Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Superman Returns in costume (Spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 1  

There's a muscle suit under Routh's costume apparently. One of the reasons for the high neck.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Arvid Spejare
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 2  

Interesting to note that pretty much all the articles about the Superman costume in mainstream media I've seen has been: "Fans of Superman has nothing to worry about. For the upcoming movie, Bryan Singer & Co is going with the original look from the comics."
Back to Top profile | search

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 3  

Craig Ashforth wrote:

Found this article on msn where they rate comic book movie costumes.  It's pretty disrespectful.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/Superheroes?GT1=6542

How is this disrespectful?

Wolverine

Grade: D

Don't get us wrong: Hugh Jackman was the perfect Wolverine. Both X-Men
movies were good movies. The X-Men comic books, of course, are legendary. So what went wrong? Wolverine is supposed to be in yellow Spandex. Everyone knows this. (OK, some people know this. But everyone who truly cares about one of Marvel's best-ever comic book characters knows this.) We don't know who is to blame for this mess, but we can only assume it was some James Dean fan that connected Wolverine's whole "Rebel Without a Cause" brooding attitude to white T-shirts and biker-gang belt buckles. If David Lee Roth could pull it off, Hugh Jackman could have pulled it off too. It's just a shame.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 4  

If anything I think they were a bit generous on that website...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Craig Ashforth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 5  

But it also says Hugh Jackman was the perfect Wolverine and Batman is a 'nut-job'.

Edited by Craig Ashforth on 06 May 2005 at 6:37am

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 6  

Craig Ashforth wrote:
There's a muscle suit under Routh's costume apparently. One of the reasons for the high neck.

And the panties and garter belt.

Oh, that's not a garter belt.  Sorry, my bad!  The way is "Boy Shorts" ride on him looked to me...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 7  

Joe Hollon wrote:

As for those people defending it as "resembling the Golden
Age costume" or whatever...shouldn't it resemble what literally
billions of people are more familiar with?=.

As posted above, virtually every article I have also read says "Whew-you fans don't have to worry, they chose to go with the suit everyone knows and loves."

So apparently, most of the article writers, at least, don't make any differentiation-it is close enough for them

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 8  

Craig Ashforth wrote:

But it also says Hugh Jackman was the perfect Wolverine and Batman is a 'nut-job'.

That's not being disrespectful.  The first is an opinion, and the second is an accurate impression based on the character DC has been publishing since 1986.

Craig Ashforth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 9  

okay. I agree, my wording could have been better. I've edited the post with the link

Edited by Craig Ashforth on 06 May 2005 at 7:25am

Markus Moritz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 10  

For me personal, the new costume is not the most important thing..
I can live with that oldschool superman costume as well as i could live with the CGI  Hulk.
What makes me mad is that many of the actual comicmovies had a weak script /  story. The script is the most important thing for me.. and here sadly many actual comicblockbusters as well as Star Wars Epidsode I & II lags. These and Hulk, Catwoman, Elektra, Hellboy... had all bad scripts and that makes me a little angry, cause there are already so many good stories in the comicuniverses but it seems like nobody read comicbooks befor making a "superhero" movie .

Swamp Thing for example comes out in 1982 and was made without much money (what you can see..) but the movie has still more charme then Catwoman, Elektra, Hulk and Hellboy together.. so costumes and money is not so important for me. Also Wes Craven did a good job as a director, who understands the main character.

So, where are some good scriptwriters and storytellers for further comicmovies.. ???

Edited by Markus Moritz on 06 May 2005 at 8:07am

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 11  

Markus Moritz wrote:
I can live with that old school Superman costume...

This not an old school Superman costume.  Those 30s and 40s drawings of Superman do not look like this thing.  the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s Superman do not look like this thing.  It's fine that you can live with the costume, but do not give it legitimacy it does not have.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Markus Moritz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2005 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 12  

James C. Taylor wrote:

This not an old school Superman costume.  Those 30s and 40s drawings of Superman do not look like this thing.  the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s Superman do not look like this thing.  It's fine that you can live with the costume, but do not give it legitimacy it does not have.

I gave that costume nothing.. (i think it look not very good at all) but I will not argue .
All i wanna say is that "for me" it look much more like the "old school" Superman costume from 1938 than to any other, later one.
It is ok for me that you think it look not like this, but "for me" there are many agreements between Singers version and the one from 1938 ! (though i think the agreements are just a coincidence/accident. maybe Iam wrong..) .
Now.. I would give it my personal legitimacy not yours or any others .

..weak scripts for comicmovies. That was my point (main problem) and not any argue about costumes or CGI effects.

relax & have some fun..

Edited by Markus Moritz on 20 May 2005 at 2:32am

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version