Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Donner Version of "Superman II" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

Which movie are you referring to?

Superman 1-4.  I thought the studio simply replayed the same music in every installment.

Back to Top profile | search

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

Sam Karns wrote:

Superman 1-4.  I thought the studio simply replayed the same music in every installment.

John Williams only did the score for the first film.  When Donner was shown the door, Williams chose not to return for the sequel.  His themes were re-worked and re-orchestrated by Ken Thorne for II and III.  You can tell if you listen to the opening theme of SUPERMAN II and compare it to SUPERMAN I, as it sounds like a watered-down version of the original.  For SUPERMAN IV, they brought in Alexander Courage (he of the STAR TREK theme), who once again primarily worked with the themes composed by John Williams. 

I'm guessing that the use of the same theme throughout the series is one of the reasons that Superman and the John Williams theme are so inextricably linked in the eyes of the general public.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 3  

My favorite scene in the first Superman is when he made his public debut saving Lois from the helicopter accident.  What made it for me was the narration of the TV reporter and the screaming of the crowd, plus Lois's line "You've got me?  Who's got you?"  Even though we all knew how it would turn out, and even though we're all used to the concept of Superman, it was done so artfully that we shared the fictional crowd's shock and amazement at what they were seeing, as if we were all encountering Superman for the very first time.

Looking at that scene really impresses upon me how seriously Donner took his source material and how skillfully he went about directing it.  We don't see enough of that.

edit to add:  When Christopher Reeve died I took out my DVD, almost reflexively, and played back that scene.  Something about watching it both lightened my heart and amplified my grief, the feeling that the Superman who I was introduced to as a little kid was gone.

Edited by Eric Kleefeld on 21 April 2005 at 12:00am

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 4  

We don't see enough of that.

If you mean we don't see enough of that today?  Yes!  God Yes!  I still have the book titled Marvels.  The work done by Alex Ross were wonderful, I wish a filmmaker could present superheroes like Ross did, but Donner was the closest.  It was a spectacle that will be etched in my brain forever. 

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 5  

Zaki Hasan wrote:
John Williams only did the score for the first film.  When Donner was shown the door, Williams chose not to return for the sequel.  His themes were re-worked and re-orchestrated by Ken Thorne for II and III.  You can tell if you listen to the opening theme of SUPERMAN II and compare it to SUPERMAN I, as it sounds like a watered-down version of the original.  For SUPERMAN IV, they brought in Alexander Courage (he of the STAR TREK theme), who once again primarily worked with the themes composed by John Williams.

Not really correct I believe, though I'm not sure. John Williams was back making new music for Superman IV according to the title sequence. The new tunes composed by Williams are probably, I don't know exactly, a new theme for Atom Man and another tune that I don't remember.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 1:55am | IP Logged | 6  

Lars Johansson wrote:
Not really correct I believe, though I'm not sure. John Williams was back making new music for Superman IV according to the title sequence. The new tunes composed by Williams are probably, I don't know exactly, a new theme for Atom Man and another tune that I don't remember.

You're not wrong.  Here's the best info available, courtesy of Superman Cinema:

The main titles stated "Music by John Williams"; however, specifically for this soundtrack it is almost absolutely the responsibility of Alexander Courage, who in the same titles appear credited with the following description: "Music Adapted and Conducted by Alexander Courage" (the music for "Superman II" had a title credit in a similar form).

According to official information John Williams accepted the responsibility of composing the music for this film; however, his contribution was only reduced to the composition of a pair of new themes for the sequel ("Lacy's Theme" and "Nuclear Man's Theme"), while the rest of the work had been delegated to Alexander Courage, who prepared the cues and orchestrations, based obviously on the original compositions from Williams.

In other words, the music is mostly crap because John Williams had next to nothing to do with it (oddly, or perhaps not, I always did like the Nuclear Man theme...now I know why).

Ed Deans.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 7  

Zaki Hasan wrote:
Here's my question and JB's response from the old boards: ...

Thanks for that info. I wasn't around for the old boards. I'm glad to see someone's taking us "newbies" under their wing. Some boards are a bit more, how can I put it? Hostile.

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 8  

Gerry Turnbull wrote:

ive been promised a copy of this, all being well,if im not let down, id happily run off a couple of copies.

what do you all think?

Gerry

Add me to that list. LOL

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 9  

Matt Reed wrote:
SUPERMAN IV is bad.  If you like it, that's cool.  You're just a fan of a bad movie.  No shame in that.  But to try and say it's something other than bad is like saying crap is anything other than what it is.  No amount of restoration is gonna turn this sidewalk drawing into a Michelangelo fresco.

Urmmm, what is Michaelangelo came along and refined the drawing and making it his own work? I mean, Lucas' wife SAVED Star Wars from being a disaster.

Jason

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 10  

Ed Deans. wrote:
 Zaki Hasan wrote:
Here's my question and JB's response from the old boards: ...

Thanks for that info. I wasn't around for the old boards. I'm glad to see someone's taking us "newbies" under their wing. Some boards are a bit more, how can I put it? Hostile.

Happy to help. :-)

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Matt Reed wrote:
SUPERMAN IV is bad.  If you like it, that's cool.  You're just a fan of a bad movie.  No shame in that.  But to try and say it's something other than bad is like saying crap is anything other than what it is.  No amount of restoration is gonna turn this sidewalk drawing into a Michelangelo fresco.

Matt, this cover is clearly the sidewalk drawing if anything. I am really worried what has been done to improve the movie when it comes to editing for example. (As a sidenote, look what the artist has done, look at the S emblema there at the top left corner - I have cropped the image - a "Superman Lives" S or what?)

Zaki Hasan (who also provided some facts and an excellent link to a movie site, look above) wrote:
...In other words, the music is mostly crap because John Williams had next to nothing to do with it (oddly, or perhaps not, I always did like the Nuclear Man theme...now I know why).

Thanks a lot. So a better DVD would be at least including John Williams restored music that he actually composed for the Superman movies, such as those themes. 

This lost scene, with the right theme music, is not Michelangelo but a lot better than the drawing above it.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 12  

To this day, I have never seen Superman IV. Doesn't sound like I've missed much.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version