Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Superman Returns in costume (Spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2005 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

Jason Schulman wrote:
Yes, Eric, and Routh doesn't look old enough.

To me, he looks older--and more appropriate--for the role of Superman than Dean Cain did when he played the part.

I never thought of Cain as anything other than SuperBOY.

And yet, I thought he was FANTASTIC as Clark.

Go figure.
Back to Top profile | search

Marcus Kelligrew
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2005 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

The costume is terrible. Routh is shamed by Christopher Reeve. They can't even get the S curl right! This is not good.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jon Godson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2005 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

OK, this is getting confusing. Can we have just one Superman Returns
thread, please?

Dave Carr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2005 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

Stealing a little of JB's criticism of Spider-Man's movie costume...

How is Ma Kent going to make that outfit?

Otherwise, close, but no cigar, Mr. Singer.  Thanks for not adding nipples and rubber muscles, though.

The good news is, this will still give me a chance to direct the perfect Superman movie when I'm 50.  And the recipe is so simple, really...

1) 3 cups of choice bits of MAN OF STEEL (don't leave out the "Sorry, Miss Lane, you just missed him" scene.  That's a crucial one for Lois' character).

2) One dash of Chris Reeve's costume.

3) A tablespoon of nothing but pages from the actual comics for the casting department.

The only part I haven't figure out yet is the music.  Making a Superman movie without John Williams score is like...well....Superman II, I s'pose.

John Staton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2005 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

Funny how some will pass on that rubber Bat Mask or that Thing outfit but will make out like this is the worst Superman costume they've ever seen.

People forgave that DD costume, X-leather, and that organic webbing. How can this being any worse?

Routh will never be Reeve, there will never be another Reeve, nothing is ever as good as the original. That being said, I still want to see this movie.

Rik Levins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2005 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

The 'S' shield and the boots look like they're made of carbon fibre, the stuff the "Fast & Furious" kids like to put on their cars. I doubt that there's any 'give' to that shield, so it probably has to be small to avoid digging into his chest when he moves.

When the first Chris Reeve Superman movie came out, I didn't even know it was in production. The first I heard about it was a trailer I saw while watching some other (long forgotten) flick. They showed a closeup of Reeve's face, with the steel-blue eyes and cleft chin...I'd been a fan of the comic books for years, and I remember thinking, "Holy crap, where'd they find that guy? He's PERFECT, looks exactly like a Curt Swan drawing brought to life!"

Didn't get that impression with this guy. Somehow he looks more like Jerry Seinfeld than Superman to me. And the belt buckle may seem minor, but trust me, it is a VERY bad sign...

Back in the seventies, they did a Doc Savage movie. There was a poster of Ron Ely in the role, which looked pretty awesome at first glance. Until I noticed the belt buckle, which had "Doc Savage" on it, and just screamed, "camp". I knew immediately with a sinking feeling that the movie would suck big time, and unfortunately I was all too right.
Now I'm getting that exact same feeling again. I hope I'm wrong.

Chris Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2005 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think routh looks the part, but the costume...

The speedos the protruding shield.. Uuugh.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 8  

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
...To me, he looks older--and more appropriate--for the role of Superman than Dean Cain did when he played the part.

I never thought of Cain as anything other than SuperBOY.

And yet, I thought he was FANTASTIC as Clark....

I found every actor to be excellent in Lois & Clark except Clark himself, Lois was great and Lane Smith was great as Perry White. Dean Cain was not really "right" for me. Now looking at some reruns I liked him better, though it's obvious that playing Superman, it wasn't anything he took seriously.

Edited to add that I really liked Margot Kidder, but this Lois was to my surprise an even better Lois.

Edited by Lars Johansson on 24 April 2005 at 6:39am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Staton wrote:

Funny how some will pass on that rubber Bat Mask or that Thing outfit but will make out like this is the worst Superman costume they've ever seen.

People forgave that DD costume, X-leather, and that organic webbing. How can this being any worse?

Routh will never be Reeve, there will never be another Reeve, nothing is ever as good as the original. That being said, I still want to see this movie.

Wrong forum man... that is all they talked about on these here boards.

With me, as far as costumes go etc. I view it like when a new creative team comes on a book, costumes change etc. and different dynamics are introduced. I actually liked the X-Men costumes for the movie, I thought they were pretty slick but I hated the Matrix word being attached to them. I didn't like Morrison's rubber suit versions though. I always visualized Kirby's dark blue X-men uniforms as being a type of leather, I have no doubt in my mind that Thor's chest and cod piece are a dark leather for example. I had no problems with that.

I like the Batman movie costumes but I preferred the more armoured looking ones to the fake musculature, they tried to make it look too comic booky if you know what I am saying but the first two movies they looked decent and I didn't mind the colour changes because again, how different is that from a new creative team. What I didn't like was some of the story changes... I want Joe Chill, not Jack Napier, I want the Red Hood, not two bit hood Jack Napier, I wanted a failed comedian who snapped. I enjoyed the movie but it is the least faithful comic adaptation next to the Hulk (which I enjoyed as well, sue me).

As far as Routh never being Reeve... I don't want Routh to be Reeve!!!! I want Routh to be Superman and so far I haven't seen that, I have seen a publicity photo to show off the design of the new costume that doesn't take into account lighting, camera angles etc. that make these costumes work. When I see a trailer of Routh playing Clark/Superman... then I will pass judgement. I have YET to see the guy act, let alone play Superman in a movie!!!! He won't be Reeve, but he could be as good if not better.

Jason

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 10  

Lars Johansson wrote:

to add that I really liked Margot Kidder, but this Lois was to my surprise an even better Lois.

I always noticed a little continuity glitch in the first Superman movie and I was wondering if anyone else noticed this...

When Clark is racing the train they show a little girl trying to tell her family about it and the woman (Lois Lane from George Reeves' show) says "Lois Lane, you have a reporter's imagination". Now, this little girl was maybe, MAYBE 10 at the LATEST, more like 7 but this is just before Pa dies and Clark leaves and creates the Fortress and returns 7 years later. Lois Lane is SUDDENLY HIS AGE!!!!!!!!! Superman is 25 and Lois Lane should be 17 at the oldest according to that previous scene.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

I believe the part about the girl being Lois was cut from the theatrical release, but later restored on video.  That's one line that should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

When Clark is racing the train they show a little girl trying to tell her family about it and the woman (Lois Lane from George Reeves' show) says "Lois Lane, you have a reporter's imagination". Now, this little girl was maybe, MAYBE 10 at the LATEST, more like 7 but this is just before Pa dies and Clark leaves and creates the Fortress and returns 7 years later. Lois Lane is SUDDENLY HIS AGE!!!!!!!!! Superman is 25 and Lois Lane should be 17 at the oldest according to that previous scene.

"By the time we return to your new home, twelve of your years will have passed. . . " So intones Marlon Brando as Jor-El in the first movie. If Clark was 18 when he arrived at the Fortress, that makes him 30 when he applies for a job at the Daily Planet. We don't really know how much time elapses between the death of Pa Kent and Clark's decision to head north, but I think we can safely assume it's not a couple of days. Couple of years, more like, which would have made him 16 when he was racing the train and seen by Lois, who would then be about 6 years younger than him -- making her 24 when they meet in Perry's office.

Since Margot Kidder was herself only 28 when they started shooting "Superman - The Movie" that's not such a stretch, really.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version