Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Iron Man’s Nose Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

According to LOOPER:

“According to Stan Lee, the reason he gave so many of his characters names with identical first and last initials (e.g., Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards, Matt Murdock) was because he was writing just about every Marvel Comic at the dawn of its Silver Age of superheroes, and the alliteration of the names helped him remember who was who. One of the funnier moments from the history of Iron Man may serve to prove Lee's memory needed the extra help.  

“According to Sean Howe's Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, in 1974 Lee was looking through pages of Iron Man when he asked then Editor-in-Chief Roy Thomas "Shouldn't he have a nose?" Howe says this was an "offhand remark," but regardless it sent "the office scrambling." By Iron Man #68, Iron Man's faceplate was being drawn with its own nose.

“Iron Man's Iron Nose lasted around a year and a half, and it ended with as abrupt a comment from Lee as the one that started it. According to Howe's book, by 1976 Lee was dealing less with the creative side of Marvel than the dollars and cents, but occasionally he still looked through pages. Examining the most recent Iron Man, he reportedly indicated the nose on Iron Man's faceplate and said, "What's this — why is this here?" The unnamed Marvel employee nearby asked him if he didn't want the nose. Lee responded, "Well, it looks kind of strange, doesn't it?" By Iron Man #85, the nose was gone.”

According to reality:

Stan’s comment was based on his feeling George Tuska was drawing Iron Man’s face plate too FLAT. He meant it should look, in profile, as if there was a nose behind it—same as the masks of Spider-Man and the Black Panther—not that the mask itself should have a nose.

Of course, the truth means giving up another Silly (Stupid) Old Stan story.

Back to Top profile | search

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes, from the same Sean Howes book that told us Wolverine was your favorite X Men character as well.

Don Z

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I found it awfully confounding that Iron Man - especially in the Avengers comics - didn't exactly  have a nose, but more like what seemed to be horizontal slits to breath through. So... maybe he had a nose and he maybe didn't.

It's another mystery we'll never know the answer to. In my opinion, not only does Iron Man NOT need a nose, but he probably doesn't need a mouth either.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

No mystery. Look for profiles. It was a fully three-dimensional nose, not a “slit”.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

One upside to the nose debacle, which I have always heard told as the faceplate being too flat and never as a mercurial whim, was that the Mego figure got a nose. I think it gives him a kind of lovable look...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Looks more like a badly colored Vision minus his cape than Iron Man.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 3:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The similarity of the "skullcap" portion of the two characters' faces is baked into the mix. The Vision, however, has never had visible irises, an inverted coffee-spout nose, nor a permanent, rectangular grimace. 

Now that you mention it though, the Mego Iron Man does somewhat resemble Dick Dillin's early design for the Red Tornado, absent the widow's peak shaped skullcap...

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

He was wearing the helmet with the nose when I bought my first issue of Iron Man, but I was quickly introduced to the Gene Colan version from Tales of Suspense and wondered why it was added.

I prefer the artists who drew it expressionless like a helmet as opposed to the ones who gave it hints of facial expression, but I understand how it could help to tell the story or set a mood.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

One of the cool things about Iron Man’s “expressionless” mask is that it can be made to show subtle expressions with the tilt of the head. Tilt forward, a smile! Tilt back, not a happy fella!

Of course, none of this could ever explain why George Tuska had IM kiss a woman!!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
...One upside to the nose debacle, which I have always heard told as the faceplate being too flat and never as a mercurial whim, was that the Mego figure got a nose. I think it gives him a kind of lovable look...

One man's upside is another man's downside. ;-)

I have never liked the way it made the Mego figure look. Not only does he barely look like Iron Man, it looks to me kind of dorky.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, you'd be wrong. Just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong... :-) That face of his has personality! Verve! Zing! Pizzazz! 

So just take your canonically correct Famous Covers Iron Man (which, admittedly, is very cool) and just... just... I don't know what! But stop picking on poor Mego Iron Man!! 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah, it could have been worse... Mego Iron Mandidn't have to suffer with those bouffant hairdos given to Mego Thor and Mego Conan.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version