Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.19--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Eric Sofer: ITEM: Hank WAS changed back during the run of X-Factor... whereupon they made him even super stronger and turned him into a retard (please pardon the word, but it's just perfectly descriptive to me.) Bad choice upon bad choice...

Yeah, that is an awful word, which you acknowledge, so that says a lot about you. Aside from that, your answer is off base. Hank was changed back to "nonfurry" Beast early on in the X-Factor run (first 2 or 3 issues) and it had nothing to do with increased strenght or intelligence. It was years later during the Simonsons' run that they did a very short term storyline where his strength increased as his intelligence diminished. And each time he was forced to use greater strength, his intelligence would diminish more. It was an interesting plot point and showed Hank using extreme heroism to use his strength to rescue others knowing it was in detriment to himself. And this was resolved by turning him back into the more familiar blue furry Beast. So that storyline was just a short-term lever to get him back to Blue Beast. Not sure why you consider that bad choice upon bad choice. 

And seriously, don't use that word. Be a better person than that. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

John, shame on me if I should know this or if I forgot, but were you approached or considered for X-Factor when it was first released? Were you interested? What were you thoughts, if you can recall or share?

•••

The return of Jean Grey was done in service of X-FACTOR, but Shooter had too many fingers and toes in that pie for me to want to work on the series.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"...Does the world at large know that the furry Beast was once a member of the X-Men before joining the Avengers?..."

I'd have to go back and check my Avengers issues,  but I do seem to recall when his membership was announced it was mentioned publicly through the news that he was a former X-Man.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
The question, has Wolverine ever been seen drunk?

Uncanny X-Men Annual #11 (1987) opened with Wolverine walking
back to the X-mansion, drunk. Chris Claremont and Alan Davis.

In that scene, Wolverine explained to Havok and readers why he
couldn’t actually get drunk.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Scott Wagahoff
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

As someone who deals with some pretty painful shoulder issues, I almost feel sorry for Alt-Beast.

Almost.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

In that scene, Wolverine explained to Havok and readers why he couldn’t actually get drunk.

••

Reminds me of an old joke.

Two guys are sitting in the bar at the top of the Empire State Building. One tells the other there is a spot on one corner of the observation deck where someone can step over the guard rail and the updrafts will prevent them from falling. The second guy doesn't believe it, so the first offers to demonstrate.

They go to the designated corner, and the first guy climbs over and steps off. He remains suspended in the air, gently bobbing up and down. The second guy tries it, and immediately falls to his death.

The first guy returns to the bar, where the bartender shakes his head. "You're a mean drunk, Superman."

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

QUOTE:
I still think the blue Beast was a mistake. Fun to draw, even fun to write, but we lost the real Hank--especially once the decision was made for him to deliberately change his personality!!

As a young child, I had some reprint comics that had the original X-Men and Beast in them, and newer comics with the blue Beast in the Avengers.  Since the two did not look alike or sound alike, I assumed they were two completely different characters.  At this time, I was not collecting comics, but simply reading whatever issues my parents might have bought for me as gifts.

When I grew old enough to buy comics on my own, I was perplexed that two different characters had the same name, and it became a problem that needed to be solved.  But with the imagination of the young I assumed the earlier one somehow died and passed on his mantle to the new character.

When I finally learned that these characters were actually the same, I was shocked.  I quickly adjusted and moved on.  But I still remember being surprised to learn they were the same character.

Edited by Chris Durnell on 18 February 2021 at 11:50am

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Reminds me of an old joke.
---------------------------------

That joke is one of jokes that I first remember my father telling me, years and years ago !   Thanks for the nice memory!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Wasn't there a time when a team named The X-Men wasn't really known inside the Marvel universe? They were sort of spotted at times but who they were was still a mystery to most? Other than The Avengers themselves and Spider-Man would know more. Spider-Man also was a bit of a mystery with sighting descriptions of him varying somewhat as to whether he was good or bad. In contrast The Avengers and their line-up changes were followed by the public and media, so way back in #16 the news of Hawkeye a former criminal, and two bad mutants in The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver was not taken at all well and they had to prove themselves.

The Beast seemed to have become the bouncy joking furry guy by the time he became an Avenger circa #137 (but right after a reprint from when he was feral and thought he'd killed Iron Man). I'm not remembering any kind of public announcement scene with him in it.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 18 February 2021 at 12:13pm

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Taffy" I had to look that up...It hadn't happened to me for a long time...The problem is that there is not really an equivalent in French. Caramel mou doesn't work at all so we'd have to say something like "guimauve".

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

AVENGERS #160

The first time I was able to add 2+17 (pre-furry and then current McCoy):

Edited by James Johnson on 18 February 2021 at 12:25pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2021 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Rebecca: "...Wasn't there a time when a team named The X-Men wasn't really known inside the Marvel universe? They were sort of spotted at times but who they were was still a mystery to most?..."

They were a mystery in that the general public didn't know about them being students,  or their connection to Professor Xavier,  but they were known to the public in their earliest stories. Heck, the team actually worked with an FBI agent originally. 

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version