Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: If I Went Back to Marvel... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

THERE ARE ALREADY TEAMS WORKING ON THOSE TITLES.

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

JB said, "...what you guys think is out there."

There is nothing out there.
The publishing arm of Marvel Industries is a hollow echo of what it was and what it should be. YOU would be 'What Is Out There' because Marvel-of-today is coasting on the soul of what YOU crafted.

The 80s era of a thriving living Marvel Universe depended on your peers at that time and they have been driven off. If you went back, you'd be alone...but you'd be a frikkin' GIANT! Only YOU could do it.

The best way to go back is to go full Retro. Show everyone how it's done proper and bring MARVEL back to life. The internet is stupid so it wouldn't know what hit it, but if you really owned it, you would blow everyone's mind.

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

What about Ka-Zar but with a Cthulhu twist?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

I have not read a new Marvel comic in a long, long, long time.  I would read a new John Byrne Marvel comic - any new John Byrne Marvel comic.  Would Invaders, set in WW II, work today?  Would it sell?  I don't know.  I *feel* like it would but that is maybe colored by the fact it is something I am eager for.  I do however think a return to Hidden Years would work.  

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

To be honest, given how long it's been since JB has worked for Marvel, I'd believe it would be very marketable to announce his return with any project possible! (What's out there is not important.) 

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

The more I think about it, the more Hidden Years seems like a no brainer. You could drop some trade paperbacks or hardcovers of the older ones with the launch of the new series.

Even just call it John Byrne's X-Men vol. whatever and there's gonna be a market. Maybe pulling 50,000 people to a monthly doesn't work anymore due to the market collapsing, but that name is going to bring people to collections over time.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

So the project needs to have limited exposure to potential editorial interference, not be a fixer-upper job, not have a current creative team, and be something that can be both creatively fulfilling for JB and garner a large enough audience to be financially viable for Marvel?

I'm going to go with a "Captain America and the Invaders" circa WWII as my revised answer. It appears that there will be an increased interest in Cap's stories next May. A compelling one-shot or graphic novel may spark enough interest to turn it into an ongoing series or series of specials. Because the stories happen in the past, editorial influence would (I think) be at a minimum and JB wouldn't be subject to crossover events. No need to reset or reboot. Just hit the ground running.

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

IF Marvel were to contact JB and ask him to pitch a series, I'd love to hear that it would be a Marvel Team-Up series with the Super Skrull as the main character teaming with other cosmic characters and let him run wild with whatever tales he wanted to tell.

Kevin Barber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

I would love to see John explore;

- Machine Man

- The 3D Man

- The Liberty Legion

- An all villans tittle (Like Secret Society of Super Villans from DC )

- Marvel Team up 

- Marvel Two in One

Edited by Kevin Barber on 11 June 2018 at 3:35pm

Scott Adsit
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

Doom vs. Doctor Strange

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

- Marvel Team up

- Marvel Two in One

•••

Those would require a knowledge of the characters I do not have.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

I would like to see a monthly DOCTOR DOOM book.

Our host writes and draws the character so well that I think a monthly book that is (sort of) in the spirit of his "Interlude" story would be terrific. You would see Doom making and following through on his various evil plans with the superheroes (not just the FF) in supporting roles as they attempt to foil them. 

Doom's greatest power is his intellect and how he uses it to manipulate others for his benefit. So you could also see Doom using other heroes and villains as pawns in his schemes, with Doom either coming out on top or being thwarted by his own ego or other shortcomings.

I haven't read or collected any comics in five years. But if Mr. Byrne were to take charge of a Doom-themed title I would gratefully come out of hibernation.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version