Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Comic Book Autograph Hunters Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I bought a Crazy magazine once because I wanted the cover, a crazy version of X-Men by our host. Inside in the middle of a reprint story they had crazied up by changing the word balloons to make it funny, was a Kirby sig. I assume it was a con signature, plopped in front of Jack at a show sometime in the early 80s. I can’t figure what else happened based on the odd placement, but who knows. Maybe Roz signed it somehow for whatever reason.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Since I don't usually get stuff signed any more, I hadn't thought of this, but I recently found out it is more polite to get a personalized autograph than just a signature. I would have thought it asking more of the signer, but it is considered better because it shows you really care about the signer and aren't just looking to resell their signature for profit!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, I know people who won’t give an autograph unless it’s personalized.

Wish I’d thought of that.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 1:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Some people only do personalized, some always charge. Both good ways to avoid people who are only out to resell. (Though some do it because of greed. Won't name any names, but one is banned from a sport.) 

Marlon Brando apparently made people answer trivia questions before signing, and if you failed you were out of luck.

Steve Martin gives (or gave; not sure if he still does it) out a card saying you met him and it was a pleasant experience. Or something like that.

I'd probably do one of those if I was famous.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

For some reason, I always felt like it would be an imposition to ask for it to
be personalized. There were other people in line, after all, and it would’ve
taken more time to add it.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That was quick thinking to tell that kid his Stan Lee might not be 'authentic' because otherwise they might've continued to love comics and think all the people who made them were okay folks, and then where would things be now?

(sarcastic mode off)

I'd hire someone to go out and be me. I'd rather have been an anonymous Dell/Gold Key mostly big foot character and funny animal comics writer-artist. Now that things aren't even newsprint I'd probably be too intimidated to touch pen or brush to paper at all really. It's like you want to write catchy three minute pop songs and people are mostly requiring a sidelong King Crimson opus, or you want to write a snappy idea centered science fiction short for a monthly magazine and people only want three volumes of something with a detailed fictional map in the front that will stay in print for decades.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My favorite multiple signature book is my copy of The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told, the first comic book hardcover book I ever owned, signed by Steve Englehart, Neal Adams, and Jerry Robinson--who drew a sketch for me the last time that I saw him. 

I've got a copy of The Great Comic Book Superheroes that I picked up at a local used bookstore, already signed by Sheldon Moldoff, Martin Nodell, and Will Eisner, and got Jules Feiffer to sign by copy when he made a rare trip to California about 20 years ago. I'm really fortunate to have met a lot of real Legends over the years. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Andrew, The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told is a great book. And if I was collecting autographs from people who worked on Joker stories, that's exactly the book I'd get signed. I actually bought mine at a convention, but no one who worked on Joker stories was in attendence. :(

Rebecca, I've written a few short stories (and have a few ideas for more and a novel), and if I ever had them published, I'd use a pen name so I could keep my privacy. I get told I need to do a book tour? Fine. I'd either wear a disguise or hire someone to pretend to be me.....and be on hand just to watch.

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There are creators at conventions who'll sign for free if it's for you, but charge a fee if it's for obvious resale ( window bagged and bordered with a CGC witness in tow ) and I think that's a great idea.

I know a few people who are CGC signature series resellers / flippers who HATE this practice because they feel like they're being "punished" somehow. I find it amusing that they're trying to make money off someones signature, yet they have an issue with the creator making money for themselves.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Reminds me of the art dealers who squawk any time someone suggests the original artists should receive a share of the profits from subsequent resales.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2024 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I grumbled when creators first started charging for autographs on items not purchased directly from them, but you've got a lot of writers and artists paying their own way to attend conventions, taking time off from paying work and spending time with friends and family to be there, and working in a profession with no retirement plan or benefits. 

Paying a nominal fee for an autograph is both a way of crowdfunding that creator's attendance at a show--I can't drop $1,000 for _______'s plane ticket and hotel room, but a hundred of us can certainly kick in $10 for that--and it's also a small way of thanking someone for all the enjoyment I've gotten out of a comic book I bought off the rack for less than a buck almost 40 years ago.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2024 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Trying to remember who's charged and who hasn't among the autographs I've gotten. 
I know JB didn't charge, but limited to 10 items per person, which seemed really fair. 
Sal Buscema didn't charge, but that was a three-item limit. 
I don't believe Herb Trimpe charged, either. I did also buy a print from him, though. 
I don't remember Walt Simonson charging. I had him sign four books. Can't recall if that was a limit or anything. 
I think with Neal Adams, he would charge to sign if you brought him something, but include a signature if you bought something from his table. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version