Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: If I Went Back to Marvel... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

Whatever you want but if possible follow the model of the New Visions releases where each issue is double or triple sized with a complete story. Otherwise, you’re doomed to have the dreaded second issue drop off which leads to everybody saying the book is a bust before the first story arc has even been told/read. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

THOR

THE INVADERS - Set during WWII
Back to Top profile | search

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

A team up book of either Ben Grimm & She-Hulk or Ben Grimm and Spidey.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

FF does come to mind, but that's already been done, so...maybe a brand new team book mixed with new creations and a couple of established characters.

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

Salem's Seven

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

To add to my vote for Imperial Guard

- Less likely to fall into a tie-in, but easily could
if you wanted it to

- A cast of characters that could fall into anyone's
favorite archetype. There are at least 3 or 4
characters I would gravitate towards and be interested
in seeing them developed.

- Epic, which is what i feel you are best at

- Can progress and end without impacting the earth
based Marvel. But you could go to earth if you chose
to.

EDIT: It may be interesting to grab at least one
outsider character from earth to be a link and kinda
"our eyes" witnessing it all ...

Edited by Thomas Woods on 10 June 2018 at 1:09pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

I's love to see JB tackle the classic Defenders: Namor, Hulk, Doctor Strange and the Surfur. (Plus Valkyrie and Nighthawk) but I doubt he could do much since all four would be under the control of various editorial offices and creative teams. Which means he'd have to follow their leads and when Loki becomes Sorcerer Supreme or the Hulk is replaced he's out of luck with whatever plot he's developing. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

Add my name to those requesting the return of X-MEN: THE HIDDEN YEARS.

I don't know what's being done with Namor these days, but if he's still his usual self, I'd love to see JB "take" him.

If the current writer of THE IMMORTAL HULK was to suddenly leave after a few issues I can imagine JB taking it over. The title has a very "back to 1962" feel. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

You've done so many titles with so much passion that it's not possible to pick one single title. However, I doubt you're going to be able to do six titles a month.... you did stress realistic.

You also emphasized Marvel as it is now, so any action that you take would be unlikely to change their model... thus, while I would love to see your vision running things as Editor-in-Chief, that's out.

I would like to see 'most any of the following: Mostly something in your own corner of the Marvel Universe, and untouched by the current madness. Titles that are not associated with the current storylines or current era, therefore.

THE PAST: The Invaders, certainly. (Maybe with more heroes... I rather liked the the Liberty Legion.) The 50s Avengers. Lost Generation, unquestionably. 

THE FUTURE: Deathlok. The Guardians of the Galaxy (the real ones.) I think you could do a bang up job on Killraven... it seems the kind of title where you could use established Marvel mythos, but only the bits and pieces that you like, while still providing a wide open canvas. Almost like Kamandi, and I could see you giving it a Kirby-esque treatment.

ALTERNATE FUTURE: Spider-Girl or A-Next. The next generation of Marvel heroes, including - but "ignorant" of - the Marvel Universe as you'd have established it. I'd especially like your take on the Fantastic Five.

WHAT IF-: Well, yeah. Kinda obvious. But with your ideas, and very specific ideas... not just general characters or groups in a generally different scenario.

CURRENT TIMELINE: Silver Surfer, Starlord, etc. - something far away from the Marvel Earth that their shenanigans don't affect. I'd especially like a treatment of the Super-Skrull, with a gradual change in the character to - if not a hero - a positive anti-hero. You could also do a great job with the Exiles - a team of Marvel heroes from alternate Earths.

MARVEL UNIVERSE SHOWCASE - as Rich Marzullo noted. A chance for you to do arcs of characters that you want without being forced to do thirty or forty issues. Fantastic Four, Thor, the Avengers, Hawkeye, Marvel Two-in-One type team-ups.

Obviously, YOUR desires would be of main consideration; but these are books that I would undoubtedly purchase.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

A return to the FF or The Invaders.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

I would like to see the Clone/Son of Dr. Doom return.  Doom killed him in FF #199.  The good version of Dr. Doom with the powers of the FF.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

I don't think my name in the title would be much of a draw! (No pun!)
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

I think you'd be surprised. It would certainly get me buying, that's for damn sure.

Anyway, in thinking about this, it occurred to me that not only do you draw some lovely heroines, your voices to said characters have always been exceptional there too. (No one else ever nails She-Hulk like you do.) So maybe something that was almost like that A-Force title of female Avengers. Except, and this will seem contradictory, it should not be limited to females only. I think just a team of characters that has lots of decent Marvel heroines on it. Sort of like when Chris Claremont in the late 80es was doing an X-men team that at one point maybe only had two men on it. (Wolverine and Havok If I recall correctly.)

As others have indicated, seeing you draw Captain America and Thor would be a treat too. As would a graphic novel for Doctor Doom. (I don't think ongoing titles are a good idea for villains, but a one off that really got back into exploring Doom's mindset would be, well... Fantastic!) 

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version