the whole subway scene as if it's Superman up there on the screen.

Nope -- I'm afraid this cannot truly be said to be a movie that was made by someone who really has respect for the source material.

Eugene Nylander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 5  

John Byrne wrote:

So did Jean-Luc Picard. . .

Well - he is still in the Nexus.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 6  

Brendan Howard wrote:
 John Leach wrote:

I had hoped that, like X-Men 2, I'd enjoy the sequel after despising the first, but Spider-Man 2 sucked eggs.  Crappy story, crappy effects, no logic, bad acting and writing, ugh.  Couldn't even watch it on cable the other night.

When I read a complete dismissal like this, I feel the need to ask what movies you really, really, really liked. Your attitude is so far from the general consensus of mass audiences and critics that I wonder what your barometer might be.

Honestly, as a film lover, I don't like this movie. As a comic-book lover, I *hate* this movie -- for all the reasons the previous poster mentioned. I'd rather watch BATMAN RETURNS (which while a mess, at least looks somewhat interesting in a Tim Burton fashion).

Again, as a guy who likes movies, I've never been tempted to watch either Spider-Man film again. As a comic-book fan, I'm just disappointed by the tremendous waste of the source material.

John Griggs Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 7  

I read an article in the paper that Spider-Man 2 was a movie about homosexuality.  Essentially, that's its time to come out (unmask) to society and society will accept it.

The article reminded me of the whole Batman is gay thing.

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 8  

Geez, is every superhero movie code for Gays?

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 9  

Of course not!

I think there are people (many reviewers, IMO) with a dirty mind and many skeletons in their closets, who should be lead out of the closet and stopped chasing their own ghosts by projecting their own fears and desires on the comics characters!

I'm gay and I still can't see the connection... What have the other gay and bi posters have to say about this?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 10  

Zaki Hasan wrote:

Charles Valderrama wrote:
This film made fun of the genre more
than it praised it.

How do you figure?

As JB has noted, Raimi made a generic superhero movie and it
got too cute for me at times. The first film, while not perfect,
captured the essence of Spider-Man better that this sequel did.
The whole ripping off the mask throughout the movie killed the
spirit of how important secret identities are to the superhero
lore. That to me is hardly praise.

-C!

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 11  

Stephen Robinson wrote:
 Brendan Howard wrote:
 John Leach wrote:

I had hoped that, like X-Men 2, I'd enjoy the sequel after despising the first, but Spider-Man 2 sucked eggs.  Crappy story, crappy effects, no logic, bad acting and writing, ugh.  Couldn't even watch it on cable the other night.

When I read a complete dismissal like this, I feel the need to ask what movies you really, really, really liked. Your attitude is so far from the general consensus of mass audiences and critics that I wonder what your barometer might be.

Honestly, as a film lover, I don't like this movie. As a comic-book lover, I *hate* this movie -- for all the reasons the previous poster mentioned. I'd rather watch BATMAN RETURNS (which while a mess, at least looks somewhat interesting in a Tim Burton fashion).

Again, as a guy who likes movies, I've never been tempted to watch either Spider-Man film again. As a comic-book fan, I'm just disappointed by the tremendous waste of the source material.

All opinions that I respect! I'm still interested in hearing John Leach's answers on this too...

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2005 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

Brendan Howard wrote:
 Stephen Robinson wrote:
 Brendan Howard wrote:
 John Leach wrote:

All opinions that I respect! I'm still interested in hearing John Leach's answers on this too...

My father is one of those "If it's popular, it must be good" people.  I'm not.  I went into SM2 with lots of hope, but I thought it was a boring, stupid movie. 

Just because the 'general consensus' holds that it was a great movie doesn't mean I have to agree with it.  My likes and dislikes are my own, and providing you with a list of movies I think are great doesn't hold any interest for me.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version