Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: If I Went Back to Marvel... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

I would like to see Invaders set during WWII. Followed, in order of preference, by Thor, Daredevil and Ghost Rider.

Part of me would like to see Fantastic Four Forever or Avengers West Coast Forever. Seeing those titles picked back up where you left off and not otherwise tied to continuity is certainly appealing. On the other hand, trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice seems like a risky move.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

John Byrne's GALACTUS DESTROYS THE (CURRENT) MARVEL UNIVERSE

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

I’m gonna go a little outside the box.  Marvel just got the Conan rights back.  And that’s it’s own world, free of crossover interference.

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

A series called 61 which is a set of stories told from
the beginning of the Marvel universe of how all the
teams started and the connections and relationships we
know now came to be. Not a prequel but more of a Hidden
Years style of the entire Marvel Universe and the gem is
since it starts in 1961 and the Marvel universe is
playing by the 7 year rule none of it has to be CANNON
but a take on how the universe might have been.

Edited by James Revilla on 10 June 2018 at 10:50pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'd wouldn't want to see JB back at Marvel. Everything Marvel is doing now has been ensnared in the Culture Wars. Books aren't being judged on quality or sales, but where on the political spectrum it falls. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 10 June 2018 at 11:04pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

This is a hard question to answer since I think that there is very little of the "real Marvel" left that JB might find interesting and enticing enough to get JB to work for them again. My pipe dream Marvel project that I would like to see JB (and other older and newer comic book creators who actually "get it") work on would be a line of all ages Marvel superhero comics set in their own continuity (but NOT a reboot or reinvention of these characters) and free from any film/TV influences and free from any past stories that have happened in the regular MU line. These versions of these characters would be closer to their original versions and would be active as heroes for A WHILE (notice that I intentionally did not say "weeks","months",or "years"). Any classic past stories that have either damaged or greatly altered the characters from their original premise, regardless of how popular or well received those said stories may have been, would not be a part of this new lines continuity. These characters will remain timeless and will not age, get married,or have kids (unless they were already introduced as being either old,married,and parents) and any past stories that happens as the line continues would only be referred to as happened "a while ago". There would also be a ban on multiple redundant versions of existing characters and retconning the established and/or intended race,gender,and sexuality of characters. Encourage the creation of brand new original diverse characters and the use of existing original older diverse characters.

Of course none of this will happen as long as the current dying comic book industry is controlled by mostly selfish anal retentive fans,fans turned retailer,and fans turned pro.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Well, in order to play this game realistically, I have to consider not only what Marvel may find marketable in this era, but also something JB would agree to work on. This makes things particularly tricky.

Based on what I know is of interest to you, JB, my first thought is to say The Invaders, World War II era. But, would modern-day Marvel find that marketable to a new crowd? And could the Powers That Be resist trying to editorially impose changes to match the company's current editorial agenda? Would they greenlight such a series as an ongoing monthly, or decide it would work as a mini-series or graphic novel?

Honestly, and realistically, given the way things are these days, I almost think a new series by JB would have to be some new creation from JB. This is the only way I see pleasing both sides on some level, except... Marvel may not find that marketable, other than what cache JB's name holds for some of us fans.

So, pressed for an answer, I will say the Invaders comic that JB would enjoy, but ... I don't know if modern Marvel and JB would mesh well enough for any serious project to come about (or not fall apart, if it got started).

It's a pessimistic answer, and I am typically an optimistic guy, but it is sadly more realistic.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 10 June 2018 at 11:59pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Lars Skau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 8  

Moon Knight could be great or Old Man Logan.
Not that I know much about Old Man Logan.

But it would be cool to see an old Logan done by Byrne!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 9  

So, pressed for an answer, I will say the Invaders comic that JB would enjoy, but ... I don't know if modern Marvel and JB would mesh well enough for any serious project to come about (or not fall apart, if it got started).

•••

And that right there is a realistic assessment.

Yvan Jullien
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 10  

I am absolutely not interested in the current Marvel universe. 
On the other hand, I would be delighted if John Byrne had the freedom to work on a project disconnected from the current Marvel universe or timeline, à la "Lost Generations" or "XMHY", whether it is located in the past or the future. Whatever the project, John could offer us quality and solid storrytelling because we all know that’s what he does. 

Edited by Yvan Jullien on 11 June 2018 at 1:43am

Bob Freeman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 11  

Ralph Macchio says that he's helping to launch 3 new Conan titles for Marvel. I would LOVE for one of those to be helmed by JB.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 12  

I read again X-Men: The Hidden Years a few months ago and I was frustrated it ended like this. It would be a good choice to continue it.

And Fantastic Four would be great of course!

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version