Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Any Series From the Past You’d Like to Recommend? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

TOMB OF DRACULA and MASTER OF KUNG FU were two of Marvel's more interesting titles of the 70's even though there were created to hop on the horror and martial arts bandwagons.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I have the first Sgt. Fury Essential. Great stuff!

I recommend any of the Simon/Kirby collaborations. There's a collection of their non-Timely/DC works.

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2018 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

“Jim Stalin's Warlock”
===========================
I can’t read Jim Stalin’s work because I disapprove of how his father ran the Soviet Union.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Lots of great suggestions here. I've been on the lookout for some Hawkman stories by Kubert and Fox for a while now. And team-ups titles such as MTIO and Brave and the Bold are among my favorite stacks of books to curl up with and lose myself in. Characters just seem to come off better if the reader knows they have the approval of Ben or the Batman, and sometimes the combinations strike odd sparks the reader might not have anticipated.

As for Sgt. Rock, many of the stories do end on a similar note; After the mission or surprise attack is over and lives have been lost, Rock shakes his men out of their shock or misery with orders to move on. "Pull out, Easy. No time for goldbrickin'. We got us a war to win..." He himself is not unaffected by what has taken place, but he knows the survivors' chances are better if they keep moving, and they do have a job to do. The effect is only repetitive if one reads the stories all in a row. Part of the hell of war is the boredom and repetition that occurs right up to the moment that things change.

Mitch, you can't deny how great his work was on the story where the Red Skull fused with the Cosmic Cube and accidentally flattened himself into the Red Square...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Adam Schulman wrote:
Has anyone here ever read SGT. FURY AND HIS HOWLING COMMANDOS? If so, how was it?

You have a little bit of Kirby at the beginning and a bunch of John Severin in the middle, so hard to go wrong with the art. Story-wise, it starts off really good with Stan at the helm. Then Roy Thomas takes over ~#29 and quality takes a hit. (It was his first series and, IMO, it shows.) Then Gary Friedrich takes over about a year later and it gets to be even more hit and miss. He did these occasional "The" stories (The Deserter, The Informer, etc.) and an Eric Koenig: Traitor sequence that were generally decent. Others less so. Although his framing sequence in the otherwise reprint Annual... #6? I liked a lot. I think the series' biggest problem was that an early annual had the entire team reuniting to fight in Korea, which I think tied their hands creatively in the main series.    

Also, it's an annoying series to collect. Starting around #80 the series went 50% reprint (as in, every other issue was a reprint), which continued to around #115 or so. Then it was all new until #120 (ending with a whimper) and all reprint from #121-167 (the final issue reprinting the first). Per the statements of ownership, sales actually went up after the change to all reprint so it's hard to question their decision. :-)

QUOTE:
What I heard of SGT. ROCK stories is "every story is exactly the same." I haven't read any, so I have no idea if that's true.

Kanigher is all about The Formula, it's true. But it's a good formula as long as you don't try to binge.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Back to the original question, I liked a bunch of DC's short-lived late-60s books:
Angel and the Ape
Bat Lash (love Nick Cardy)
Secret Six (also liked the continuation in Action Comics Weekly for that matter)

Some other random ones:
David Michelinie's run on Unknown Soldier (Star-Spangled War Stories #183-204)
Steve Gerber's Man-Thing (Fear #11-19, M-T #1-22, Giant Size #1-5)
Skeates/Aparo Aquaman (Aquaman #40-56)
Elongated Man in Detective Comics (started in #326; I forget how long it ran but it was few years)
The Star Rovers (originally a back-up series from Mystery in Space and Strange Adventures, but I think From Beyond the Unknown reprinted most of them)
Sugar and Spike (need more reprints, DC...)

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've been reading, and loving, the Haney/Aparo Brave and Bold stories. I had some of these comics as a kid, but leaned more towards Marvel. They have been collected in Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo. So much ground covered in every issue. It would take most guys these days 6 months to do it.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have the two Robin Archives from his run in Star Spangled Comics that are never less than a delight to me.

IF you can find it, the Superboy archive is also a lot of fun. It is unquestionably the adventures of Superman when he was a boy, but they're honest to the era, and a lot of fun. (Or obviously, you could just collect those issue of More Fun Comics and Adventure Comics. If you can afford to drop down and pick those up as desired, we need to talk about arranging a loan... :)

I must second the recommendation of Jack Cole's Plastic Man. The Spirit series is also unparalleled in story telling. For the most part, each story is a classic.

I love Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, pretty much through the Action Comics run.

I greatly enjoy rereading The Doom Patrol... as has been noted, it's a bit like a Marvel title published by DC Comics.

And if I want a really deep foray into comic book legends, I get out my Essential Fantastic Four books... the first six or so. Rereading those is like reading comic history be written, because so much of Marvel history is in those titles.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'd like to not recommend the Steve Gerber run of Guardians Of The Galaxy that ran under the title Marvel Present. It was very underwhelming. Also the Man Wolf comics that ran from Creatures On The Loose to Marvel Premiere and Amazing Spider-Mans. I've mentioned having/collecting them but I don't want anyone to think these are great classics.

Thumbs up too for the '70s E-Mans, Kanigher-Kubert Enemey Ace  and any Bill Everett Sub-Mariner (but also Marie Severin's). I liked the Marie Severin Dr. Strange run in '60s Strange Tales too (and obviously the Ditkos). They seem a bit overlooked. I really liked Ditko's '60s Hawk & Dove. Nestor Redondo's run of Rima. There were all kinds of single issue Showcase titles too like Dolphin by Jay Scott Pike, and Anthro by Howie Post.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
There were all kinds of single issue Showcase titles too like Dolphin by Jay Scott Pike, and Anthro by Howie Post.

In case you didn't know/might be interested, Anthro got his own short lived series (6 issues; all by Howie Post) after the Showcase appearance.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I never managed to find other Anthro comics, but I did have Hawk & Dove #1 as well as their Showcase appearance. I even had those later Action Comics with Gil Kane art that brought back Dolphin and some of these obscure creations (they missed Brother Power The Geek I bet)... don't let me know if any of these things are up there in Iron Fist #14 territory now.

I remember a funny DC super team comic titled The Inferior Five that I enjoyed, maybe a response to Marvel's Not Brand Eccch? There was also Angel & The Ape at DC. None of these things had long runs.

I would love to get a well printed collection of Kubert's Tor. I hate some reprintings of old comics that are absolutely muddy despite quality paper, they did that with Frank Frazetta Silent Knight... but I had some Plastic Man reprints on newsprint in the '70s that looked great.

Russ Manning's Tarzan newspaper strips were printed in DC's '70s Tarzans and are worth checking out, and there was Kaluta's Carson Of Venus in the back of Korak, Son Of Tarzan at the same time.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The Bolland/McMahon early Judge Dredd.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version