Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Slugfest: Inside The Epic 50-Year Battle Between Marvel And DC Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

WOW...what was Shooter thinking . That book would have been fantastic .
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As long as we're going down that road, I think I'm happier with the early 2000's version we actually got than this aborted one.  As a rule, I prefer Busiek as a writer, and I think George was really on an artistic high point during the 2000's era.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Image result for avengers vs justice league tom smith

JLA and avengers

I agree to disagree Dave....take a look at the 2 images...what's with the "button noses" on the 2000 run...and it was through the whole book...the story felt very rushed and crammed with way to many characters . maybe I just wanted to see the classic characters that were being presented in the original. 
Save

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I honestly don’t have a problem with many of Shooter’s objections. Why would you have Flash & Quicksilver race? It is ludicrous.
Many of the others also seem to be him saying ‘Reflect the current state of affairs’ Seems reasonable to me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think sometimes predictability can be good, but I'd prefer something different.

If DC and Marvel were to do a Batman/Spider-Man crossover, I understand the temptation to have Joker and Green Goblin teaming up. I get that. But it is predictable - like having Flash race Quicksilver - and I'd more inclined to get on board with something different; so, with the hypothetical Batman/Spider-Man crossover, I'd much rather the Dark Knight and web-slinger went up against, say, Mysterio and Mister Freeze.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If I recall, the biggest objection Shooter had (and the one that ultimately killed the crossover) was that DC got Perez to start drawing the book before while they were still in the process of working things out with regards to the story elements he wasn't happy with.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 1:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

http://marvel1980s.blogspot.com/2011/06/1983-jlaavengers-cro ssover-also-known.html 

The link gives a sourced background of things. Reading through it seems Shooter got too involved when the project was to be edited  / controlled by Len Wein for DC and Mark Gruenwald for Marvel, and Shooter doing this was against what Dick Girodano and Jim Shooter had previously agreed.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 05 June 2018 at 1:18am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If DC and Marvel were to do a Batman/Spider-Man crossover, I understand the temptation to have Joker and Green Goblin teaming up. I get that. But it is predictable - like having Flash race Quicksilver...

•••

Are the Joker and the Green Goblin really as similar as the other two?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I suppose I'm thinking that they are both psychotic, they channel that psychotic behaviour in a certain way, and they both have a flair for the dramatic.

But I know some similarities are superficial when you look deeper. Joker and Carnage might, difference in abilities aside, be a closer match (maybe).

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Perez talks about this in his Modern Masters issues. He puts most of the blame on Shooter (which, in hindsight, he admits may not be completely fair.) Still, he was upset when he found out he was working from an unapproved script but also upset because he'd worked with Shooter before and felt Shooter should have trusted him to fix the little inconsistencies he saw along the way, as that's what he was always known to do and was doing on "JLA/Avengers."

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I do regret "peeking behind the curtain" over the years. To my young eyes, SUPERMAN VS THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, which I didn't even know about until I walked into a newsagents, was special. Still is. It just was. At that time, all I cared about was what was in front of me.

I see a parallel with wrestling. Back in the day, I just enjoyed the matches for what they were; in the modern era of newsletters and insider sites, where you know all the backstage happenings, well I wish we could go back to how it was.

Question is, how to wean oneself from "peeking behind the curtain"?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I do regret "peeking behind the curtain" over the years. To my young eyes, SUPERMAN VS THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, which I didn't even know about until I walked into a newsagents, was special. Still is. It just was. At that time, all I cared about was what was in front of me.

••

That book may have been the last time the industry was able to pull off a blockbuster like that. So sad.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version