Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: What Characters or Books Would You Have Liked To See JB Tackle? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Eternals
Nova
Thor
Moon Knight
Kamandi
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Given free reign.....

•••

And there's the biggest stumbling block. I hatehatehatehate what's been done to most of the characters you've all been naming, but I've been gone from Marvel and DC so long, the versions that I loathe have become the real ones for so many readers.

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

On that note, I'd love to see JB's take on Silver Age Hawkman. We had a taster in 2004 with the DC Comics Presents Hawkman story that JB illustrated.

Edited to correct the disconnect between my brain and fingers.

Edited by Rod Collins on 27 March 2018 at 8:57pm

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And there's the biggest stumbling block. I hatehatehatehate what's been done to most of the characters you've all been naming, but I've been gone from Marvel and DC so long, the versions that I loathe have become the real ones for so many readers.

The DC characters are mostly back to their normal selves, finally.

Roberto Melendrez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Superman & Batman having sons isn't my idea of going back to normal, Adam.

Jumped off at the New52 and won't jump back on!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'd like to see a continuation of JB's HULK run set in that time period so we can see all the HULK issues we never got to see. 

Also Batman and Kamandi. 

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Rebecca Jansen: The Bugaloos! ... does the mind reel?

Not only that, but now I'll have this stuck in my mind for at least the next couple of hours.

Thanks, Rebecca. Thanks a lot!

Edited by Ted Downum on 28 March 2018 at 7:31am

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And there's the biggest stumbling block. I hatehatehatehate what's been done to most of the characters you've all been naming, but I've been gone from Marvel and DC so long, the versions that I loathe have become the real ones for so many readers.

What probably would work best is a "Limited Series" involving the classic characters of your choice.To see JB draw and write the FF, X-men , Avengers one more time would be a dream come true.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There are the standard want list items, and I would love to see Mr. Byrne working on ANYTHING.

But I have a couple oddball ideas I'd enjoy seeing...

Batman of Earth-2... a Bat book where Mr. Byrne could indulge the world shattering type of stories. Batman of Earth-1 is the Darknight Detective, master of disguise, chemist supreme, world's greatest escape artist, etc. Batman and Robin of Earth-2 are certainly these, but they were in a slightly lighter tone that didn't require a very dark and sinister situation, and that could involve the Bat-Family traveling to another planet for an adventure.

Dr. Mid-Nite. Maybe not a lot different from Batman-2, but I have an affection for the original character.

Starman of Earth-2. Great potential, with a character who is probably the most power non-magically influenced hero on Earth-2. The original Man of Night has a LOT of story potential, I feel, and I know Mr. Byrne would treat him right.

A Cyclops ongoing solo series. Before Scott Summers was turned into a dick, he was a real character who - when he wasn't overwhelmed by whiny self-conflict - was a good story. (I understand his anxiety of his power, but every issue of X-Men having a "Why am I tormented by cursed eyes? My cursed killing EYES? WHY? WHY?? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY??????"... it got a little tedious.)

This last is kind of hard to describe. I liked Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-In-One a lot. But as has been noted, Spider-Man is probably the LAST character who should co-star in a team up title. Ben Grimm is far more suitable, but even in his case, I wasn't so fond of the "one-and-done" story natures, just a "write it and forget it ever existed story."

I believe that Mr. Byrne could do such team ups either single stories, when suitable, or longer arcs... especially if given the permission to make changes to characters in such a book (although of course, such revisions would be more appropriate in a character's own title. But if a character ain't got a book, then...)  I wonder if it would even have to have a constant star (a la Spider-Man or Thing) or if it could support a variety of lead team up characters (Captain America, Dr. Strange, the Human Torch, etc.) Stories could range from the subtle to the massive, and with a variety of characters, Mr. Byrne would have plenty of chance to "clean the pipes", as it were.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"They're in the air and everywhere..." :^)

I wonder about what Gerry Anderson stuff would look and read like John Byrne style too, like some UFO comics to go with those Space: 1999 Charltons. Ironically some 1999 eps were written by Johnny Byrne (a completely different guy). Also there was a real semi-integrated universe to the shows and Century 21/Countdown comics. Mike Noble, Steve Kyte and Ron Embleton were the best artists to work on the puppet based comics, none of whom are Byrne-like  really. I'd love to see John Byrne Stingray most I think after UFO.

I think the most boring now, as Hidden years has been done, would be to see stuff that's already been 'visited', though it would still be good. Doctor Strange should go to the most eccentric experimental type people probably, that way they aren't inflicted on some other characters who might not be able to accommodate that.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Superman & Batman having sons isn't my idea of going back to normal, Adam.

•••

And there's the other stumbling block: so many versions. Superheroes are like the Italian government.

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'd trade everything mentioned in this thread for another four issues of Danger Unlimited, specifically the 1962 to 1973 storylines as mentioned in the DU Timeline thread from 2006 (spoilers in the linked thread):

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version