Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: How will the Brexit work? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As Peter suggests earlier I do suspect foreign influence in both the result and on social media since. Just look at any tweet thread or comments on news websites and try to get your head round the bizarre viewpoints of people actually supporting the potential chaos of No deal. They sound genuinely insane in their pursuit of some ideal of a Britain (or often, an England) that no longer exists. Are there that many stupid and/or xenophobic people out there? Quite possibly but I think they have been manipulated.

It's a really scary time.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well, having been in a fair few arguments with people I actually know, and hearing from a few friends who have also had similar experiences, the answer is yes, there really are that many people out there that think we are still the British Empire and leaving the EU will be a return to the glory days.

Without a doubt the Leave campaign used scare mongering and how people could not see Farage for the fascist that he is, even after using Nazi era posters in his campaign is utterly beyond me.

Look, I get that there are people that did not like the EU, for what ever reasons. But the people that back Farage are not sensible people. And I know a fair few people who do back Farage and do not see him as a fascist, even when posters like this are pointed out to them:

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You're probably right James. To be honest over the last couple of years I've avoided having too many IRL debates about the issues. I suspect I have family members who support all of this and I don't really want to fall out with them over it but if it came up, we would.

I did know some fairly intelligent people in my last job who were openly supportive of the likes of Farage but they were a minority.

Not sure where we this will all end now.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Well, having been in a fair few arguments with people I actually know, and hearing from a few friends who have also had similar experiences, the answer is yes, there really are that many people out there that think we are still the British Empire and leaving the EU will be a return to the glory days.

•••

I’ve used the line before, but Brexit reminds me of a salute to the E-Type Jaguar Jeremy Clarkson did on TOP GEAR. He said it “reminds us of a time when we really were as great as we still think we are.”

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Leigh DJ Hunt wrote:
They sound genuinely insane in their pursuit of some ideal of a Britain (or often, an England) that no longer exists. Are there that many stupid and/or xenophobic people out there?

Patriotism really is the last refuge of the scoundrel; it gives them something to be falsely proud of, when they have no personal qualities or achievements of their own to boast about. So it's not just the stupid and xenophobic, but the numerous mediocre and banal people among us who revel in resurrecting a former glory they played no part in originally creating.

edit: tamn dypos...

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 28 August 2019 at 8:11am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Patriotism really is the last refuge of the scoundrel; it gives them something to be falsely proud of, when they have no personal qualities or achievements of their own to boast about. So it's not just the stupid and xenophobic, but the numerous mediocre and banal people among us who revel in resurrecting a former glory they played no part in originally creating.

I don't think I've wished for a like or love button on the JBF more than I did after reading this.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Koroush knows his stuff. It is a great quote and it has maintained its relevance for centuries.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In some of the Brexit debates, invariably the bloody wars come up. We won the Great War though, dint we? Yes, we did. What does that have to do with leaving the EU?

An irony: an argument repeatedly trotted forth by the pro-Brexit crowd why we must not actually debate and appraise the wisdom of leaving is that it's anti-democratic to ignore the one-off result of the referendum, and yet presumably they are satisfied with Boris suspending parliament to push through his desired agenda.

The pro-Brexit crowd have gone from 'this is an opportunity to strike some great deals' and understanding that a no-deal Brexit would be a full-blown distaster to 'we'll get some kind of a deal' to 'we can still get a deal, but we have to be prepared for no deal' to 'no deal is a real possibility' to shutting down parliament to remove any potential barriers to a no-deal. This would appears to be an attempt to hinder democracy from the highest levels of government. No responsible government would consider a no-deal Brexit and yet here we are with Boris seemingly try to force this madness through.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Is the British public doing anything in case the process ends in a trade disaster? Stockpiling food and meds, etc.?

The whole thing just fills me with Y2K dread.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes: LINK

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

IF the process ends in disaster? I hope I'm wrong, but it surely seems inevitable.

I regretted it before and I regret it now; I still feel strongly that if the United States had a State Department, we might be able to help mediate this with a non-horrific result.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2019 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I read this a few months back in The Independent

Donald Trump has made a last-minute Brexit intervention - claiming his administration is looking forward to "negotiating a large scale Trade Deal with the UK" - after reportedly being lobbied to do so by Nigel Farage.

The former UKIP
(Independence Party) leader (Farage) allegedly told the US president to support the UK leaving the EU without a deal during a meeting in Washington

High-profile Brexiteers have long claimed a trade deal with the US would be one of the key benefits to breaking with the EU

So far this has played out as the script to the present day with Boris getting the Queen's signature to shut down Parliament for a month. Is it really possible that they are banking on the words of Trump in this??? And not only that, but words Farage put in Trump's mouth in a sense? WTF???

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 28 August 2019 at 4:17pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version