Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 02 - Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, one gets the sense that Nightcrawler's foot got pulverized, so quite different... If it hadn't, I expect Nightcrawler might be able to teleport himself free...

Kitty using her power in unexpected ways with the Sentinel kinda reminds of that time Sue Storm used her powers to make the invisible visible (I'm pretty sure that was during John's FF run), which I thought was rather clever...
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Pretty sure Stan and Jack beat me to that one!

And I’m not sure how ANY version of Kitty’s power would result in Nightcrawler’s foot being crushed.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wolverine looking to the skies is a great drawing and a great beat of the story. How is it possible for this to be so good? I think this panel holds a lot of the
answers to that question: This project continues these characters' lives as I
feel them, as real characters with inner lives and real moments "in continuity"
with who they were when we last saw them.

This second issue delivers so much with such ease. That's what I estimate the
term "masterfully done" is for.

Too rushed to gush any more right now, but I am thrilled, impressed and over-
the-moon about these two issues! Thank you!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Gyrich!  How I love to hate that indoor-sunglasses-wearing, redhead-crew-cutted, suit-filling jerk.  Always felt Gyrich was being set up as a more substantial antagonist in the Avengers and X-Men than what he actually became once John left those titles.  (I did jettison the X-Men around the time Paul Smith took over and the Avengers shortly into Colan's run so if Gyrich was utilized after, I wouldn't know.)  I guess he became more tied to the Sentinels so when that threat went away for a while Gyrich also departed?

Just googled Gyrich and read Peter David claims that Jim Shooter based the character on himself.  That's news to me (and not going to touch it with a ten foot pole) but was wondering if that sounds right to you John since you were there for his first appearance and obviously had a hand in his creation.

Must concur with the comments regarding the disturbing but wholly plausible crowd prejudice displayed at the end of issue #2; it's the kind of jarring but layered "defeat from the jaws of victory" vibe Marvel used to sprinkle on its put-upon heroes when I was a reader in the 70s and 80s (a lot more often than it seemed to happen at DC anyway.)  I seem to recall you wanted to give the X-Men an occasional outright victory and Claremont tended to undermine that, but it can work in isolated instances (very effective in this case anyway.)  Great second issue... it's building beautifully and I'm stoked to see what's next. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just googled Gyrich and read Peter David claims that Jim Shooter based the character on himself. That's news to me (and not going to touch it with a ten foot pole) but was wondering if that sounds right to you John since you were there for his first appearance and obviously had a hand in his creation.

••

That's one of those office myths that has been repeated so often people believe it. Physically, Gyrich was modeled after an American friend of my father's from when I was a kid. Shooter named him for a buddy of his back in Pittsburgh.

But let's not cloud the issue with facts!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Enjoyed the second "issue" even more than the first. Tight, enthralling story with wonderful art. The flow of Storm's hair is masterfully done on the penultimate page. Ominous and cool final panel with the Master Mold.

Tiny typo on the final page, second panel, btw: I THOUGHT SENTINELS DIDN'T ATTACK HUMNS

The truck design is interesting and that interior shot with Shaw's feet up is great -- nice contrast in body language.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Tiny typo…

••

Then why even mention it? This isn't a Marvel lettercol. No-Prizes are not handed out for nit-picking.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I know I wouldn't want to live near these people. Would I be demanding government/someone do something? Maybe if a loved one were killed or disabled... but it wouldn't be for Sentinels when one was part of the problem, they hardly make you feel safe. Maybe Jasper SitwelI of S.H.I.E.L.D. could go toe to toe with Gyrich in a battle for the short haircut world champeen?

I always thought there's got to be people in those buildings where comics show buildings being destroyed. Personal injury lawsuits, property insurance claims... "If you've been injured in a super powered fracas call our team of lawyers who specialize in getting you, the innocent non-super bystander, your rightful compensation today." Could a student as described by witnesses of the nearby school for the gifted be arrested or at least brought in for questioning?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 26 July 2019 at 12:17pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Then why even mention it?
--------------------------------------
No criticism intended in telling you it's there; merely a notification, just in case you hadn't already spotted it yourself, the utility of which is that it gives you the option to correct it or not, as you see fit. As you say, this isn't a Marvel lettercol, where the option to go back and tweak it wouldn't be there.

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Absolutely superb closing two pages. Storm's face on the penultimate page is a delight...

It is wonderful to be reading a story that is easy to follow; flowing naturally without twisting the brain of the reader. Amazing what such simple tools like gutters between panels, thought bubbles, and foreshadowing can do to enhance the reader's experience. You could give storytelling classes to many of today's creators.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Start with this learning experience:

BALLOONS!!!

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Great ending, can't wait for Issue #3!!!

X-Men #16 was the first X-back issue I purchased.  I don't know if that final panel was an explicit callback to that cover (I mean, it's Master Mold), but I love seeing it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version