Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Comics - a sense of wonder Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

1) Going to Ben Franklin's department store at 8 years old and discovering my first 100 page comics...Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes #202 and Justice League of America #111....I heard of them but didn't believe it!

2) Superman vs Spider-Man. The greatest super hero comic of all time....at least to me. ;)

3) The DC announcement that X-Men's own John Byrne would be drawing a three part Batman mini series. 

Edited by Eric White on 05 June 2018 at 3:19pm
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Dave, why would you think your choices wouldn't be popular? And what difference would it make? If everyone came up with the same three moments, this would be a pretty dull idea!

Your ideas were just fine. I would have thrown in Crisis... I forgot at the time what a wonder this was. Truly, up until then, the big crossovers were either the annual JLA/JSA team ups, or that FF/Avengers crossover I picked.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

RE: Uncanny X-Men #155 - that panel with Wolverine pissed me off the first time I read it, because I knew it wasn't possibly true, and the follow up in UXM #156 where he waffled.

Even in comics, there are certain statements that we accept as the real thing. If the narrator says something, we assume it's true. (That was violated for me in the second part of the New Teen Titans / Batman and the Outsiders crossover - "Welcome to the death of the New Titans and the Outsiders" - and then later, "Well, looks like we were wrong! And are we glad!" That is just plain outright wrong.)

And Wolverine here... his comments directly imply that Colossus is dead. If he were in the best hospital, it still wouldn't do any good... how else can that be interpreted? Well, obviously Claremont figured he could get away with one.

Characters might get away with something wrong, but if Superman says something about Krypton or Captain America says something about World War II, finding that to be wrong is extremely disappointing. I think of it as bad writing.

But to be happier - wow! What a great collection of moments! I shared a lot of these, and others are just exciting to think about people experiencing for the first time!

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I would have been buying a half dozen Marvel books a month and a at least Super-boy (Legion of Super-heroes) from DC. I knew the name, Dave Cockrum, so this tease got me excited.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
Dave, why would you think your choices wouldn't be popular?

I fear my intro didn't come across as tongue-in-cheek as I'd intended...

QUOTE:
I would have thrown in Crisis... I forgot at the time what a wonder this was.

I was also glad that Who's Who was coming out around the same time to tell who all of those characters were. Sadly, I'd missed the A volume so it took awhile before I knew who the guy in yellow on the top right of the cover to Crisis #12 (among other cameos throughout the series) was. :-) (Air Wave, btw.)

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Honestly, in my first year or two, everything! It was all new and amazing and I thought it would last forever!

To properly answer the question:

Spider-Man's alien uniform.
She-Hulk in the FF.
Hulk and Banner being separated.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Great choices, Mario. Those were really exciting developments. Loved Marvel at that time.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I saw Superman and Archie comics when I was very young, but a classmate in the 4th Grade made the Marvel books seem so exciting. And they were! Danny loved the Hulk and he drew fast and furious like a young Kirby. I had to buy some for myself!

I liked Thor, so I picked up an issue of Avengers since he was a member. That was Avengers 148. And the Vision dropped Hyperion. Sold!

So many moments. The finale to Micronauts #12.
Wolverine coming out of the sewer.

When I first realized I could distinguish a specific artist (his initials are JB).

It is a long list...

Dave King
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

#1 x-men 122 my introduction to byrne. when i stopped cutting up and coloring my comics, and became a collector.
#2 fantastic four 239, the ff come to my hometown of benson az. i lived by the b water tower.
#3 post crisis dc. i screamed and cried when byrne was leaving marvel i vowed to quit comics forever, but there was this new guy named superman twice a month that rocked butts. and justice league bwahaha!!!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

#2 fantastic four 239, the ff come to my hometown of benson, az.

•••

A time when I could have used Google. I had no idea Benson was a real town.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It hurts me to know that the SNL issue of "Marvel Team-Up" could have been drawn by JB, had the conditions been right. Bob Hall did a fine job, but man...!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

1. It's interesting to me how many of these moments that have stayed with us involve our first comic in which all of the heroes showed up at once. Even before Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions, there was Showcase #100, in which every hero who'd ever debuted or been featured in the comic came together in a story that would later be eerily paralleled by the Doctor Who get-together "The Stolen Earth." Very little story time is spent bemoaning the absence of the heroes who did not debut in Showcase. Everyone gets immediately to the business at hand. Lois Lane is there since her solo self-title comic debuted in Showcase, but of course Superman is not. While the top tier super-heroic types gather to pursue the Earth that's been yanked out of orbit, throwing time into disarray, the lesser-lights and comedy characters are being rounded up by Sam Simeon and Angel O'Day and being kept in their office where they won't get into any trouble. Anthro and his father, Tommy Tomorrow, Binky, and many others. Dolphin makes a welcome appearance saving Sugar and Spike (who did NOT debut in Showcase and probably shouldn't have been there) and the whole thing winds up with two characters whom you might not expect saving us all. Good, good stuff.

2.) I liked the suggestion that one's first time in a comic store could be a moment of wonder. I know for certain that mine was. Hokey smokes... absolutely gobsmacked, I was. Of course, I thought they pretty much had to sell the merchandise at the price marked on the cover, so I did wind up putting a lot of stuff back. As I recall, I bought Marvel Collector's Item Classics #21 that day, however. I still love that comic. A great many comics I picked up at that store (Top Notch Comics at 301 S. Broadway) are still favorites of mine, in part because of where I got them.

3.) Saga of the Swamp Thing #22- My introduction to Alan Moore. It took a long while before I found a copy of #21, "The Anatomy Lesson" and even longer to find Moore's actual debut in #20 in which he played fair and wrapped up Pasko's storyline before moving on with his own. That one never gets reprinted unfortunately, and it should as it sets up the story that takes place immediately after Swamp Thing's "death" in #53. I know Moore is deeply unpopular with many on this forum, but that comic, a comic one could actually READ, blew me away and gave me a lot of hope for the future of the industry.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version