Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10
Topic: "Spider-Man 2" on Cable (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ian Evans wrote:
We do indeed but there is no commonly agreed ground about what constitutes verisimilitude, which part of our disbelief we are willing to suspend, etc. 

It depends on you. 

The implication that there is something wrong with someone whose personal line is different to ones own, that does crop up here from time to time, is what leads to the disagreements.  Many of those disagreements make for interesting and stimulating debate, but there is no 'right or wrong' on either side here and we would do well to remember that from time to time.  FWIW I think that the 'there are some things that I am willing to suspend disbelief on but others on which I am not' is a precarious position from which to present any persuasive point

Yes, Ian. I agree. That's why I'm careful to restrict my comments to my opinions. I wasn't getting on Andrew for how he feels. I'm just explaining my beef with the movie, and discussing the logic (or lack thereof) behind some of their artistic decisions. There are inconsistencies in some of those decisions that I find illogical.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kelly Sheppard
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

Andrew Hilsmann wrote:
All this could very easily be compared to
sexual impotence, which has psychological causes as often as physical ones.

That is what I thought when seeing Spider-Man 2, in fact leaned over to a
friend and pointed out Spider-Man was impotent. After the movie another
friend asked why Spider-Man lost his powers and explained the fact Peter
was depressed & used the analogy with sexual impotence. He got it then.
Part of the problem I think people have with this concept stems from an
incomplete understanding of mental illness and that there is not a mind
body connection but rather the mind is part of the body.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hilsmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

No offense intended on my part either, John, and none taken. Again, as I said above, most of the problems I had were there from the start with Spider-Man 1. It sure would have been great to see a boxing match between Peter and Flash (my favorite story of the first ten issues or so) but they didn't do it in the first film. It will be interesting to see how these films age as well. I've never been big on origin stories -- I nearly always find them boring and long drawn out-- and the whole Teenage-Superheroes-Learning-To-Use-Their-Powers angle feels pretty stale to me, so I was among those who preferred Superman II to the first film, largely because they don't have to spend so much time on the expository stuff and focused instead on the battle scenes. The flaws and inconsistencies of Superman II are certainly obvious to me -- were fairly obvious to me even as a kid -- but it will be interesting for me to watch the Superman films again for the first time in maybe fifteen years. I don't own the first Spider-Man film (didn't like the script especially) but the second one, for me, seems to hold up fairly well on repeat viewings. That could also have something to do with being resigned to decisions that irritated me in the first movie, too.

Edited by Andrew Hilsmann on 08 June 2005 at 12:44pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Donges
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

Andrew Hilsmann wrote:
That could also have something to do with being resigned to decisions that irritated me in the first movie, too.

heh, heh. isn't resignation wonderful?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

Matt Reed wrote:
...John's point stands.
Matt, not to pick, but when someone says "most people" or "everyone" or talk about some automatic majority, they usually are only talking about their own limited frame of reference and points don't usually stand.  Can a reasonable person expect that someone has really gone and read every newspaper review on a film in the late 70s?  Can a reasonable person expect that someone has driven to a majority of the people in the country and conversed on what was better?

People all too casually throw out these "assumed majorities" without anything to back them up.  Now, I do honeslty believe that John would remember more conversations with people who believed that II was better than the original because we are more likely to remember conversations when people disagree with us than we we agree.   Consider the following example...

Man One - Hey, I thought the first Superman was better than the second.

Man Two - Hey, me too.

Man One - Yeah.

Man Two - Yeah.

Man One - So...

Again, sorry to be picky, but when people throw out terms like that, it just bugs me.

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

...but when someone says "most people" or "everyone" or talk about some automatic majority, they usually are only talking about their own limited frame of reference and points don't usually stand.

They most certainly don't, if you are actually approaching them from the view that "most people" and "everyone" are interchangeable terms!

However, over here in English, they mean something different from each other. "Everyone" means, yes, everyone -- all people involved, concerned, questioned, considered. "Most people" on the other hand means a larger percentage than holds the opposing view. In a group of 100 people, this could mean as few as 51.

In any case, Matt is right. I was referring to the time of release, when dangerously close to "everyone" praised "Superman II" as a superior film. Even Leonard Maltin (whose review was not published at the time of release) points out the flaws in the film, and then gives it a higher rating (***1/2 versus ***) than the original.

++++

…when people throw out terms like that, it just bugs me.

Bugs me too. That's why I don't do it.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Spiderman 2 has the best action sequence I have ever scene.  The train sequence is unbelievable.  I watched it in slow motion on DVD and it looks realistic even when slowed down.  It actually looks like how Spiderman would really move.  I have to suspend my disbelief about how Spidey stops the train because I don't think he is that strong.  There are problems with the movie.  I don't know why they needed to alter Spider-History since the actual history would be better than the changes made.  It seems to be vanity on the part of the movie creator to make these changes as there was really no need to do it. 

Still the movie is fantastic, with all it's problems it is still a great, fun exciting movie.

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

"dangerously close"

I do seem to remember how much people really like Superman II.  I was surprised at how many people talked about Superman II compared to Superman, although I don't remember (first hand) much about how people reacted to the first one.

I didn't know "civilians" could actually see a movie based upon a comic and think that was one better because it was not like a comic book and the other was not so good because it was too much like the comic book, especially since so few people, relatively speaking, read superhero comics.  I guess they could have preconceived notions about what a superhero comic book is or contains.

Still, who gives a flip if "civilians" prefer one style over another, other than the filmmakers and studios?  What it comes down to is that the studios are making movies, and they are not going to make a movie the same way way Marvel or DC make comics.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 10
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version