Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Donner Version of "Superman II" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 1  

The Chief.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ed Deans.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 2  

Lars Johansson wrote:
The Chief.

Whoa! Byrne was involved with Superman IV: The Quest for Box Office Reciepts?

Back to Top profile | search

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 3  

Ed Deans. wrote:
 Lars Johansson wrote:
The Chief.

Whoa! Byrne was involved with Superman IV: The Quest for Box Office Reciepts?

Here's my question and JB's response from the old boards:

ME:
I have to say, though the movie on the whole is forgettable, the little speech Christopher Reeve gives at the end, talking about why he was wrong to think he could rid the world of its nuclear problems is really quite wonderful. It underscores how Reeve owned that character and why he casts such a long shadow in the role. It's sad that the film he had the most input into turned out to be such a disaster. Still, this was a beautiful moment in an otherwise unremarkable cinematic experience.

JB:
About the only thing I can take credit for -- and that obliquely -- is that speech at the end. Originally, Chris had wanted Superman to successfully rid the world of nuclear weapons, and I'd pointed out to him that it was really not a good idea to have the audience come out of the theatre into a world that was very much not the one they had just seen in the movie. So it became a "lesson for Superman" movie, instead of what was originally envisioned.

(Reeve also wanted Superman to die in that movie -- but that's another story!)

Beyond that, my involvement came down to meeting a couple of times with Reeve and the appointed screenwriters, batting around some ideas, and writing a couple of screen treatments, neither of which were used in any part. (One became "The Earth Stealers" graphic novel, the other I discarded.)

Edited by Zaki Hasan on 20 April 2005 at 4:17am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 4  

Zaki, had I known this, what I now read, I would have been even more confident.

You not only knew a lot more than me about John Byrne and Superman IV, you also liked the part that he did very much, without knowing he was behind it! The footage leading up to the final climax, the speech, written by the fine artist is what I want restored which is far more interesting than that awful cover presented here, not saying that the poor attempts restoring Superman II, the movie itself, has some value.

But this discussion i find to be very stimulating and of major importance, finding what is worth restoring and what is not. And finding out what is good art and what is not.

The fine artist does not want to be connected with what is bad, because he knows what's good. The bad artists take over and  we will all be left with bad DVD covers, by "artists" without self-criticism, and probably also badly assembled versions of even the good movies. With the release of the Superman II cover, we are perhaps witnessing such a scenario while, the ever so littly involved fine artist's only movie is ordered to be burnt.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Lars Johansson on 20 April 2005 at 5:11am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 5  

Zaki Hasan wrote:
(To Lars)...Given the choice between crappy Richard Lester footage and crappy rejected Sydney J. Furie footage, you're darn right I come down on the side of Richard Lester...

I'm not sure I know about the Sydney J. Furie footage. What's that all about?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 6  

Matt Hawes wrote:
I'm not sure I know about the Sydney J. Furie footage. What's that all about?

Just like a portion of Superman II was thrown out, the same happened to Superman IV. If you have seen the movie, suddenly Superman is sick and looks old. Mainly the part where he ages, about 45 minutes or so was removed. The lost footage includes another meaner looking Atom Man.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 7  

Lars Johansson wrote:
Zaki, had I known this, what I now read, I would have been even more confident.

You not only knew a lot more than me about John Byrne and Superman IV, you also liked the part that he did very much, without knowing he was behind it! The footage leading up to the final climax, the speech, written by the fine artist is what I want restored which is far more interesting than that awful cover presented here, not saying that the poor attempts restoring Superman II, the movie itself, has some value.

Lars -

JB has said that none of his two screen treatments ended up being used in any form for the film.  When he says he can take credit for the speech at the end (obliquely), I'm assuming he doesn't mean "take credit" in the sense that he wrote it, but only in that it arose from the thematic necessity he brought to Chris Reeve's attention, that this be a "Superman learns a lesson" movie as opposed to a "Superman changes the world forever" story.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind (in a train wreck sort of way) seeing what it was that they chopped out of the flick.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 8  

Zaki Hasan wrote:
...Regardless, I wouldn't mind (in a train wreck sort of way) seeing what it was that they chopped out of the flick.

http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/superman4/general/extra_foot age/extra_footage4_page2.htm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 9  

SUPERMAN IV is bad.  If you like it, that's cool.  You're just a fan of a bad movie.  No shame in that.  But to try and say it's something other than bad is like saying crap is anything other than what it is.  No amount of restoration is gonna turn this sidewalk drawing into a Michelangelo fresco.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 10  

Lars Johansson wrote:

http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/superman4/general/extra_foot age/extra_footage4_page2.htm

Thanks for the link, Lars.

Ben Tinsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

Andrew Kneath wrote:

Aleady discussed in another thread...

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5303& amp; amp;PN=1&TPN=1

Don't you think we could cut JB some slack? After all, it's HIS board!

Al Flores
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 12  

Superman IV was a bad movie.
Who was the editor on that one Edward Scissorhands?

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version