Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Spectacular Spider-Man #101 Original Cover Art on Heritage Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...what's wonderful about just this reproduction of the original art, is that you gain some insights into how it was put together.

••

This is what I call "seeing the work". I love it when original pages I buy have thinned inks that let me see thru to the pencils, or white out, or razor scratching. Makes me almost feel part of the process. (I have a Kirby page from FF5 that actually has a coffee stain on it!)

At cons, over the years, tho, I have run into "fans" who grumble when the pages are not absolutely pristine, with solid blacks, no trace of pencils, no corrections, etc. I tell them they should be buying prints, not originals!!

(These are often the same people who acquire pencil art and immediately have someone ink it. The pencils alone, they say, look "unfinished". I'm sure if they came into possession of that famous unfinished portrait of George Washington that hangs in the White House, they'd hire someone to finish it.)

Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

(These are often the same people who acquire pencil art and immediately have someone ink it. The pencils alone, they say, look "unfinished". I'm sure if they came into possession of that famous unfinished portrait of George Washington that hangs in the White House, they'd hire someone to finish it.)

Years ago, a friend got a Flash head sketch from Carmine Infantino at a con. Given that this was near the end of Carmine's life, the drawing was on the loose side... which inspired my friend to go up & down artist alley looking for anyone who would ink it! 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That’s a shame

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I’ll bet that friend found someone, too.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
This is what I call "seeing the work". I love it when original pages I buy have thinned inks that let me see thru to the pencils, or white out, or razor scratching. Makes me almost feel part of the process. (I have a Kirby page from FF5 that actually has a coffee stain on it!)

I love this stuff too.   One of my pages is an early JRJR Spider-man page that has a paste-over on Peter's face.   Over the years the glue has loosened a bit and you can see what the original problem was --  John seemed to be struggling with the perspective on Peter's face and eventually went with a straight on view to keep it simple.

(for the record the page is from ASM #245, where JJJ is seen leaving his office with a gym bag and Peter remarks how odd and out of place it seemed.   This was right in the middle of the Hobgoblin arc, so they were laying red herrings all over the place as to his ID.  Could you imagine Jamieson as the Hobgoblin? LOL)   

QUOTE:
At cons, over the years, tho, I have run into "fans" who grumble when the pages are not absolutely pristine, with solid blacks, no trace of pencils, no corrections, etc. I tell them they should be buying prints, not originals!!

Yeah, I don't get that at all.   It's a one-of-a-kind piece of art.   I want the page, warts and all.   The above mentioned JRJR page has yellowed a bit but the paper stock of the paste over is different and is still as white as it was in the mid 80's.   Part of the charm of owning original art! 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

“Charm” is a key word. As with comics, the charm of just being a fan has been ground under the jackboots of the speculator mentality.

sigh

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My Carmine Flash head sketch is one of a handful of
things I wish I never sold. What was I thinking?!?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This went for $90,000.00 two days ago. Congratulations to the buyer!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2019 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That’s nutz! That aforementioned Kirby FF5 page is valued at half that!

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2019 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was quite an amazing, and surprising, price.  This is the second highest price ever paid for Byrne art, at Heritage at least - Uncanny X-Men #137's double-page spread being the highest. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 November 2019 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

BTW, don’t “congratulate” the buyer until s/he sells the piece at a profit.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2019 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I really hope this goes on a wall somewhere, rather than
zipped up in a portfolio or locked in a safe.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version