Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Captain America #314 cover question for JB Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Seven year old me 100% believed that the same person was drawing those heads in every month. I think I thought everyone just worked in the same office and passed things around to finish? A few years later I saw my first piece of original art (one of the World of Krypton covers) at a Motor City Con, and realized the logos / whatnot weren't drawn on.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It was a surprise when I first visited the Marvel offices. First, because they were really small, and second because none of the front line artists worked there.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There were 2 covers that I recall JB inking over Paul Neary - MARVEL TEAM UP Annual#7 (w Alpha Flight), and THING#36 (the final issue).

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks for the reply, JB.  I thought the cover looked more like Paul Neary's work.  I think it was intended to be a Dick Sprang homage, with Nighthawk as an avatar for Batman.  I would have loved to have seen a cover by you along those lines.

I found much of Neary's pencilling for Marvel underwhelming.  He seemed to have changed his style completely from the mid-70s work he had done for Warren (Neary on Eerie!), and not for the better in my opinion.  His later inking of the likes of Alan Davis, Bryan Hitch and Neal Adams was much more to my liking.

In addition to the two covers Vinny mentioned, neither of which I knew about, there was one other (kind-of) Neary and Byrne cover: the 1979 Spider-Man Winter Special from Marvel UK.  Neary drew the cover, but for some reason one of the kids reacting to Spider-Man seems to have been copied and pasted from the splash page to Amazing Spider-Man #189 by JB and Jim Mooney.  I'm not bright enough to know how to post an image without resorting to hotlinks, but I'll risk a hyperlink to the cover on GCD:
link

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Colin Ian Campbell wrote:
"...I think it was intended to be a Dick Sprang homage, with Nighthawk as an avatar for Batman...

I bet you're correct, especially since Mark Gruenwald (a big fan of the Golden/Silver-Age of DC Comics, as I recall) was the writer for that issue.

QUOTE:
... the 1979 Spider-Man Winter Special from Marvel UK.  Neary drew the cover, but for some reason one of the kids reacting to Spider-Man seems to have been copied and pasted from the splash page to Amazing Spider-Man #189 by JB and Jim Mooney...

Yep, that was JB and Mooney on that kid who's pointing, or it's a swipe.

Edited to add LINK.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 10 March 2019 at 5:02pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version