Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: "Spider-Man 2" on Cable (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

Brendan Howard wrote:
 Dave Farabee wrote:

Brendan Howard wrote:
In any case, Lee and Ditko had the advantage of Peter's thought balloons and talking to himself, which are unworkable or laughable on film.

Wouldn't the longstanding tradition of first-person narratives from silver screen gumshoes test this notion? First-person narration is generally used more sparingly than comic thought balloons of old, but the principle's pretty much the same, and seen as recently as SIN CITY. Comes across a little larger-than-life, but wouldn't that be about perfect for the tone of a Spider-Man movie?

Voice-over narrative during a life-or-death action sequence? You really think that would work?

It's all in the execution. Voice-over during a life-or-death sequence would be tricky, but the presumption that it's impossible is the same thinking that has Hollywood excising superhero costumes and dulling down powers.

As a 'fer example'...

Consider first that a voice-over would hardly seem so out of place if the film employed it frequently and from the first frame of film. The first SPIDER-MAN movie actually did open with such a voice-over - it just didn't run with the ball. And as for the actual action scenes during which they might be emplyed, I'd still say go sparingly, but as a trick to make it work, I'd suggest the actor deliver his lines with a certain breathless immediacy. Alternately, or in conjunction with that, you could actually cut to slo-mo to heighten the moment and allow for the slight surreality of a voice-over ("It was do or die time. I put everything I had in that last punch and prayed...").

Again, tricky, but not impossible. I hate to use a cheap buzz phrase, but I'd like to see a lot more "thinking outside the box" to find solutions to superhero film translations.

Oh, and incidentally, I don't disagree with you that there's some wiggle room for scenes like the unmasking scene. I didn't care for it m'self, but it didn't kill the scene for me. I just think there were better ways to stage it.

-Dave

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

"It was do or die time. I put everything I had in that last punch and prayed..."

Well, unless this is a remake of "Sunset Boulevard", I guess I don't have to see that scene to know Our Hero survived.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

John Byrne wrote:
"It was do or die time. I put everything I had in that last punch and prayed..."

Well, unless this is a remake of "Sunset Boulevard", I guess I don't have to see that scene to know Our Hero survived.

A reference somewhat lost on me, never having seen SUNSET BLVD., but I gather that point is that my hypothetical's a suspenseless suspense line because we know Spider-Man's gonna survive? Or am I misreading?

In any case, it's just a throwaway example, but I'd say a strong voiceover could sell the immediacy of such a moment, maybe with some slo-mo drawing out the drama.

-Dave

Pablo Chiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

Come on, Spider-man 2 had it all. A sense of humor, a sense of danger, and a great story. Reread those old Stan Lee/ Steve Ditko comics or the old Bashki cartoons, J Jonah Jameson was a clown. One complaint would be that everyone in New York knew Spider-man's secret identity by the end, but that didn't stop this from being the greatest live -action comic book movie yet with it's only possible competition being Sin City, the X-men flicks, the Tim Burton Batman flicks, and Mystery Men.

Anyone else see Mystery Men and love it as much as I did?  

Back to Top profile | search

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

SPOILERS for SUNSET BOULEVARD

Highlight to read:

The narrator/main character it turns out has actually been telling the story dead, doing a dead man's float in the swimming pool. He is killed near the end of the story, but as the narrator, he has been dead the whole time. We just didn't know it.

Check out the movie it is pretty good.

Edited to inviso-text the spoiler~Matt

Edited by Matt Reed on 06 June 2005 at 1:27pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

Pretty good?!?  It's a classic in every sense of the word and one of the best films ever made!  For shame, Big Tex, that you haven't seen it.  Go forth and rent it NOW!

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Rob Hewitt wrote:

SPOILERS for SUNSET BOULEVARD

Highlight to read:

The narrator/main character it turns out has actually been telling the story dead, doing a dead man's float in the swimming pool. He is killed near the end of the story, but as the narrator, he has been dead the whole time. We just didn't know it.

Check out the movie it is pretty good.

Edited to inviso-text the spoiler~Matt

Thanks. I was reading up on it at IMDB and it definitely sounds like one to see.

-Dave

Edited by Matt Reed on 06 June 2005 at 1:28pm

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 8  

I had hoped that, like X-Men 2, I'd enjoy the sequel after despising the first, but Spider-Man 2 sucked eggs.  Crappy story, crappy effects, no logic, bad acting and writing, ugh.  Couldn't even watch it on cable the other night.

There was one part that stuck with me though.  When Spider-Man is in the elevator with Hal Sparks, I thought, "man, that costume looks cool.  He really does look like Spider-Man."  Then the moment was over, and I was back to wanting to tear my hair out.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Leach wrote:

I had hoped that, like X-Men 2, I'd enjoy the sequel after despising the first, but Spider-Man 2 sucked eggs.  Crappy story, crappy effects, no logic, bad acting and writing, ugh.  Couldn't even watch it on cable the other night.

There was one part that stuck with me though.  When Spider-Man is in the elevator with Hal Sparks, I thought, "man, that costume looks cool.  He really does look like Spider-Man."  Then the moment was over, and I was back to wanting to tear my hair out.

Until Peter Parker got stuck in that broom closet for a far-too-stretched-out sight gag, I thought the pizza delivery opening was terrific. Really funny, really energetic, and probably my favorite bit in the entire movie.

-Dave

Richard Fisher
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

I agree on what has been stated here about bad point in this movie but would also like to add another dislike. The fact that it is the villian and not the hero who saves the city from exploding. Granted that the villian put the city in danger in the first place and the hero had to convince him to do  it. But I wanted to see the hero be a ...well, hero.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yeah that pissed me off the most - the villain saved the day. You don't even need to be a comic book fan to see how stupid that is!

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

If Spider-Man's eye piece was destroyed, how come it worked when the kids gave it back to him? The movie was fun but had major problems, most of which JB and Matt have already pointed out.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version