Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Superman Returns in costume (Spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hmm, good point, JB.  It's a bit of a stretch, but not too severe.

Edited by Eric Kleefeld on 24 April 2005 at 1:34pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'd add that we also don't know how much time elapsed between Superman leaving the fortress and Clark applying for his job at the Planet.  It could have taken him a while to establish a civillian life and get a job at a prestigious newspaper before he felt comfortable going out in the open as Superman.

All of which makes Routh as Superman implausible.  He just can't pass for a 30-something Superman.  Reeve could.

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5548436&a mp;postcount=5276

Seems that there was a problem with the original picture we got to see, it was desaturated. Here is a link to a corrected version. Sure, many of you will be upset by the small shield but the red is a much brighter, yet subdued red, but still a red and much, much truer to Superman than the original, more red leatherish look in the original photo.

Jason

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

That new picture, if it is indeed the more accurate one, does look better.  But Routh still looks like Superboy, not Superman.

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

Dammit JB, got me again...

Jason

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

Rob Hewitt wrote:

I think the same thing, but reversed. I think when he returns to Earth in that ship, he will be wearing the black costume with the silver "s". 

Forgive me here, but since when does Superman need a ship for anything?  And the Supermobile doesn't count! 

And what's all this about returning to Krypton?  Does he get the undying urge to visit an asteroid field of kryptonite?

Chris Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think we're all skipping around the issue here.

I know what the people want NOT superman in a thong or speedos They want some boxers not briefs.

Ladies and gentlemen the KIRBY Style Superman Boxers.

AWW YEAH That's what we want to see Superman wants his boys free when he's flyin' he wants little Kal-el to have some room.

DC and Bryan Singer can use my idea free of charge.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

When I was a kid, coloring in Superman coloring books, I always colored Superman's costume blue (you know, Crayola blue), not the paler, more powder blue that it was in the comics. I've since wondered if the powder blue was some sort of shorthand for Crayola blue, because even though it was literally powder blue on the page, I always saw it as a deeper blue in my head.
Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Byrne wrote:
We don't really know how much time elapses between the death of Pa Kent and Clark's decision to head north, but I think we can safely assume it's not a couple of days. Couple of years, more like, which would have made him 16 when he was racing the train and seen by Lois, who would then be about 6 years younger than him -- making her 24 when they meet in Perry's office.

Hmmmm...

I always assumed that Clark left the farm shortly after the death of Jonathan Kent--certainly not two years later.

In fact, doesn't he tell Lois in SUPERMAN II that it was right after his "Earth father" died that the green crystal called out to him and told him to go north?

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
 John Byrne wrote:
We don't really know how much time elapses between the death of Pa Kent and Clark's decision to head north, but I think we can safely assume it's not a couple of days. Couple of years, more like, which would have made him 16 when he was racing the train and seen by Lois, who would then be about 6 years younger than him -- making her 24 when they meet in Perry's office.

Hmmmm...

I always assumed that Clark left the farm shortly after the death of Jonathan Kent--certainly not two years later.

In fact, doesn't he tell Lois in SUPERMAN II that it was right after his "Earth father" died that the green crystal called out to him and told him to go north?

I wouldn't use SUPERMAN II to contradict anything in SUPERMAN I (the former was a bit of a disjointed mess script wise, after Donner was fired).

IIRC, though, Martha Kent's hair is noticeably grayer in the scene when Clark leaves as opposed to the Jonathan Kent funeral scene, which would give merit to the notion of a couple years passing.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

Stephen Robinson wrote:

I wouldn't use SUPERMAN II to contradict anything in SUPERMAN I (the former was a bit of a disjointed mess script wise, after Donner was fired).

Fair enough, although the continuity between the two films seemed to be pretty airtight.

Stephen Robinson wrote:

IIRC, though, Martha Kent's hair is noticeably grayer in the scene when Clark leaves as opposed to the Jonathan Kent funeral scene, which would give merit to the notion of a couple years passing.

If that is indeed the case, then I stand corrected. I'm reluctant to check it out on the DVD to be sure, though--it's very tough for me to watch those two scenes.

James Hampton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
 John Byrne wrote:

Hmmmm...

Glenn I would tend to agree with you. It always played to me like it was even the next day and I always assumed it was. Thinking about it though, I guess we have to assume Clark stuck around and graduated from high school, unless he's running arounf with a GED or something. It's certainly presented in the film as being right after, though. 

Edited by James Hampton on 24 April 2005 at 7:23pm

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version