Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Comic Book Autograph Hunters Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I collected a few in the late 80s but nothing since.I got a few good sketches to go along with those.

•••

Haven’t see it expressed that way before. Hard to think of the art as subordinate to the signature.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I’m thinking back to when I started using my rubber stamp autograph.

Multiple times, when I was signing, people had quipped that I should have a “reprint signature” for the increasing number of reprint books. I thought about that, and realized the answer was a rubber stamp.

Of course, there would have to be rules. The stamp would be used only on reprints. Imagine the chaos that would be unleashed if I even once used it on a non-reprint. The potential for forgery was mind boggling. (And there were times when people actually asked for the stamp on non-reprints. I declined, courteously.)

I also made a habit of bringing along non-reprint copies from my comps bundles, for those who’d brought only reprints for me to sign. (Of course there were downsides to this. No good deed goes unpunished. There would invariably appear people asking for the “free comics” I was giving away, and those who complained they already had the comics I was handing out.)

I was pleased to note, tho, that most people accepted the stamp in the spirit in which it was intended. Only once did I see someone complaining that he “wasn’t going to stand in line for an hour” only to get a rubber stamp. Point missed, obviously!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I had a '60s Charlton comic signed by Dick Giordano I've kicked myself for years for somehow having parted with. Because he did the cover art (Green Planet) the cover is signed, but I usually liked something signed on the first interior page, or else the first page by the artist if further in. I see how later the cover became the one and only place most people want something signed, and also how much of a negative the whole autograph trip can become (as in all about increasing the value, thus long lines for getting them). I still don't like to see covers 'defaced'... but Mr. Giordano's was very discreet in a totally blank area, none of this metallic ink really large (somehow I have an early Bone #1 like that and it still seems like it ought to be worth less for it).

Anyway, the Giordano one was most memorable as I got to talk with him about Charlton and Classics Illustrated for awhile, some of the info went straight through me to be honest but he enjoyed talking about stuff a lot of other fans seemed to have no interest at all in. On another meeting people were asking him for sketches and he didn't have any materials so I loaned him my pens plus paper... but at the end of the day I never got a sketch for myself. Still, I had pens used by one of the great comic book inkers. Like Mr. Toth and Mr. Byrne he could do a lot with the most humble seeming tools, and it was a pleasure as well as an education just watching him create stuff. If I had've asked for something it'd have been the same thing someone else did get from him, a Batgirl. I was pretty darn repressed in terms of imagination the few times someone drew something 'for me', often saying gee, I don't know. I'm lucky I have a nice Sheena from Trina as I was usually very inhibited around artists whose work I admired at all. Steve L. spoke to me a couple times but I never got to say how much I loved his work, nor present something to be signed and I had so many of his comics.

It's just a nice bonus when/if it "happens", or crosses my path... I don't want to get too mental about the whole thing, met various people with nothing to "prove" it, but the meeting was the point! I wouldn't ever pay much extra for a signature, and even then the particular comic issue or story would have to mean something to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Haven’t see it expressed that way before. Hard to think of the art as
subordinate to the signature.
———————-
It wasn’t, it’s just that it was easier to get autographs than art, & writers
mostly just gave autographs as well (I think only Neil Gaiman did sketches
of mice).
So I have more autographs than art.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I met JB at a Pittsburgh show back in the late 90's and he signed my copies of Man of Steel. A few years ago, I brought my Power of Shazam book to Baltimore to get Jerry Ordway's autograph. He also drew a side profile head sketch of Captain Marvel on the inside cover as well. I was totally over the moon over that and he said he does that for anyone who brings that particular book. Otherwise, I mostly stand in line to meet someone just to thank them(shake hands if they're willing).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I mostly stand in line to meet someone just to thank them(shake hands if they're willing.

•••

Autographs have become commodities to be bought and sold, far from the days when they served as commemoration of a special moment.

I’m especially gratified when people come by to say thanks, expecting nothing in return.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

About the only one I really want at this point is Terry Austin on the items I’ve
already had signed by JB and JB/Claremont.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2024 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Terry’s is one of the ones I do have - he drew me a Popeye sketch as well.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 May 2024 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've told the story before, but I'll tell it
again. I brought a reprint comic for JB at a
Mid-Ohio to get the "infamous" rubber stamp.
When I handed it to John, he asked "you know
what this means don't you?" Pulling out the
stamp. I said I did. But I had one request,
that he make it "To Paul". JB chuckled, made
the inscription and then put the rubber stamp
sig under it.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2024 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have a few that were favorite "celebrities" who have passed (Wilt Chamberlain and George Perez being my favorites), but I don't want to be one of those fans take stacks of comics to have them signed in order to sell them later.

To me an autograph is either a very personal thing to keep as a rememberance of meeting someone or something of historical significance.

If you show me a copy of a book just signed with the author name, it's a nice thing to have, but pretty impersonal.  If you show me with an inscription from the author personally to the owner, that's much more interesting.

As for the historically significant, They vary insignificance depending on how the circumstances.  You show me an authentic Abraham Lincoln autograph on just about anything and I'm going to be wowed.  If you have one of the baseballs that Pete Rose sells by the bushel for $150 saying "SORRY I BET ON BASEBALL" then, no, I probably wouldn't have any interest in it.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2024 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I used to get sketches and sigs for many years, until it became too difficult or expensive to do so. I amassed quite a collection and have since parted ways with all of it. On the back of one sketchbook I asked JB to give me a stamp one time, since I never thought to bring along a reprint comic. He stamped it around the whole border of the sketchbook making the edges all the way around little John Byrne’s and then signed a big real sig in the center with a sharpie.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Ladwig
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2024 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thats a cool memento Dave

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version