Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Generations III Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137191
Posted: 19 August 2026 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Looking at the pages before and after, and darned if I can tell the difference.

•••

Fun fact: the drawing was done entirely with a mouse!

Back to Top profile | search
 
Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 12 April 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 13382
Posted: 19 August 2026 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Get out...! That's some impressive mouse-control, man.
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137191
Posted: 19 August 2026 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have tried other approaches, but I find the greatest stability in the mouse.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Jack Caleb Day
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 07 June 2025
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 26
Posted: 21 August 2026 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

 JB, if I'm correct you said that Batman/Captain America is set within this universe aswell. If this was the case; what do you think Captain America was doing during the events of Generations? Did you have an off-panel situations that he would be in? Or was them being listed as being in the same universe in the 2005 Crisis On Infinite Earths Compendium a later decision you had no involvement in?
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137191
Posted: 21 August 2026 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

sigh
Back to Top profile | search
 
Jack Caleb Day
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 07 June 2025
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 26
Posted: 21 August 2026 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm taking that as a 'No I did not intend that' but correct me if I'm mistaken.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 July 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 32280
Posted: 21 August 2026 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

From the Forum Decorun, Jack:

• Do Not pose "multiple choice" questions, as "Did you do such and such
because of blah, or because of blah blah?" A simple "Why did you do such
and such" will suffice!

Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8707
Posted: 21 August 2026 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I wonder how you would have fared with an Apple Pencil on an iPad.
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137191
Posted: 21 August 2026 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Never had much luck with pads and the like.
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137191
Posted: 03 October 2026 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Finished rereading G3 this morning. Something occurs to me about why I like the art so much.

Step to the side for a moment. Decades ago I illustrated a shot Sunspot story as a favor to an editor at Marvel. Not a character I knew or much cared about, yet to this day I consider that one of my best jobs. Cogitating over the years since, I realized the superior (for me) quality of the art might be precisely because I wasn’t emotionally connected to the story. All my creative efforts were in the art.

Think of it as if I have a sack of creativity in my head, and if I use less on some part of a job, then there’s more to use elsewhere.

It’s much the same with G3. The story came out fine, but it was a story editorial asked me to do, not what I had originally intended. So a greater portion of my creative consciousness went into the art.

Back to Top profile | search
 
Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 July 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 32280
Posted: 03 October 2026 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Love that Sunspot story. Certainly came out of left field at the time. Like,
“why’s JB doing a Sunspot story?” I can only think of one time before that
you may have drawn him, that SECRET WARS II 1 cover Terry inked.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 19 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 6962
Posted: 03 October 2026 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Detached involvement." A desired state of mind in Zen.
Back to Top profile | search
 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login