Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: If I Went Back to Marvel... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 1  

Being realistic (or just probably pessimistic?) I don't have confidence in that retailers would give proper support to a JB ongoing but if I'm able to pass that... Let's say we talk about mini-series or special projects...

I'd like to see, as has been mentioned before, JB tackling Doctor Strange. I have fond memories of Blood of the Demon so, something with a bit of horror in it would be nice.

If I had to choose characters in which he had worked before my choice would always be She-Hulk.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 2  

JB, by realistic I assume you mean something that has reasonable sales.

•••

I don't do it for the money. Never really have.

Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 3  

I don't know what occasionally makes you agree to be "art robot" -- but that seems like a "realistic" scenario at Marvel -- one which I would leap at.

I don't know what title or character that fits, but I'd be interested in any book you agreed to do that way.

Frank Gurstelle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

A Kitty Pryde and Colossus book.  They are a newly married couple.  They know everyone in the Marvel Universe, but the story can start on a small scale and expand overtime.  It should have the feel of the old Dick van Dyke show, but in the X-Men universe. Kitty is the lead character.  Everyone's favorite mutants make guest appearances.  Call it Family X.  

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

A new team, maybe characters that hasn't been used in a long time or/and some new ones, characters that live outside of time or maybe in the Negative Zone, something that will give us cosmic grandeur, science fiction stories and above all, keep them far from crossovers.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

Are you going to reveal what you would want, JB?

Brian Philbin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

Definitely, my first choice would be Invaders. I *loved* the glimpse you gave us in Namor, so long ago. Looked like a spinoff would've been a lot of fun!

I agree with Jim Petersman that a "Generations" or "The Hidden Years" type of book would be great fun for us. Anything on what they call Earth-616.

My personal feeling is that Marvel has worked-around some of my favorite characters so heavily, I can't imagine that there's any way to rectify them. So, having a "safe haven" to tell good stories in a universe that isn't too terribly messed-around-with would be optimal.

I absolutely adored the recent "Unstoppable Wasp", which was canceled, but I loved where they were going with her and her organization (G.I.R.L.) - I think you would be great with that, too.

Thinking in the current universe, I'd still read anything you chose to go with (except Spider-Man, whom I've oddly never been particularly enamored of, regardless of writer or artist).

But, sadly, this is entirely a "What If" scenario - so I'll just continue to dream about it...

Brian G. Philbin
Webmaster, MetropolisPlus.com

Lars Skau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 8  

Daredevil
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'd be down with the Invaders.

Thor could be really fun since we haven't seen JB deal with him much.

The Avengers would click for me.

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

An original new title that guest stars any hero you feel like working on for the issue. it's a carte blanche concept. You only go back if they let you run one or two-issue stories on whatever you want. You get to either invite talent to work with or you can write and draw the book yourself. Look up storylines you wanted to conclude. The title, "John Byrne's Otherverse" springs to mind. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

Are you going to reveal what you would want, JB?

•••

I started this thread to find out what you guys think is out there. To be honest, I'm not getting much sense of that from these wish lists. (Honestly, I begin to think some of you don't understand "realistic".)

It's strictly a "what if", like I said.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'd like you to do a 'take it back to the basics/get them back on track again' run on Captain America or Incredible Hulk.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version