Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: BEST and WORST Secret Identity Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A pair of glasses can change the perceived shape of a person's face. I've worn many different sizes, shapes, and styles, from my original Clark Kent style horn rims, to my current wire rims, and each has had an effect on how I look. Most noticeably, whatever the style, my thick lenses shrink my eyes, so when I take them off I almost turn into a Keane painting. (In College, when I briefly shaved my beard, my eyes seemed to quadruple in size.)

Big lenses can make a face seem smaller, narrower. Smaller ones can have the reverse effect. Thick or thin frames can have similar effects.

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As a reader I found early '80s Spider-Woman's out-of-costume life as Jessica Drew, detective in San Francisco, to be as interesting as the in costume part, with a great support cast too. The earlier version who didn't know who she was was a bit of an old trope which they'd also started Ms. Marvel out with.

I thought The X-Men (again circa early '80s) had some interest without the costumes or fighting others... the core of being feared outcasts was still there. They really did blow it when Kitty Pryde became some kind of all-around genius and then a bloody ninja on top... bleh, but I liked when she got the pet dragon! Okay, Colossus was hard to make very interesting, but they did give it a good try some times. It seems funny Canadians came after Wolverine but if Russians ever came after Colossus I missed that, and you'd have thought they would if they'd had any idea an asset like him existed.

Hawkman and Hawkwoman as alien police agents had a good basis for having interesting out-of-costume married couple lives. Carter Hall collected and used all kinds of ancient weaponry from Earth's history too. The original '40s reincarnated Egyptian 'gods' bit didn't grab me at all though.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:03am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When I was a kid, I think I liked Peter Parker and Clark Kent better than Spider-Man and Superman.  They were my favorite comics, but Captain America was always my favorite hero--though Steve Rogers had no life whatsoever.  (Stern & Byrne did a good job rectifying that on their all too short run.)  Same with Batman--great hero, blah private life.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Steve Rogers circa Captain America #247-255 was certainly more interesting than he had been. It seemed in the '60s comics he spent half the time anguishing over the fate of Bucky. Not that he shouldn't, just that was kind of the bulk of his character.

I think worst kept secret ID might be Fatman The Human Flying Saucer (3 heroes in one), at least it was pretty obvious when he turned into a green caped '40s Captain Marvel type dude without a mask. And then he had a flying saucer symbol on the chest so that blew the gaff on that too! :^D
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version